Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 11:42 PM   #9801
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

god i hope they strip connor of the captaincy and give it to lucic

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 04:12 AM   #9802
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon47

Oilers are such a joke.

At this point in time, the oilers gaps are:
No GM in place
No coach in place
Starting goalie
1x Top pair d
1x 2nd pair d
1st line LW
1st line RW
2nd line RW
A complete rebuild of the 3rd line
A complete rebuild of the 4th line

That's with 16 roster spots already filled and only $7.78M in cap space for next season.

After getting embarrassed in his hometown, i wonder how mcdavid is feeling now. It will be AT LEAST 1-2 seasons before the oilers can even imagine being a playoff team. That will mean they have flat out wasted 5-6 years of 'generational' talent.

They ought to be ashamed of themselves. instead of blaming everything else (heck, they blamed the water supply), the longest standing members of management should be thrown out the front door.

If mcdavid really does ask for a trade, will the oilers ever be able to recover from the shame and ridicule?

Last edited by bubbsy; 02-28-2019 at 04:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 04:26 AM   #9803
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

easy there, everything is fine with the oilers. I don't think they need to change anything at all. Everything is going exactly as it should.

As for McDavid, he is an "offensive dynamo" and that's it. He isn't a good all around player, he doesn't have what it takes to win, he's not a good captain/leader and his attitude seems to begetting worse. I don't think it's fair to just blame the oilers on this, he needs to be blamed a lot too. Sure, the oilers won the lottery and drafted him and he did look crushed when he realized it was them but the thing is, he signed an extension. He had to have known how bad it was before he ever played a game there, then he did play there and had to have seen it first hand. But to know how much of a tire fire that team is and to want to sign an extension with them...that's just dumb. He deserves all the criticism he gets at this point. He could have got that money from anyone, he'd have a better chance of winning ANYWHERE else and I doubt any other team would be dumb enough to make him the captain before he played a game.

It's not fair to just blame the oilers for being so bad...he decided to stay there and he's an idiot for doing so.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:26 AM   #9804
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best the Flames have ever done in relation to the Oilers is 37 points ahead achieved in 88-89 and 92-93. Currently this season the Flames are on pace to finish 37 points ahead of the Oilers. What a great time to be a Flames fan!
Old 02-28-2019, 07:03 AM   #9805
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
easy there, everything is fine with the oilers. I don't think they need to change anything at all. Everything is going exactly as it should.

As for McDavid, he is an "offensive dynamo" and that's it. He isn't a good all around player, he doesn't have what it takes to win, he's not a good captain/leader and his attitude seems to begetting worse. I don't think it's fair to just blame the oilers on this, he needs to be blamed a lot too. Sure, the oilers won the lottery and drafted him and he did look crushed when he realized it was them but the thing is, he signed an extension. He had to have known how bad it was before he ever played a game there, then he did play there and had to have seen it first hand. But to know how much of a tire fire that team is and to want to sign an extension with them...that's just dumb. He deserves all the criticism he gets at this point. He could have got that money from anyone, he'd have a better chance of winning ANYWHERE else and I doubt any other team would be dumb enough to make him the captain before he played a game.

It's not fair to just blame the oilers for being so bad...he decided to stay there and he's an idiot for doing so.
He wasn’t a UFA...he couldn’t have just got that money from anyone. Oilers would have matched any offer sheet, hence the max cap max term contract he signed. He had zero choice but to sign that extension.

What are you suggesting McDavid could have done instead?

Actually, he could have retired I guess....or played in Europe.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:06 AM   #9806
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starting to see a lot of stories about the Oilers doing a disservice to McDavid and chatter about how he needs to get out of Edmonton. One wonders how much more of this the McDavid camp can take and if a trade request is maybe in the works this offseason. It's hard to imagine that next season is going to be much better than this one as it's possible they could be worse.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:31 AM   #9807
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Plain a simple the oilers are no good. It isn't the media's fault the garbage franchise rushed to make him one of the youngest captains ever ahead of Crosby. Instead of insulating him from extra responsibility and scrutiny that comes with the captaincy, especially in a hockey market, they pinned it on him like it would be some sort of badge of honor.

If you want to blame anyone, blame the franchise for putting him on the island because they are no good.
The Pens offered the captaincy to Sid pretty early (after year one IIRC) but he turned it down. At the time they may not have had grizzled vets (well, they had Hendricks) but they had RNH, Pouliot, Sekera (plus Hall and Eberle, but they weren't captain material either).
Old 02-28-2019, 07:33 AM   #9808
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDavid didn't have to sign his offer. First, it was a year in advance, so no offer sheet was coming. Second, he had options - shorter term, sit out, hold out of camp, etc. Plus, offer sheets are fine to talk about, but the offering team needs to (a) have the cap room and (b) own the compensation. That limits the number of offerors. And so what if one comes and they match. That 8th year is not worth it.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #9809
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Koskinen is # 19? That’s odd.
I think he is actually just some guy they pulled out of the lineup at training camp, and threw the pads on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 02-28-2019, 07:37 AM   #9810
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
He wasn’t a UFA...he couldn’t have just got that money from anyone. Oilers would have matched any offer sheet, hence the max cap max term contract he signed. He had zero choice but to sign that extension.

Not sign for 8 years? Take the shortest deal possible to get out of that place.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 07:39 AM   #9811
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post

Here is a list of what RFA McDavid could have done aside for you're sarcastic remarks:

- Hold out
- Demand a trade
- Sign a 2-3 year bridge
- Sign a contract that takes him directly to his first UFA years (much like Matthews)
The Following User Says Thank You to cznTiburon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 07:46 AM   #9812
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

a player of McDavid's stature had all the bargaining power - that's how he got the 12.5 million contract in the first place.

he could have made Edmonton offer a shorter term contract if he wanted too.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:49 AM   #9813
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
“Connor McDavid, who was returning after serving a two-game suspension, was unable to conjure up any magic, notching an assist on a minus-2 night. He was mercifully spared from facing the media post-game, after having spoken at length at the morning skate.“

What a leader.
It’s because he was so angry. This was for the media’s protection.

Quote:
Old 02-28-2019, 07:59 AM   #9814
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The Pens offered the captaincy to Sid pretty early (after year one IIRC) but he turned it down. At the time they may not have had grizzled vets (well, they had Hendricks) but they had RNH, Pouliot, Sekera (plus Hall and Eberle, but they weren't captain material either).
The Canucks have played the entire season without a Captain, and with 23-year-old heir apparent Bo Horvat on the roster. This is what Edmonton should have done.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 08:00 AM   #9815
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
McDavid didn't have to sign his offer. First, it was a year in advance, so no offer sheet was coming. Second, he had options - shorter term, sit out, hold out of camp, etc. Plus, offer sheets are fine to talk about, but the offering team needs to (a) have the cap room and (b) own the compensation. That limits the number of offerors. And so what if one comes and they match. That 8th year is not worth it.
When someone offers you 100 million dollars a year in adavamce and the alternative is wait a year, then take a 1-2 year deal you take the 100 million dollars.

Anyone who states they would have done something different is a liar or an idiot. Chirelli wasnt going to offer a 5-7 year deal a year out. He trade certainty and cap hit for term. Also in the player empowerment era he can just hold out and demand a trade whenever he breaks.

The 8yr sea was the only sensible decision.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #9816
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

You know McDavid was livid when he saw the Matthews deal. Matthews still got good money and only gave up one year as a UFA. 5 years from now he can either stay on a good team or pick another team that he thinks will be good.

The Oilers if they don't fugger it up will be coming out of their rebuild in year 5 of McDavid's contract.

Mind you, he'll get a few free trips to Europe to play in the World Championships that Matthew's won't.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 08:09 AM   #9817
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
When someone offers you 100 million dollars a year in adavamce and the alternative is wait a year, then take a 1-2 year deal you take the 100 million dollars.

Anyone who states they would have done something different is a liar or an idiot. Chirelli wasnt going to offer a 5-7 year deal a year out. He trade certainty and cap hit for term. Also in the player empowerment era he can just hold out and demand a trade whenever he breaks.

The 8yr sea was the only sensible decision.
So don't hold out when it's legal and then do it when it's a contract breach? That's smart.

You realize he didn't get the money right away despite the contract being signed a year in advance, right? He didn't have to sign anything at all, for a year and a half.

I assume the $100M/year was intended exaggeration.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:11 AM   #9818
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Not sign for 8 years? Take the shortest deal possible to get out of that place.
That’s not what the poster was suggesting. How does that stop him being an Oiler now?

The original poster said he could have signed anywhere...please explain the process for this. I’m very confused.

Last edited by CanadaMatt; 02-28-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #9819
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Over the past few months it has occurred to me that I most NHL leaders have been waiting for a guy like McDavid. They dont have to be captain anymore of team North America, All star team or any other fake important team where being the leader just means you have to talk to the media more than anyone else. Likewise, whenever you play the Oilers, you just need to point out that he is the best player in the world and the pressure is instantly off you. Almost every interview of great players (Mathews being the exception that has highlighted the trend in this case) points to McDavid. The sad part is that Oilers fans are so desperate for their crap hole of a franchise to be relevant that they just eat this up...

E=NG and there is no doubt that if McDavid doesn't leave in the next couple of years his career will be NG also as he is missing out on critical development time in an atmosphere where that is fostered.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #9820
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
I know +/- isn't a perfect statistic but it's telling that there are only 2 players in the top 20 scoring who are a minus and they're both oilers.
McLotto and Drai, the two who play zero defense.

Plus/minus is just not only “not perfect”, it’s pretty much useless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Closed Thread