Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2018, 04:57 PM   #1341
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Agreed. There was plenty of blame to go around, but Can and Wijnaldum were the biggest culprits. Ox too really. The midfield let West Brom walk right through multiple times.

Mignolet luckily wasn't at fault for any of the goals, but he was comically bad. He was completely useless on the goal that was called back. It should have been a simple catch but he's too busy pushing on the back of an oppenent. And he was just as bad on the the play when he was challenged in the air by an offside player. He was way offside, so it didn't matter, but it's like...you know you're 6'4 and can use your hands right?
And this is something that we're going to find out soon, because neither Karius nor Mignolet own their area, but VVD does. So are we content with them to sit back and do as they're told? For now, I guess we dont have a choice, but defenders like their keepers to be a bit more assertive.

I like the old English keepers where they owned their 18 yard box, their CBs knew it and the attacking strikers knew it.

If you want to put your head on a ball being crossed into the box thats your business but you're going to have to do it through their fists.

The thing is, the midfield really let us down today and you could see everything die right in the middle of the pitch and as soon he pulls Can off and injects Henderson the whole things switches 180 degrees but damage done.

I really think we can make the back 4 work with the current personnel but they've got to shore up the holding mids. Henderson cant do it all on his own, Can looks to be out the door and holding mid isnt his best use anyways and Wijnaldum has been woeful lately.

And what the hell is with Mane? He spent more time on the deck than on his feet!

Anyways, just a terrible game, but full credit to West Brom, they wanted that one more. A lot more.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:18 PM   #1342
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. There was plenty of blame to go around, but Can and Wijnaldum were the biggest culprits. Ox too really. The midfield let West Brom walk right through multiple times.
And what role did Klopp play in any of this? What did he do to rectify things? You going to give any blame to him?

Three seasons. Three exits in the fourth round. And remember this?

"If I sit here in four years, I am pretty confident we will have one title,"

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:45 PM   #1343
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
And what role did Klopp play in any of this? What did he do to rectify things? You going to give any blame to him?

Three seasons. Three exits in the fourth round. And remember this?

"If I sit here in four years, I am pretty confident we will have one title,"
Whats your point? We are not as far along as we'd like to be, I don't think many would deny that.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:03 AM   #1344
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whats your point? We are not as far along as we'd like to be, I don't think many would deny that.
Another way of writing that is Klopp isn't living up to expectations?

Old 01-28-2018, 04:46 AM   #1345
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Luis Enrique is one of the major targets being considered by Chelsea if they choose to sever ties with Antonio Conte at the end of the season.

Conte is under scrutiny at Stamford Bridge with relations between the Italian and his board at breaking point following a series of disagreements over transfer policy. His latest outburst - in the wake of the Carabao Cup semi-final defeat to Arsenal, when he suggested that he had no input over transfers - is understood to have particularly angered Chelsea's powerbrokers.

Conte is almost certain to leave at the end of the season but in the meantime there is a limit to how much criticism the club will put up with until that point.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...-conte-sacked/

Groundhog Day ... it seems like every Chelsea manager at one point clashes with Granovskaia and friends over transfers.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:34 AM   #1346
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking of which, you’re not winning the league this year, but you signed Mourinho to an extension. How do you feel about that? You’re more than happy to tell me that just qualifying for CL isn’t enough, and teams should be more ambitious. Is Mourinho living up to expectations?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:21 AM   #1347
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know that wasn't directed at me, but my two cents: I'm absolutely okay with the extension. Firstly they are having a more than decent season (on pace for 84 points ... under normal circumstances that's a title challenge for sure, it's not Mourinhos fault that City have been ridiculously good this year), secondly I think it's smart to get the contract question out of the way early and thirdly there's just not many good managers available right now. The only one that'd really interest me is Pochettino, but I feel he'll end up at Madrid at some point in the near future.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 07:31 AM   #1348
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I know that wasn't directed at me, but my two cents: I'm absolutely okay with the extension. Firstly they are having a more than decent season (on pace for 84 points ... under normal circumstances that's a title challenge for sure, it's not Mourinhos fault that City have been ridiculously good this year), secondly I think it's smart to get the contract question out of the way early and thirdly there's just not many good managers available right now. The only one that'd really interest me is Pochettino, but I feel he'll end up at Madrid at some point in the near future.
Well frankly, it wasn't directed at you because Bagor is constantly reminding me of how Spurs aren't ambitious and we're happy to have a season like you're having. So personally, I think that United is having a good season and you're right; it normally would be enough to challenge and maybe win the title. Same with Spurs last year. I'm sure I could go back through and find the quotes about how top four isn't the goal and things like that. Mostly, I just like the banter though and couldn't resist taking a little stab.

I don't know if Poch goes to Madrid. I mostly hope he doesn't because I think he's the absolute key to our success, but I think with the new stadium they'll make sure he doesn't at this point. The thing is that as has been pointed out once or twice, Spurs haven't won anything. Until they do, would RM seriously want him? But then, once they do, would Spurs actually let him go?
Old 01-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #1349
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know, I don't remember what your expectations were.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #1350
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Speaking of which, you’re not winning the league this year, but you signed Mourinho to an extension. How do you feel about that? You’re more than happy to tell me that just qualifying for CL isn’t enough, and teams should be more ambitious. Is Mourinho living up to expectations?
He's won things albeit minor trophies by the clubs standards it's still winning I suppose. Something the lesser clubs would be only happy to claim. Speaking of which your 10 year anniversary is just around the corner.

The team is in a better place than it was under van Gaal and Moyes.
The club is showing ambition. Always aiming to improve. I don't see no signs that they aren't aiming to win.

City are a very good team with an exceptional manager. The bar has been raised high.

And my predictions have been nothing but 100% accurate. Spurs only looked good in a weak PL. Now that the big clubs have gotten into the rebuilding process they are back where they belong. A mediocre one man (soon to be sold) club fighting for scraps.

But hey, you claim they are on the way up....yes?

Old 01-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #1351
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know, I don't remember what your expectations were.
Deflect, deflect.

You were the one throwing blame around yet Klopp avoided your ire. Why so defensive of him?

You think he's a dud? Or the person to turn the club around? Tactical genius or get out there lads and run like hell sort of manager?

Just trying to gauge how much faith you have in him?

Old 01-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #1352
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest disappointment about Klopp is that the biggest issues he currently faces are all of the exact same issues Rodgers faced in the end: poor defense, poor keeper play, and a midfield that is weak outside (the now departed) Coutinho. They are a joy to watch going forward when they're rolling, but without shoring things up they'll never win anything. The upcoming summer window will be a make or break for Klopp, either he'll finally solve the issues that need solving, or we'll likely be here a year from now with Liverpool again looking to go trophy-less, and wondering if sacking is inevitable.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #1353
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even by his standards this was absurd by De Bruyne. Sterling in for quite the culture shock when he's being fed by Jordan Henderson this summer instead.

https://twitter.com/user/status/957669192798494723

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 01-28-2018 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Better gif
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:13 PM   #1354
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The biggest disappointment about Klopp is that the biggest issues he currently faces are all of the exact same issues Rodgers faced in the end: poor defense, poor keeper play, and a midfield that is weak outside (the now departed) Coutinho. They are a joy to watch going forward when they're rolling, but without shoring things up they'll never win anything. The upcoming summer window will be a make or break for Klopp, either he'll finally solve the issues that need solving, or we'll likely be here a year from now with Liverpool again looking to go trophy-less, and wondering if sacking is inevitable.
My main concern on his initial appointment was here was someone that had the inside scoop on up and coming Bundesliga stars and with the PL money available would be able to snap up a few bargains from there and raid the top talent. Last I expected was 75M on a PL defender.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:28 PM   #1355
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Deflect, deflect.

You were the one throwing blame around yet Klopp avoided your ire. Why so defensive of him?

You think he's a dud? Or the person to turn the club around? Tactical genius or get out there lads and run like hell sort of manager?

Just trying to gauge how much faith you have in him?
What am I deflecting from? This is the first someone has asked my opinion of Klopp on here.

I'm never happy when we're not winning trophies, but I'm still 100% behind Klopp. I really don't believe in the constant coaching carousel, and i also don't believe there are many better managers then Klopp out there. I don't see a realistic scenario in which we could bring in a better person for the job right now.

Klopp was brought in to build a team, not win Instantly. He's basically the exact opposite hire of Mourinho in that sense. I think a lot of people would have liked the squad overhaul to be happening faster then it is, but Klopp has shown willingness to wait for the player he wants, rather then just buy what is available.

No doubt in my mind that we should stick behind him and allow him more time to fix the midfield and defence. If he's unable to do that over the next season or two then maybe my outlook will start to change.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 05:53 PM   #1356
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

David Ornstein who is very very solid on arsenal transfers

Quote:
. BREAKING: Arsenal close to reaching agreement to sign to striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang from Borussia Dortmund for club-record fee in region of £60m. Transfer won’t besanctioned until #BVB have replacement lined up - remains unclear if that will be Olivier Giroud or not #AFC
I don't get this, him and lacazette are both poachers, they really can't play together
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:42 AM   #1357
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

apparently Dortmund are taking Chelsea striker Batshuayi on loan. It's head scratcher after head scratcher right now at Dortmund ...

Will be interesting to see what Wenger wants to do. On paper, playing both Aubameyang and Lacazette seems impossible. But Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan were really good together at Dortmund and that could work well again, especially combined with a creative player like Özil. Think Giroud is gone now though.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:27 AM   #1358
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
apparently Dortmund are taking Chelsea striker Batshuayi on loan. It's head scratcher after head scratcher right now at Dortmund ...

Will be interesting to see what Wenger wants to do. On paper, playing both Aubameyang and Lacazette seems impossible. But Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan were really good together at Dortmund and that could work well again, especially combined with a creative player like Özil. Think Giroud is gone now though.
I think Batshuayi made a huge mistake in going to Chelsea. I know not everything is about Spurs, but he could have gone there and had more of a shot at regular time. Regardless, it’s ridiculous that Conte is loaning out yet another player. I’m sure it’s a matter of time until he complains about depth and not having enough bodies.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:55 AM   #1359
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

HAHAHA, this had to be scheduled for April Fools Day, but ran early right? They've spent hundreds of millions on players and now are crying poverty? We all know they're buying the league this year. What a complete joke.

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...edium=referral
Old 01-29-2018, 07:16 AM   #1360
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The actual article is saying they can't afford to buy the top 22 players in the world. Which no one can since in today's market with inflation would probably cost £5 billion without considering wages.