Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #5781
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
It would be a mistake to think that. Irrational and illiterate vocal minority may seem like "many of us", but they are not that many, just more loud and more visible floating on the surface. Humanity has never willingly abandoned an available source of energy.
Whatever the actual breakdown may be, there's clearly enough opposition to be a major force in terms of driving a significant amount of economic/political policy on the matter in this country.

Btw, I'm not sure that type of labelling will help matters!

Last edited by Table 5; 01-18-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:18 PM   #5782
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
It would be a mistake to think that. Irrational and illiterate vocal minority may seem like "many of us", but they are not that many, just more loud and more visible floating on the surface. Humanity has never willingly abandoned an available source of energy.
I dont get this. Of course we have. Over and over and over and over whenever something better, more efficient or more convenient comes along we drop whatever we were using before for that newer, better thing.

Or are you still reading at night by lamp-light powered by whale-oil?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 01:28 PM   #5783
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont get this. Of course we have. Over and over and over and over whenever something better, more efficient or more convenient comes along we drop whatever we were using before for that newer, better thing.

Nuclear comes to mind too.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:31 PM   #5784
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Nuclear comes to mind too.
I veer away from Nuclear power because it is the red-headed stepchild of energy.

I'm a huge proponent personally, but it carries a lot of negative weight.

Plunk a few reactors around this giant land of ours and we'd be getting a lot closer to those Paris targets while seeing our Utility bills practically dry up.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 01:32 PM   #5785
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Not having followed Keystone in detail, what was the reason for phase 4 having such a radically different route than phase 1? Surely it would have been much easier to gain approvals on land where those phase 1 deals were already in place. Obviously it's shorter, and I see that there was a plan to access the Bakken formation fields in Montana. Are those the only reasons? Was it thought that approval on the phase 4 route would be easier than additional capacity along the phase 1?

In retrospect, would a larger-capacity along the phase 1 line, combined with a connector line with the Bakken fields as a later phase have been better?
Phase 1 took the long route because they converted a big chunk of the old natural gas mainline to oil service. So most of the Canadian portion was already built.

For KXL they planned to build new, so they went the shortest route.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 02:00 PM   #5786
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I veer away from Nuclear power because it is the red-headed stepchild of energy.

Plunk a few reactors around this giant land of ours and we'd be getting a lot closer to those Paris targets while seeing our Utility bills practically dry up.
Nuclear safety reminds of the airplanes vs cars comparison. Nuclear from a big-picture perspective is extremely safe and rarely ever fails, but when it fails it, it gets a lot of attention... like a plane crash. Meanwhile, other sources of energy are like car accidents...they add up, but don't necessarily make the news. When it comes to energy, there many more cumulative negative health and environmental effects (air pollution, mining, dangerous working conditions etc.) from non-nuclear sources, yet they don't get the headlines in the same way because there's not that one big news-making event.

I'm with you though, I think if we're serious about climate targets and still want to maintain our energy lifestyle, a much heavier reliance on nuclear is needed. It actually already makes up something like 20% of the USA's energy needs. In France it's a whopping 70%. France is an interesting case-study in that it's energy prices are half the cost of those of it's neighbour Germany (who went big on solar/wind instead).
Old 01-18-2021, 02:41 PM   #5787
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

I want all nuclear. I love the idea of a Mr Fusion on our cars. I want to see the nuclear version of the Pinto, where every day on the way to work we see these small mushroom clouds caused by rear end collisions.

(Or as Han Solo says Nuclear power doesn't work that way)

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:55 PM   #5788
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Perhaps more accurately it would be that humanity has never abandoned a primary source of energy. Despite the common use of whale oil as an example, it was never a major source of energy.

So when coal supplanted biomass, people still kept on burning wood. And when oil supplanted coal, coal use in 2019 is only 1.5% off its all-time high and 60% higher than it was 20 years ago. And natural gas is growing much faster than other sources of energy (mainly coal and nuclear) are declining from NG competition.

https://www.axios.com/despite-renewa...bce483473.html
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #5789
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The energy mix in most Canadian homes leans more heavily towards natural gas heating than electricity usage. Change heating to electric on all new builds would be key in your scenario.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:44 PM   #5790
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
The energy mix in most Canadian homes leans more heavily towards natural gas heating than electricity usage. Change heating to electric on all new builds would be key in your scenario.
Hey man....if it were up to me we'd have been splittin' some atoms years ago!

Old 01-18-2021, 07:09 PM   #5791
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hey man....if it were up to me we'd have been splittin' some atoms years ago!
Just an FYI, but we already are. There are 19 power reactors inside 5 nuclear plants in Canada (4 in Ontario, 1 in NB) that provide about 15% of our country's energy.

All in all, the majority of our electricity is generated from "renewable" resources...mostly hydro and nuclear.
Spoiler!

Compared that to China, where something like 59% is derived from coal.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:17 AM   #5792
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some interesting weblinks specific to Alberta below:
Alberta Major Projects: https://majorprojects.alberta.ca/#/
LIVE AESO Power: http://ets.aeso.ca/ets_web/ip/Market...DReportServlet
- this is cool because u can see the source energy whether it's hydro, solar, natural gas, etc.
Here's a different, more colorful, take on the above: https://www.dispatcho.app/
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 11:53 AM   #5793
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not too broken up about KXL. Truth be told I've questioned it's necessity for the last couple of years. We have pipe going in the ground for both Line 3 and TMX, is there really a business case for another 800kbpd?

The age of major projects is probably behind us for good, I'm skeptical we're going to add more production where the additional takeaway is needed.

Industry is looking hard at reducing diluent requirements, that's where I see our incremental capacity increases happening going forward. We could add 1/3 more production if we eliminated diluent blending.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:13 PM   #5794
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I'm not too broken up about KXL. Truth be told I've questioned it's necessity for the last couple of years. We have pipe going in the ground for both Line 3 and TMX, is there really a business case for another 800kbpd?

The age of major projects is probably behind us for good, I'm skeptical we're going to add more production where the additional takeaway is needed.

Industry is looking hard at reducing diluent requirements, that's where I see our incremental capacity increases happening going forward. We could add 1/3 more production if we eliminated diluent blending.
Pipelines won't get final investment decision until capacity is committed by the producers. It's a "build it and they will come" situation. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:47 PM   #5795
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
Pipelines won't get final investment decision until capacity is committed by the producers. It's a "build it and they will come" situation. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.
The provincial government putting their thumb on the scale distorts the economics. Producers were signing up for any proposed capacity a few years ago, but now I doubt many have the same growth ambitions.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:10 PM   #5796
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The provincial government putting their thumb on the scale distorts the economics. Producers were signing up for any proposed capacity a few years ago, but now I doubt many have the same growth ambitions.
In the Pre Covid months Canada was still exporting 1.5 million m^3 per month by rail. This is about 350,000 bbls / day of current demand. That’s all of line 3s excess capacity.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:32 PM   #5797
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
In the Pre Covid months Canada was still exporting 1.5 million m^3 per month by rail. This is about 350,000 bbls / day of current demand. That’s all of line 3s excess capacity.
True, but now that everyone has sat on their nickels for another year we've probably had a decent legacy decline in production, at least in conventional and some SAGD. 2019, no one spent money because of curtailment, 2020 had Covid shut in and plummeting rig count. We've had two years where we either cut back or didn't spend enough to really sustain the maximum capacity. There's also some shut in bottom tier SAGD that I'm skeptical get turned back on or will decline into nothing.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:49 PM   #5798
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

The NDP Government launched a $2.1 Billion partial upgrading program to develop technologies to do exactly that but the UCP decided to cancel the program. Here's what the Sonya Savage had to say when defending the cancellation.

Quote:
These programs rely on grants and loan guarantees, and carry a higher financial risk to government – and ultimately, to Albertans,
Morons
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cal_guy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 09:25 PM   #5799
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Should be pushing pipelines hard to the coast, and some major LNG projects.

LNG is at a record high price level currently and its going to be a growth market for years.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #5800
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

This decision has pretty much put me in a state of depression the last week.

It pretty much guarantees that major expansions at places like Christina Lake and Foster Creek are dead.

I am not going to make the case for Alberta oil here. There are hundreds if not thousands of posts on the form making the case.

It’s just a sad day. I just feel helpless and sad.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post: