Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-20-2015, 10:39 PM   #101
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^ Eagle Ridge? That's a nice neighborhood.

I live in Glendale. Nobody ever seems to know where it is so i say "next to killarney" which seems to have more recognition as a community. Anyways, Glendale has all the benefits of Killarney but with R1 zoning.

Pros:
- proximity to c-train (Westbrook and 45th street stations)
- proximity to 17th Ave and bow trail - quick commute into downtown and really close to the entertainment and restaurants on 17th
- decent commute and literally 10 minutes to downtown in low traffic times
- easy access out of the City to the mountains
- close to really good recreation: MRU, Westside Rec, and Killarney Pool, Edworthy Park
- 2 Safeways and a Walmart within walking distance
- schools galore. Regular public and Catholic. Montessori. Christian charter school. French and Spanish. All in our catchment area.
- tennis courts and good playgrounds (no lake, dammit)
- neighborhood is turning over to younger professionals/families
- 1950's houses that were built pretty solid, good mix of nicely upgraded older houses with some people tearing down compelyely and giant new houses (thats kind of a con i guess)
- 1950's trees!!
- can get onto dedicated bike lanes/paths into downtown with only 3-4 blocks of riding on the road
- I think the home values are amazing for what you get in terms of location and proximity to downtown.

Cons:
- the 1950s houses might be too small or too outdated for some people (ie we don't have an ensuite bathroom or a garage. Closet space is fairly minimal)
- proximity to LRT/downtown (mostly the LRT I think) means we do have bottle collectors going through our alleys and our vehicle has been broken into twice in 3 years (Although a garage might help reduce that issue as well)
- there is some sketchy activity still around Westbrook Mall/Rosscarrock. It doesn't seem to overflow into Glendale much, if ever. But not exagerating when I say there's 4 PaydayLoan places within walking distance of our house. Which is a bit weird.
- I wish we had better proximity to the river

Last edited by Peanut; 11-20-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peanut For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2015, 11:10 PM   #102
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Certainly depends on taste. I'm sure most areas have hidden gems you have to look for, but if your looking a list of Calgary's 20 best dining spots in any give year, it will pretty much break down like this.

1 NW
3 Kensington/Bridgeland
3 Downtown
5 Beltline
4 South Inner City
2 deep south
1 SW
and a token 1 somewhere in the NE, E or SE that really does not look like the others at all.

I don't think good dining is a problem in Clagary, but Outside of the core of the city there is not a whole lot of fine dining in this town.
Don't confuse fine dining with good food. There is numerous ethnic restaurants in the NE, that have food that is nothing short of amazing, and pretty cheap.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:44 PM   #103
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

NE has fantastic food choices from many cultures. + for the area.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:36 AM   #104
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
^^ Eagle Ridge? That's a nice neighborhood.
Bayview. Eagle Ridge is weird - why no sidewalk? Why?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2015, 08:03 AM   #105
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Cliff bungalow. Close proximity to the ship and anchor. Lots of birds
Cliff Bungalow deserves more than that! Great little community we looked in quite a lot before Sunnyside. Just never found the right house for us.

-Proximity to 4th Street and 17th Avenue and all their amenities
-Mission Safeway (despite being dumpy) is right next to you
-Elbow river pathway system nice and close
-Proximity to Stampede park, easy to walk/bike over
-Nice park space next to the bluff
-Good mix of single family homes and some larger multi-family

Does that one house still have the cow on the upper balcony?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I live in ________. It's the best neighborhood you've never heard of.

Pros:
- the only hood that is actually on the reservoir
- huge lots and trees
- very civilized neighbours
- every medical specialty is represented, from gynecology to pulmonary, so if there is trouble just need to run to the next house
- see Huntingwhale's post, but better because there are no pink houses with elephants on them

Cons:
- have to drive for groceries since the Glenmore Landing Safeway prices are ridiculous
- other than a couple favorites, have to drive for dining
- if you want any work done, you get gouged
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Bayview. Eagle Ridge is weird - why no sidewalk? Why?
Ah, I was coming to post Bayview! Dated a girl there just out of high school and had never heard of it at the time.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:32 AM   #106
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I always thought it was weird that Bayview and Eagle Ridge have some their best lots taken by condos and an apartment building.
That bland, 6-storey brick building in Eagle Ridge is literally right next to 6 multi-million $ homes.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #107
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Certainly depends on taste. I'm sure most areas have hidden gems you have to look for, but if your looking a list of Calgary's 20 best dining spots in any give year, it will pretty much break down like this.
Going on taste rather than dining, which is more about the experience, it would be hard to beat the NE and near-SE. If you want proper Caribbean or Indian food for example, there is only one part of the city. I'm not going to take the in-laws for brunch in the NE but if they want schezuan, boom.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #108
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I continue to love Inglewood (natch) even having moved away 3 years ago.

Pros:
  • Close to DT
  • Lots of character
  • Can take the river pathway anywhere
  • A couple of good restaurants and more very close
  • Bird sanctuary

Cons:
  • Some traffic issues
  • No grocery store
  • School options are not the best
  • Expensive to get a place big enough for a family

Moved to Chinook Park a few years ago when I married into having kids and my Inglewood house was too small.

Pros
  • Easy access to 14th, Glenmore, Macleod. Easy to get around the city
  • Bike rides around the reservoir
  • Close to shopping
  • I dig 1950s houses, especially bungalows
  • Big trees, quiet streets
  • Good schools

Cons
  • Pricey
  • Getting around can be annoying at rush hour
  • Old house maintenance costs

One thing in common for both are friendly neighbors. I know almost all my neighbours, and it is such a nice change from when I lived in newer developments (Tuscany). It's also nice to see Chinook Park getting younger, a lot of the seniors are moving out and being replaced with young families.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #109
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I continue to love Inglewood (natch) even having moved away 3 years ago.

Pros:
  • Close to DT
  • Lots of character
  • Can take the river pathway anywhere
  • A couple of good restaurants and more very close
  • Bird sanctuary

Cons:
  • Some traffic issues
  • No grocery store
  • School options are not the best
  • Expensive to get a place big enough for a family
  • You start saying words like "natch"
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #110
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
I always thought it was weird that Bayview and Eagle Ridge have some their best lots taken by condos and an apartment building.
That bland, 6-storey brick building in Eagle Ridge is literally right next to 6 multi-million $ homes.
Yeah, the best location in Calgary is a damn townhouse. I think a retired judge owns it. The building in Eagle Ridge is a seniors condo. I was friends with the kid who lived next door to it. He and I had 1:1 model M-16's that we built. Some nosey senior called the police because of backyard war games.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #111
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Kensington Safeway is always busy when I go. Two cashiers helping 200 people. North Hill is way faster.
Yup. I have left my groceries at the front and walked out on multiple occasions. I once saw one of the younger more energetic cashiers get a talking to from her manager because she was staying and helping work through the lines even after her shift was over — apparently going the extra mile isn't allowed.

I live on 10th street and love/hate having Kensington Safeway a block away. Also like the bike commute downtown, peace bridge and dining options. Dislike the noise and traffic on 10 street, as well as the local liquor store. Would love to move into one of the older houses behind Kensington Road someday but they're $$$.

Last edited by Flames0910; 11-21-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:21 PM   #112
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Yup. I have left my groceries at the front and walked out on multiple occasions. I once saw one of the younger more energetic cashiers get a talking to from her manager because she was staying and helping work through the lines even after her shift was over — apparently going the extra mile isn't allowed.

I live on 10th street and love/hate having Kensington Safeway a block away. Also like the bike commute downtown, peace bridge and dining options. Dislike the noise and traffic on 10 street, as well as the local liquor store. Would love to move into one of the older houses behind Kensington Road someday but they're $$$.
In the 18 months I've lived in this neighbourhood I've never waited more than 5 minutes to check-out at that Safeway. Perhaps I'm avoiding going at 5:30 and Saturday afternoon.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #113
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hit it at a sweet spot yesterday afternoon, no lines at 2:30pm on a Sunday. I was shocked.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:58 AM   #114
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Small bump!

This thread has been amazingly helpful!

For those on the Westside who mention that the LRT is very good; how is the parking at the stations out there? I can see the 69th street has a lot, but is it all reserved? How early do you have to get there for parking? What about later like 9 - 11 am?

Again, thanks for all the contributions!

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #115
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Small bump!

This thread has been amazingly helpful!

For those on the Westside who mention that the LRT is very good; how is the parking at the stations out there? I can see the 69th street has a lot, but is it all reserved? How early do you have to get there for parking? What about later like 9 - 11 am?

Again, thanks for all the contributions!
Aww, 9 to 11 expecting a spot, isn't that cute. I drive, but back when the LRT first opened it was about 4 hours earlier than your timeline you'd need to get there to get a free spot. Can't imagine that's changed much.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #116
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Need to be at the lot by 6am to get a spot at 6th street, by 7-730am to get a spot at Signal Hill station... Any later and you won't be finding a spot.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #117
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That's a legitimate con, for sure. In fact, it's one I experience on a day-to-day basis. Used to live in a pretty sweet house in a new neighbourhood, but now I live in a smaller bungalow with a half-bath for an ensuite. We'll eventually gut the upstairs and renovate to the standard we'd prefer, but I have to save a lot of money to make that happen. Your average middle class guy living in Bonavista definitely gives up something on the house side of the equation for the upgraded community. It's a worthwhile trade off IMO, but I do miss my old place. Can't imagine what that house would cost in this neighbourhood...out of my reach.
Aren't most things out of reach from a Rascal?

DALHOUSIE

PROS:
- Close proximity to c-train
- Close to University and multiple shopping malls.
- Relatively central (the furthest parts of the city are about 20-25 min drive if you know the good routes, bearing any accidents or w/e)
- Easy access to DT (my place is about 10 min walk to the c-train. it's 30 min door to office, which isn't bad IMO). As well as cool parts of the city like Kensington and 17th.
- Easy to escape the city (Stoney to go west or north, Deerfoot to go south)
- Lots of parks and green space (including multiple dog parks).
- Close to Nosehill
- Culture medley. Seems to be a lot of Asian and African people. (***warning*** some may not consider this a pro)
- Best Pho in the NW (Essence of Saigon Garden. I've tried about 6 or seven other NW places. Not even close).
- Even during rush hour, driving in/out of DT isn't too painful because you mostly bypass the Crowchild backlog.

CONS:
- While relatively easy to get to the core and other areas, it is still a commute.
- No bars/pubs. Have to go near the university if you want a decent place to have wings and watch the game. There's a space for rent in Dalhousie station. Someone could have a pretty good little business if you were to open up a pub that would cater to the sports/live music crowd. I've seriously contemplated it myself.
- Not a lot of places that are unique to the area. Restaurants and stores are largely the main ones (Earls, BPs, Indigo, Starbucks, etc). A few good spots, but you have to look for them.

As a single person, I can't really speak to the schools around and the child atmosphere, but I do see a lot of families around, mostly international people. Overall I'd say it best suited for students and younger people, if not just for it's proximity to the schools and ease of access to transit DT. Location is really the main pro IMO. The big miss is lack of a decent pub.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #118
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Aww, 9 to 11 expecting a spot, isn't that cute. I drive, but back when the LRT first opened it was about 4 hours earlier than your timeline you'd need to get there to get a free spot. Can't imagine that's changed much.
I just remember there being spots that could be reserved for $$ but were free after 10am. I used to use them at Brentwood and it worked great as there were always some open. I'm guessing these aren't there on the West line?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #119
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping!

Anyone here living in Renfrew or Radisson Heights these days?
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #120
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping again.

Any opinions on west hillhurst vs capitol hill?
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote