Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #321
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mm, I set messages to 'Friends Only' ages ago. Who wants to receive messages from random people anyways? I'll probably jump on and adjust to 'No One' tonight, just in case.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #322
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

PLATINUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I did the exact same thing as you but only needed 6 more challenge tokens to buy the last two suits. I ended up doing a couple combat ones a dozen or more times. Basically you can't be hit once and need to rack up combos so you can't defeat the guys too quickly. Anything you can add-on to increase your focus lets you use finishing combos which are worth more.

about an hour into my second playthrough I realized, 'hey, I dont want to do this again right now' so went back and checked and only needed four challenge tokens. managed to get them quite quickly.

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 10-13-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #323
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone pick up Pathfinder: Kingmaker? If any of you lot played Balders Gate back in the day (or still do) this is the game for you. It’s almost the exact same interface, but it’s built on Pathfinder (DnD 3.5 variant) rules. It’s a great game. I’m only up to level 6 so far but I’m having an absolute blast.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #324
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Spiderman - what a game!

I had a bit trouble with it at first, keeping up with the pace, figuring out combos, etc., but after maybe 3-4 hours it became pretty natural. I finished it yesterday, 100% completion, all but one trophy <!!!> (I spent all my goddamn challenge tokens on upgrades instead of suits purchases and the remaining--mostly chasing the drones--are just too hard to get gold)

Trophy-hunting wasn’t a [huge-ass] chore in this game like 99% of games – and wouldn’t that be awesome if it became the new norm? if i recall, trphies in Horizon Zero Dawn were pretty achievable. and incidentally, I don’t really give a toot about trophies per se, but unlocking easter-eggy things in the game can be quite rewarding.

aside from the repetitiveness of some of the side quests, I thought the game was terrific. And in a stupid living-vicariously-through-videogames-kind-of-way, its feels like the most intimate tour of New York I’ve ever been on/

will probably do a second playthrough to unlock suits as i’m basically just killing time for Red Dead2. I earned that platinum!
This is my Spider-man review summed up perfectly. I found some of the sneaking missions annoying, but at least nothing was overly difficult or time intensive. Great story. Great ending.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 05:45 AM   #325
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Hrm. Odyssey is more of the same for combat heavy AC games. It’s fun enough but it’s not what I was hoping for. Guess the stealth gameplay will be taking a back seat from here on out.
Been away on vacation the past two weeks and thus haven't had a chance to play it yet, this is disappointing news. I loved the upgrades to combat in Origins, but I have always primarily been a stealth-focused player in AC.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #326
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Been away on vacation the past two weeks and thus haven't had a chance to play it yet, this is disappointing news. I loved the upgrades to combat in Origins, but I have always primarily been a stealth-focused player in AC.
If you liked origins you’ll like this one. Almost identical.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #327
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have AC games ever not been combat heavy? I remember getting in fights with big groups in AC2 and having lots of means to deal with them. Stealth is an option, but you're always given the means and ability to tackle things head on if you need to, which is how Odyssey feels.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:11 PM   #328
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Have AC games ever not been combat heavy? I remember getting in fights with big groups in AC2 and having lots of means to deal with them. Stealth is an option, but you're always given the means and ability to tackle things head on if you need to, which is how Odyssey feels.
Eh origins and this one feel to have leaned more heavily into combat vs stealth. Most situations are geared towards open combat IMO. The older iterations felt more like a stealth hunting game, even bringing back the simple hiding in a crowd mechanic would be a good start.

The older games felt more like tenchu where you could fight if you had to but stealth was the goal. Now you can run buck wild into every confrontation and come out ahead if you want to.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #329
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Eh origins and this one feel to have leaned more heavily into combat vs stealth. Most situations are geared towards open combat IMO. The older iterations felt more like a stealth hunting game, even bringing back the simple hiding in a crowd mechanic would be a good start.

The older games felt more like tenchu where you could fight if you had to but stealth was the goal. Now you can run buck wild into every confrontation and come out ahead if you want to.
I’ve been watching a lot of Game Maker’s Toolkit on YouTube on gameplay structure. Made me think more about AC.

Origins (haven’t played Odyssey) made both combat and stealth viable options for a lot of missions. However players often choose the path of least resistance and may get stuck in one type of gameplay, often to the detriment of overall satisfaction and quality of game play.

You’re good at combat, you’ve had lots of practice so you’re better at it. So you only tackle missions using combat. Stealth missions become a pain because you aren’t good with stealth weapons, strategies or skill level ups. It’s a vicious cycle.

Does AC origins have mission bonuses for stealth? Shadow of War occasionally made stealth a requirement to get gold on missions. Encourages you to fight with variety.

Sometimes letting players choose doesn’t work. Feels like developers are letting us choose how we like to play but if they’ve favoured one style of gameplay, it can hurt the balance of play.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #330
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I think the issue I had with Origins was that if there was a high enough level disparity stealth was difficult because your weapon wouldn't kill them with one shot, so then you had to either resort to combat, or run away which doesn't fit in the stealth gameplay either (which to me is to be able to kill them all without anyone noticing a thing).

The blade in the back should be insta-kill.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #331
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure! My PS4 dies 9 days before RDR2. Great.

Well, I guess my decision about whether or not to upgrade to a PS4 Pro just got a lot easier
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #332
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

Well, I guess my decision about whether or not to upgrade to a PS4 Pro just got a lot easier
Pick up the Pro at Best buy and purchase the 3yr extended warranty, not only will they give you a brand new Pro should it die for any reason, you also get physical damage coverage and can exchange your controller for a new one whenever you want

Sent from my SM-T377W using Tapatalk
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:15 AM   #333
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

That happened to me with NHL 13 only it was the disc drive on my PS3. I wasn't able to play my PS3 alot because I was spending the whole day at school so when I got it I put in the disc and discovered the drive was dead.

One reason I decided to make time to play it when it came out is I decided to make a 3D Kipper for my demo reel and wanted to see how EA modeled their goalies so I would have something to use as reference.

Since it was way past warranty anyway I decided to open it up and see if maybe the lens was just dirty but it didn't work. I contemplated just getting a new drive but I read online that once things like that start happening other issues come up so I just ended up getting a Slim.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #334
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least I can get the RDR2 bundled PS4 pro. Getting the game for free with the system will lessen the blow of having to buy a whole new ps4
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:59 PM   #335
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

This looks like a fun retro shooter.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #336
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone ever heard of the sumosys? I just ordered one.. free shipping today:
https://www.sumosys.com/
Over 10k games and many platforms. Will work with ps4 controllers too etc. Just ordered
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #337
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Anyone ever heard of the sumosys? I just ordered one.. free shipping today:
https://www.sumosys.com/
Over 10k games and many platforms. Will work with ps4 controllers too etc. Just ordered
Looks like its just a fully configured Raspbery Pi. For $150 its not bad for an out of the box experience if all games work without any user configuration required. Emulation isn't perfect but its the most accessible.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #338
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I have to say is big props to Ubisoft for making the toys optional for Star Link.

Was interested in the game but didn't want the clutter from all the different weapons, pilots, and ships, and was pleasantly surprised when I found out the base version of the game digitally came with pretty much all the additional content included (only missing 1 ship, 3 pilots, and 3 weapons but if people wanted those were in the deluxe version for $20 more).

Actually really enjoying the game so far too.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-19-2018 at 11:11 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #339
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Looks like its just a fully configured Raspbery Pi. For $150 its not bad for an out of the box experience if all games work without any user configuration required. Emulation isn't perfect but its the most accessible.

Highly illegal if it comes pre-packaged with the games. I imagine that site won't last very long if it becomes more well known
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #340
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oopsies.. apologies..
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote