Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #41
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygen View Post
Don Day, great place and easily missed if you didn't know it was there.

My addition is Model Milk, which is in the old Victoria's space on 17th Avenue SW. Very well thought out menu that constantly changes.
Don Day is a restaurant?!?! If it's the place you can see from the C-Train, I always thought it was a daycare place.

If I could, I would insert the "The More You Know" image here....

Back to actual restaurant stuff, another vote for Vero Bistro in Kensington. Small place and pricey, but very nice!
darockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #42
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I walk by Don Day all the time and have never had the stones to go in. I should try it out.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #43
Jojado
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Best beef or falafel wraps I've had so far in Calgary are at Shawarma King in Kensington (so far I've also been to Chickpea, Cedars Deil, and Falafel King).
Jojado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #44
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Had dinner at Muse, and it was amazing! Definitely check them out if you can.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #45
Lt.Spears
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
I doubt anyone else shares your opinion
I'm actually not a big fan of rouge. Their location it's excellent and the venue is very neat, but i found the food to be just decent for the prices. My fiance liked her meal but thought it was over priced as well.

I agree with others that Muse is incredible, everything ive ever had there has been excellent.
Lt.Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #46
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had dinner at Notable last night and despite the fact they ran out of prime rib (it was 8:45 on a Friday, no problem), it was amazing.

Started with Steak Tartare and Scallops with bacon and romaine hearts, and moved on to some Ribeye steaks, and finished off with bread pudding covered in Caramel and cream and a French Press coffee.

Drooooool.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #47
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Spears View Post
I'm actually not a big fan of rouge. Their location it's excellent and the venue is very neat, but i found the food to be just decent for the prices. My fiance liked her meal but thought it was over priced as well.

I agree with others that Muse is incredible, everything ive ever had there has been excellent.
I called out the OP because he flat out called Rouge crap - we know thats not the case. I think the Rouge vs. Muse comparison is just splitting hairs - two of the best restaurants in town IMO.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #48
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to Borgo a couple of days ago.....had a fantastic meal, and for the first time felt that the prices were very reasonable for what you were getting. Will definitely be going back.

Going to Farm tonight for a bday party, so definitely looking forward to that after all the good recommendations it's been getting. Any particular dishes that stand out?

Calgary definitely has some great food for a city this size. Now we just need more competition...
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #49
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Did you have the mushroom...thingy?
Had the Tagliatelle (eg noodles and bacon) and took some of the wifes lamb chops. Both were a good time.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #50
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was pretty purrfect, that's fur sure.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #51
Knut

Exp:

What are you guys talking about Meow ?
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #52
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

La Luna Rosa on Edmonton Trail is excellent. 14 of us spent $5000 there at the company Xmas party.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #53
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Went to Borgo a couple of days ago.....had a fantastic meal, and for the first time felt that the prices were very reasonable for what you were getting. Will definitely be going back.

Going to Farm tonight for a bday party, so definitely looking forward to that after all the good recommendations it's been getting. Any particular dishes that stand out?

Calgary definitely has some great food for a city this size. Now we just need more competition...
Their Mac and Cheese is really good. Sablefish is also excellent.

They also have some amazing seasonal dishes (unfortunately not right now) like the Beef Cheek and Brisket. Mmmm.

Really keen to try their breakfast. I hear it's great. Borgo also has a nice set of pastry choices for breakfast.

Enjoy!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #54
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am pleasantly surprised that some people share my thoughts on Rouge. I went a bit overboard saying that it was no good at all. What I meant was that it is not even close to worth the prices and it seems that some other agree.

I also agree completely with joe_mullen's pizza choice, Il Centro. That place is tiny, but they have the best pizza around. If you havent tried it out, go down to Il Centro. The room and location are terrible but the pizza is incredible and it costs very little. I recommend the 3 cheese pizza ONLY if they have gorgonzola that day and if you are drinking, you have to get a glass of limoncello after dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
In my opinion...Globefish is terribly overrated. Check out Misato for rolls, and Wa's for non roll fare. Shikiji for ramen.
Next time I am in Calgary, I will check out Misato and Wa's. I love the ramen at Shikiji and don't like Globefish at all, so I will probably share your opinion on the others too.
wireframe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #55
oxygen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Another great place for sushi and sashimi is Sushi Hiro. Wa's is also quite good and I agree with some of the other posters that Globefish isn't that great. When Globefish first opened across from Marlborough Mall on Memorial I actually quite enjoyed it.
oxygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #56
Guest1

I went to Wa's for my first sushi restaurant experience on Monday. Pretty good! You get Rockets instead of after dinner mints!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #57
mr.jim.lahey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bear's Den, Casbah and Blue House Cafe.
mr.jim.lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #58
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Gnocchi's - Haven't seen this posted yet, this is the wife & mine's anniversary date every year. Not terribly priced(bout $100 with a bottle of wine), but it's our "made it another year" meal. Service is top knoth and the food is great as well.

We eat maybe 2-3 other meals at this price point a year, but we really look forward to Gnocchi's, every year reguardles and it's typically our best meal of the year. But I will say Tapas in Canmore gives it a run for it's money.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #59
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Gnocchi's - Haven't seen this posted yet, this is the wife & mine's anniversary date every year. Not terribly priced(bout $100 with a bottle of wine), but it's our "made it another year" meal. Service is top knoth and the food is great as well.

We eat maybe 2-3 other meals at this price point a year, but we really look forward to Gnocchi's, every year reguardles and it's typically our best meal of the year. But I will say Tapas in Canmore gives it a run for it's money.
Gnocchi's is closed - I noticed that just before Christmas. We only live a couple blocks from there but never went there.

Another vote for Rouge, especially the tasting menu with wine - their pairings are phenomenal. Although Farm is a bit costly for what you get, their quality is top notch. They have some of the best bacon in the city, if you go for brunch, try the french toast, it's very tasty.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #60
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
Gnocchi's is closed - I noticed that just before Christmas. We only live a couple blocks from there but never went there.
That sucks, my wife will be quite disappointed. Then again we really only went once a year, so we certainly weren't regular customers.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote