Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #41
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Reason why the tray icon remains is because that's also how you cancel your Windows 10 upgrade reservation, IIRC.
Not that I can see. I went back in and there is nothing you can do now. Just says it's reserved and shows you a few screens of information about the new update. No options to do anything that I can see now.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #42
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
And a huge pile of feces if you're running Server 2012.

"Lets put a touch interface on a server OS primarily used in virtual machines."

Run it as a Server Core install, and administer it with the RSAT tools?
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #43
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Not that I can see. I went back in and there is nothing you can do now. Just says it's reserved and shows you a few screens of information about the new update. No options to do anything that I can see now.
After opening the windows icon, click on the three bars icon in the top left.

Click on "view confirmation". A window will open that says your "upgrade is reserved". On the bottom left is a "cancel reservation" option.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #44
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
Run it as a Server Core install, and administer it with the RSAT tools?
Unfortunately, a lot of applications, and especially first party (Exchange, SharePoint, Lync, Dynamics suite, SQL...) don't support running on Server Core.

Domain controller, file server, IIS, and other core technologies, or something third party that doesn't require the rest of the Windows GUI? Sure.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #45
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
After opening the windows icon, click on the three bars icon in the top left.

Click on "view confirmation". A window will open that says your "upgrade is reserved". On the bottom left is a "cancel reservation" option.
Huh...never saw that. OK, will check when I get home.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #46
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I realize you asked for people that won't be upgrading, but I have to say that I am really enjoying Windows 10 so far and will upgrade on release day.

What about drivers? When I got W8.1 I had issues with my video card and my printer

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:24 AM   #47
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would someone upgrade from Windows 7 to 10?

I'm kinda happy with how 7 works.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #48
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Yeah I'm immensely enjoying running Windows 10 on a VM. Everything good about Windows 7, but with added features and feels more closer to my Windows Phone while still obviously giving me the desktop experience.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #49
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
What about drivers? When I got W8.1 I had issues with my video card and my printer
My understanding is that most Windows 8 drivers are compatible with Windows 10, but I am certain there are exceptions. I know Realtek audio, for example, is not working at all. The preview edition has a feedback application that allows users to report issues and discuss them. Other than the audio issue, there really isn't much else there regarding drivers.

I would also assume that the way Microsoft is pushing this out in a huge way will motivate hardware companies to release drivers ASAP.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #50
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I just hope that wifi is handled better in Windows 10. Trying to troubleshoot a wifi connection in Windows 8 is horrible, especially in a corporate LAN environment. Windows 8 tablets also seem to have far more issues with wifi in general compared to other devices, my Android phone never has an issue with my home network but rebooting my tablet is a regular occurrence to get the wifi working
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #51
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you get the free upgrade from 7 to 10, or just from 8 to 10?

I run 8 on my PC and I got the notification to upgrade, but my work laptop is 7 and there's no notification (could be network blocked, but just curious)
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #52
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

I run 8 on my PC and I got the notification to upgrade, but my work laptop is 7 and there's no notification (could be network blocked, but just curious)
Do you have SP1 installed? Windows 7 SP1 will get the free upgrade as well. That's what I'm running at home on my one system. Another system, a laptop, that is running Windows 7 as well got the notification yesterday, but when looking in the information, seems there are a ton of drivers on the laptop that will be an issue according to the upgrade check it did. Guess I won't do the Windows 10 update on the laptop. Says the video card as well as bluetooth and something else will not work with Windows 10. Awesome.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #53
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Do you have SP1 installed? Windows 7 SP1 will get the free upgrade as well. That's what I'm running at home on my one system. Another system, a laptop, that is running Windows 7 as well got the notification yesterday, but when looking in the information, seems there are a ton of drivers on the laptop that will be an issue according to the upgrade check it did. Guess I won't do the Windows 10 update on the laptop. Says the video card as well as bluetooth and something else will not work with Windows 10. Awesome.
I just checked and it's SP1, but no notification for Win 10. I don't have admin rights to the computer, but normally I get all update prompts anyway, I just require an admin to allow the updates.

No biggie, it's not like I own the laptop, I was just wondering.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:09 PM   #54
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I just checked and it's SP1, but no notification for Win 10. I don't have admin rights to the computer, but normally I get all update prompts anyway, I just require an admin to allow the updates.

No biggie, it's not like I own the laptop, I was just wondering.
Yeah, my work PC here is Windows 7 SP1 but no notification either here. Got both at home quickly though.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #55
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

It pisses me off that I can't use something as simple as calculator without it taking over the screen on Win 8. If I'm doing something (like banking) and I want to do some quick calculations, I have to split screen the desktop. Annoying.

It's like running a phone OS on a desktop.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #56
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The warnings about incompatible hardware *may* be a little overstated by the compatibility checker in some instances. A friend was told his Intel HD 4000 graphics might have problems with the OS. I'm running W10 on my company issued device, it has the Intel HD 4000 graphics hardware, and it's been just fine.
Quote:
It pisses me off that I can't use something as simple as calculator without it taking over the screen on Win 8. If I'm doing something (like banking) and I want to do some quick calculations, I have to split screen the desktop. Annoying.

It's like running a phone OS on a desktop.
...eh? What's wrong with calc.exe? It runs in desktop mode.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #57
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The warnings about incompatible hardware *may* be a little overstated by the compatibility checker in some instances. A friend was told his Intel HD 4000 graphics might have problems with the OS. I'm running W10 on my company issued device, it has the Intel HD 4000 graphics hardware, and it's been just fine. ...eh? What's wrong with calc.exe? It runs in desktop mode.
When I click on the calculator on W7, I neat little calculator pops up that takes up 1/20th of the screen.

In W8 when I click calculator, it takes up the entire screen (like an app would) and I can't make it a small window. I have to split the desktop.

I hope that clarifies it? And I hope you can help? LOL. I'm not exactly that tech savvy.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:43 PM   #58
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I figured it out!

Man I rule
Old 06-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #59
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Anyone know if the free upgrade will have an option to download a Windows 10 .iso instead so you could do a fresh install from scratch? That's the only way I can see myself actually using it, as I've always been against doing the OS upgrade route. There's always some kind of mess left behind vs. a clean install
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:24 PM   #60
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

The option to upgrade your work laptop will be controlled by your company's IT department's policies, and by the nature of their enterprise agreement with Microsoft.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote