Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #1501
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Hey, this could be the wrong crowd, but if anyone is looking for a cool ebike for an insane price, Rad Power Bikes is blowing out their 2019 bikes.
Does anybody have any first hand experience with them? I'm looking for an ebike for the spring, and on paper these do look better that what I had been looking for. I'm just concerned about buying before I can try one; and for service afterwards. I'm not very handy with my regular bike.

I know Sliver you said a buddy has one; but trying a buddy's as opposed to owning one is different.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #1502
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest weakness I see at first glance is the mechanical disc brakes. Given the added weight and power of an e bike I'd really want hydraulics. The rest of it doesn't look horrible, though some of the components may not hold up in the long run.

I don't have experience with this, but my dad has ridden both types and says the ones with the motors in the bottom bracket are better than the wheel hub ones.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 02:19 PM   #1503
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

In that price range I haven't seen hydraulic brakes nor mid-drive motor. I had been looking at either one of these:
https://calgaryebikes.ca/collections...e-350w-36v13ah
https://calgaryebikes.ca/collections...rain-48v14-5ah
Or maybe stepping up to this:
https://calgaryebikes.ca/collections...ar-wheel-drive

The first two seem to be the battery being the big difference.

Looking more at Sliver's link, the promo code doesn't work, and you have to pay $150 for assembly. So leaning less towards those.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:39 PM   #1504
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Assembly isn't bad on these. It's honestly about 15 minutes, Ken. It's not like putting it together from scratch. Literally anyone can do it. I wouldn't worry about it and I say that as a guy who is pretty much useless when it comes to bike maintenance. I should have mine next week and will confirm, but my friend is equally as useless as me and had it together in minutes.

Fuzz is probably right about the brakes. On my Sondors ebike, I did upgrade them in the summer. We'll see what the Rad is like when I get it.

Sucks the coupon code doesn't work anymore. There could be others out there. I just googled coupon codes when I was at checkout and found that one online.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #1505
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The biggest weakness I see at first glance is the mechanical disc brakes. Given the added weight and power of an e bike I'd really want hydraulics. The rest of it doesn't look horrible, though some of the components may not hold up in the long run.

I don't have experience with this, but my dad has ridden both types and says the ones with the motors in the bottom bracket are better than the wheel hub ones.
I tried out a few and for commuting I prefer rear wheel drive. The pedal stance gets wide with mid-drive and the gear shifting is wierd on it. Maybe on a mountain bike where balance matters more mid drive would be better or perhaps you would just get used to the shifting and stance. But for me Rear Drive seemed more like a normal bike. I haven’t ridden any long term just a few test drives.

They have the Rad City available now so I bought one.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 10:01 PM   #1506
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

How are my fellow winter commuter riders dealing with chain rust? After 4 or so years of continous neglect, with White Lightning wet lube applied haphazardly every 4-6 weeks at best, my chain has lost any semblance of rust resistance and it excretes a orangey peanut butter like substance with any lube application. (I should really take a picture and turn this into a contest)

Naturally I'd continue to ignore this but this orange goo smeared onto my pant leg and is pretty much impossible to remove.

I've consigned myself to just buying a new chain but what are some things people here are doing to ward off chain rust while riding daily?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:13 PM   #1507
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha, ya I've got a Trump-like orange glow on my chain as well. I've been lazy. In past years I did the hot wax treatment, and looking back in must have worked well because I never had a chain this bad before. This one is to far gone, I've got a spare I'll put on in the spring, if it makes it that long. I'm lucky to get 2 years total before the links are looser than...uhm, something loose.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #1508
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Trump chain. Had to repair my rear wheel, the spoke nipple gave way a couple days ago. Always good to have a zip tie or 30 in your bag!
Old 01-12-2020, 11:02 AM   #1509
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Cycling Thread 2

That is cringe worthy...
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:06 AM   #1510
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The trusty beast has been with me for 22 years, I'll keep riding her until she disintegrates.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #1511
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
In that price range I haven't seen hydraulic brakes nor mid-drive motor. I had been looking at either one of these:
https://calgaryebikes.ca/collections...e-350w-36v13ah
https://calgaryebikes.ca/collections...rain-48v14-5ah
Or maybe stepping up to this:
https://calgaryebikes.ca/collections...ar-wheel-drive

The first two seem to be the battery being the big difference.

Looking more at Sliver's link, the promo code doesn't work, and you have to pay $150 for assembly. So leaning less towards those.
The one thing with batterys is range is determined by total watt hours so Volts times amp hours so a 36 V 13 has 468 WH whereas the 48 14 has 672WH. It takes about 10-12WH per km at 30km/h. You also have to consider that at end of life your battery might have 80% of the range and that charging before their empty extends life. My thought is you want a battery 20% larger than your round trip commute

So the battery on the 48V in your link is significantly larger.

Last edited by GGG; 01-12-2020 at 11:31 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 02:50 PM   #1512
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

I appreciate the math- the WH per km is a key factor. My round trip commute is about 55 km, so at 12 WH I definitely don't have a round trip in the lesser bike. I do have the ability to charge the battery at work, but then I am looking at more charge cycles.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:12 PM   #1513
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I was doing research this tool was really neat

https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/trip-simulator.html

It lets you use goolge maps to plot your route then predicts power consumption. The Bafeng G310 I think is approximately the common hub motor in a lot of these.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 09:22 PM   #1514
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any recommendations on what i should look for in suitable goggles for fatbiking or the odd winter commute? (or just any general ski variety will do?). Thanks!
Old 01-12-2020, 09:48 PM   #1515
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I prefer clear, because it is dark for my ride in. There aren't many options, but make sure it is double lens. I made the mistake of single lens on the first try. Unusable in the cold. I also built a little "hood scoop" to create a gap between my helmet and goggles to funnel air in.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 07:45 AM   #1516
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

First real frost bike of the year! Saw several other tracks out there. I managed to have enough layers on, so wasn't bad. These hand and foot warmers really make the difference.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 08:25 AM   #1517
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Any recommendations on what i should look for in suitable goggles for fatbiking or the odd winter commute? (or just any general ski variety will do?). Thanks!
Honestly I found that a pair of Oakley type blade sunglasses (Flak 2.0's to be exact) with a clear lens was better than goggles. Fog management of goggles (especially when wearing a mask) was a PITA. And I wear contacts.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:14 AM   #1518
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a bad morning at all. cral12, I also opted for clear lens goggles since my morning rides are in the dark. Just got the basic Bolle ones from MEC a couple of years ago. I also find that using my ski helmet in these conditions really helps prevent frost and fogging when I'm fully covering my face like this morning.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 09:12 PM   #1519
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

My specialized air comp v2 pump. The head mechanism/thumb thingy broke yesterday. Are the head units universal? I don’t want to buy a new pump if I can just get a new component. This thing

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5014-1...hoCeJYQAvD_BwE
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:27 PM   #1520
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends on the hose size. I've replaced mine with another brand before. You could always return it if it doesn't fit.

On another note, I need a cheap bike computer for the commuter...that works in cold weather. I have a Filzer that works great in the cold, but had a different failure. Tried a couple others I had lying around, and they gave out at -5. Filzer looks to be unavailable now. Anyone have one they know works in the cold? Nothing fancy.