Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2021, 02:08 PM   #1561
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lucked out on SCN. I bought in early covid days and have followed it up. I sold enough to recoup my initial investment early last week and the rest is just gravy now. It will help a bit to offset a LOT more of the dogs I have. Definitely one of those cases where one wishes they bought a ton more. Hindsight is a cold hearted witch. Anyway, glad to have something in the plus category!

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #1562
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Check out www.koyfin.com

It's a pretty solid site (free) and you can create your own charts and such there. It's actually pretty great in general and lets you do a lot.
Slava, do you know of a resource I could tap that could explain all this stuff I'm looking at on that site? I'd like to get into the world of stocks (moreso than just passive investing). A place to learn how to read these charts, what to look for, etc.?
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:35 PM   #1563
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-HkyhZCLOw
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IGGYRULES For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 07:33 PM   #1564
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Slava, do you know of a resource I could tap that could explain all this stuff I'm looking at on that site? I'd like to get into the world of stocks (moreso than just passive investing). A place to learn how to read these charts, what to look for, etc.?
Unfortunately not really. I know some people have learned a fair amount on sites like Investopedia. But as far as learning what everything there represents and how to apply that to investing, it’s a lot of information! Short of taking an actual course I don’t really know what to suggest. If that’s of interest, there are courses that are self study through CSI, which go through the basics. There’s going to be some things there that you don’t care about (assuming that you’re just doing this for yourself and not actually looking to get licensed), but you could always skip that.

As far as using Koyfin and technical analysis, there is a designation now called a Chartered Market Technician (CMT). I wasn’t super interested in it (because it’s just kind of not my thing), but the coursework is interesting and it definitely gives you a good review of charts, trading methodology and things like that. It’s just that to do the program is a significant commitment. Not CFA kind of big commitment, but you would want to put a lot of time in. You could buy the books for these courses, but I think they were something like $225 each, so you’d have to be pretty interested! (Roughly 800 pages I’d say).

Hopefully this makes sense. I’ve typed it out in between plays of the game and trying to think of good resources!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 07:57 PM   #1565
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Hey manwiches just curious what live stock ticker do you use in your screenshots? my subscription with my current one is about to be up and I was wondering what else was out there for me.
I use TradingView for almost all my charting. ThinkorSwim for scanner and proprietary studies. I use Questrade for my orders, time and sales and level 2 and monitor the market, but Questrade charting sucks sh1t

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 08:00 PM   #1566
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Any update on your feeling about this lately? I've got some down on it and the needle hasn't moved in a couple days. Still optimistic about a spike? (well, second spike above 3).
Out on the first surge. But I think it has more.

The offering they dropped was shady, but the fact it got eaten up so fast, tells me lots of bullish sentiment still.

I have my own metric of when to re-enter, but for me, too risky right now. I need it to drop more.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:01 PM   #1567
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
I won't be buying Cryptocurrency stocks until the next crash, I'm slowly exiting my current plays and taking profit.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Smart. This is the third leg of the uptrend. Look at GBTC 4 years ago, and I'd be expecting a sharp pullback soon. In addition, all other indices are overextended

Old 01-18-2021, 08:02 PM   #1568
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
Does anybody have a recommendation on good charting programs to use for people new to technical analysis? I've always been a fairly good fundamentals investor but I'm trying to develop my skills in technical analysis as well.
TradingView. I love it.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:05 PM   #1569
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGGYRULES View Post
If you are new to trading, I recommend starting with this strategy. It is the easiest and clearest way to trade, until you get a grasp of the market.

Remember, higher timeframes always prevails. So draw your trendlines based on longer timeframes

Old 01-18-2021, 08:09 PM   #1570
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Battery and charging sector will be next up imo

I'm in QS, RMO, for reversal off the 61.8 fib (look at FUBO as an example) and looking at getting into SBE when it falls. Handful of others, including the mining side like PLM and LAC too.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:02 AM   #1571
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like EV and related stocks are up pre market today.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #1572
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else in BNGO or FRSX by any chance?

They were both small speculative plays for me, but they've ballooned up 7x/5x and now have not insignificant profits. I'm trying to figure out if there's any runway left or time to get out (I've already taken out my initial investment). There seems to be quite a lot of hype around both.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #1573
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

BB making moves today.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #1574
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
BB making moves today.

I've made 66% on blackberry since someone mentioned it here. Went and did some research and they seem to be poised to take some big steps forward as a company in a whole different market.

Exciting ride.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:11 PM   #1575
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Oh wow, still shooting up as I was typing that. Up 19.09% today.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/29/tech/...hen/index.html

Quote:
BlackBerry (BB) shares surged more than 10% Friday morning after the company reported earnings and sales that topped forecasts. The company also raised its outlook for its current fiscal year. BlackBerry (BB)’s stock has now surged more than 40% so far in 2019.
The key to BlackBerry’s success: a transition from the cutthroat business of selling hardware to the far more lucrative world of software – particularly cybersecurity and the so-called Internet of Things for connected devices like cars.

Quote:
BlackBerry also recently acquired Cylance, a leader in using artificial intelligence and machine learning for cybersecurity. Cylance sells a lot of its products to banks.
Chen told CNN Business that BlackBerry may do some other small acquisitions to complement the Cylance business as well as its QNX software that powers infotainment systems in cars.
But the message to Wall Street is clear. BlackBerry, whose corporate survival was in doubt shortly before Chen took charge as the company was losing money and hemorrhaging cash, is no longer on death’s door. It’s thriving.

Stock market aside, this is great to see a Canadian giant rising again in a different way.

Last edited by jayswin; 01-19-2021 at 02:35 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 04:02 PM   #1576
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

They have a lot going for them right now including:
-Positive cash flow with a low P/E multiple relative to the industry
-Recently settled with Facebook. Facebook has to pay them for patent infringement for Facebook messenger which used some of Blackberry's tech for BBM.
-They are working with Hyundai on autonomous vehicle software. Hyundai just partnered with Apple for vehicles so it could open some big doors if Apple adopts Blackberry's tech.
-Amazon invested in Blackberry earlier in 2020 in regards to that same tech for its own line of vehicles.

I bought them right at the end of 2020, sold a 1/3 of my position a couple days ago when the first spike happened and am now holding to see where it goes.

Last edited by Kiran403; 01-19-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiran403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 04:37 PM   #1577
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Anyone else in BNGO or FRSX by any chance?

They were both small speculative plays for me, but they've ballooned up 7x/5x and now have not insignificant profits. I'm trying to figure out if there's any runway left or time to get out (I've already taken out my initial investment). There seems to be quite a lot of hype around both.
When do you normally try to recoup your initial investment? I have a position in XBC.TO and it's up 150% since I got in and is now 10% of my TFSA. I have been keeping my individual positions around 5% so am feeling like I should cash in half, let the rest buck and look for something new.

Is that a decent strategy?
Old 01-19-2021, 05:29 PM   #1578
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

How often would I have to trade in my TFSA account for them to try to tax me as a business?
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:34 PM   #1579
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having been burnt by “I’ll just wait a bit more” and having had the stock drop on me I’m now in the mode that if I’m considering selling some/all then I do it and don’t look back. I’ve lost more, much more, by holding than by selling “too early”. 150% is great. If you were told when you first bought if you’d make even 75% you would have likely been happy. Take the 150 and run or sell your book value or book value plus a little profit and ride the rest if you think there is still room.

I had a coworker years ago who told me when he bought something his broker asked him what percentage increase would make him happy? They’d agree on a number and the broker will put in a sell order for that level. He was happen whenever his broker would call and tell his stock sold as it hit his level. It’s tough to have the discipline to do that and there are likely times where you’ll sell too early but then there are likely moments when you’ll dodge a bullet. Those are more important than selling at 150% instead of 200%.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 06:25 PM   #1580
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
How often would I have to trade in my TFSA account for them to try to tax me as a business?
It's up to CRA's discretion. I would suspect you would need to have a large TFSA value (> $250k) and make multiple trades in a week to be on their radar.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post: