Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #1921
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who just flew the Calgary - Halifax - Paris flight on West Jet, I welcome this announcement.

I'll never do that disaster of a flight again.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #1922
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

What made that flight such a disaster Weitz? We were actually looking at it to get to Paris next summer, obviously now that YYC-CDG nonstop is on the table we'd prefer that option.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #1923
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
What made that flight such a disaster Weitz? We were actually looking at it to get to Paris next summer, obviously now that YYC-CDG nonstop is on the table we'd prefer that option.
5+ hour flight with no real service options on the plane. Small layover in Halifax so we couldn't get a real meal before another 6+ hour flight to Paris.

Then on the way back, again barely any service offered. 1 drink cart, and the pay for food that had essentially nothing but some ####ty pizza available. Then another 1 hour layover where you have to clear customs, re-check tour bag, and go through security again. Which delayed the flight by an hour. I stopped to get a sandwich because I was hungry and was tight for getting back on the plane.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #1924
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah roger that, about what I was going to expect if we booked it. Flying with the kids we would probably load up on food/snacks for both flights. As an avgeek I can't go wrong though, it would have been my first flight on a 737 MAX but now I'm probably looking at my first 787 flights this way.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #1925
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Ah roger that, about what I was going to expect if we booked it. Flying with the kids we would probably load up on food/snacks for both flights. As an avgeek I can't go wrong though, it would have been my first flight on a 737 MAX but now I'm probably looking at my first 787 flights this way.
I was interested to fly on the 737 Max.. but to be honest didn't really feel like much was different haha. Maybe I just dont pay enough attention.

I really dislike the Westjet connect app though. I much prefer the seat back TV. Makes for a much comfier on the neck ride IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #1926
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure I would consider mediocre on-flight food options and a tight layover a disaster. To me that just seems to be part of the baseline experience with flying now.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #1927
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I haven't flown the WestJet 737Max, but Air Canada's was alright. Paid for the extra leg room, I liked the IFE which I don't believe WestJet has. Bathrooms were tiny, like, wow, like they'd be too small to be a bathroom closet let alone a bathroom.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #1928
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just got back from Barcelona with Air Canada Rogue and wanted to share something new I learned.
Our flight from BCN to Montreal was cancelled the morning of so I called quickly and managed to get rebooked on the BCN to Toronto and on to Edmonton. The only issue was that the flight left three hours earlier so we had to scramble to get to the airport.

According to Air Canada policy, as per EU rules, this inconvenience was worth 300 EU per person or a $650 CAD flight credit.
Now I have a year to use $1950 in flight credits.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #1929
Pontine
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I just got back from Barcelona with Air Canada Rogue and wanted to share something new I learned.
Our flight from BCN to Montreal was cancelled the morning of so I called quickly and managed to get rebooked on the BCN to Toronto and on to Edmonton. The only issue was that the flight left three hours earlier so we had to scramble to get to the airport.

According to Air Canada policy, as per EU rules, this inconvenience was worth 300 EU per person or a $650 CAD flight credit.
Now I have a year to use $1950 in flight credits.
I had a similar situation flying back from London (LGW) direct to Calgary in August, but with westjet. My original flight home got cancelled 24hrs before it had to leave, and rescheduled to a day later. I had to be back at work, so I couldn't stay the extra day in London. Westjet found me a connecting flight through Toronto with British Airways, which wasn't ideal and the flight from YYZ to YYC got delayed by 3 hours. I finally got home 11 hours later than if my original flight had happened.

Westjet issued a $150 flight credit for the inconvenience, but then I also made the EU claim and I got the max 650 euro (~$950 CAD) from Westjet as a cheque, instead of a flight credit.
Pontine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pontine For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #1930
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, the EU has much better compensation for delayed flights.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 07:07 PM   #1931
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Yeah, the EU has much better compensation for delayed flights.

Pretty much anything delayed, even trains. Although on our last trip we missed a connection, albeit by train, and weren't compensated because we technically made it to our destination (Amsterdam) within 60 minutes, but missed the train to Paris, causing us to have to wait for a few hours for the next train.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:14 PM   #1932
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Pretty much anything delayed, even trains. Although on our last trip we missed a connection, albeit by train, and weren't compensated because we technically made it to our destination (Amsterdam) within 60 minutes, but missed the train to Paris, causing us to have to wait for a few hours for the next train.
Good to know. My friend and I are looking into a European trip this summer and will likely be doing a lot of train travel.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:36 PM   #1933
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Good to know. My friend and I are looking into a European trip this summer and will likely be doing a lot of train travel.

I think it was compensation based on of the ticket cost though. The CSR at the station issued us new tickets in better seats and gave us a stack of food coupons, but told us to contact the operator to see if we could get refund because we were delayed.

Anyway, hopefully it doesn’t happen to you. it was stressful at the time because during the problem all the announcements were in Dutch, and only some other passenger recognized we looked confused and told us what was going on.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #1934
Pontine
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We kinda got screwed with our flight with ryanair from Ibiza to Brussels though. Apparently, labour disputes aren't covered for EU compensation, and they cancelled the flight an hour before we had to board. We were scrambling to find last minute alternatives (there were very few options to choose from or everything was already fully booked), since we had to be in Brussels that day. We ended up spending $700CAD each vs the $100 we paid for our original ryanair flight.

They refunded our $100 back and of course the flight ended up happening later on in the day, but this happened after we found alternative arrangements.
Pontine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:08 PM   #1935
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What time does US customs open? I have a flight to the USA at 6:10 am on a Saturday morning. Wondering when to show up.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #1936
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weitz View Post
what time does us customs open? I have a flight to the usa at 6:10 am on a saturday morning. Wondering when to show up.
4:30.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #1937
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
4:30.
So really no sense in showing up before then if I’m not checking a bag eh?
Old 10-16-2018, 10:30 PM   #1938
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
So really no sense in showing up before then if I’m not checking a bag eh?
If there's two or three 6am-ish flights leaving at once, the security line can get a little long. Maybe have a look at who else is flying out and at what time that day. I fly that time slot somewhat frequently and I've had anywhere from 5 min line wait to 30+ min line wait. YMMV.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #1939
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

6 am departures don't vary day-to-day, those transborders are always the same.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #1940
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ground radar antenna on the control tower needed some work, helicopter brought in to do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc