Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2021, 09:42 AM   #1441
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be happier if Burnham and the whole Discovery crew bit the dust and Vance + section 31 guy ran the show. Knowing Michelle Paradise the Disco writer crew, the Burnham will be president of the Federation pretty soon
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:52 AM   #1442
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Just have a mysterious something wipe out the entire crew in S4E1, and the rest of the episode just be glory shots of Discovery floating empty through space ala Star Trek, The Motion Picture. Just, like, 55 minutes of that. Then end the episode with a ship finding the Discovery, and boarding it. Voila, a "Great Reset", if you will. Then they can start over with a new crew set in the future.

I'd like to see that.

It could be

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:56 AM   #1443
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I'd be happier if Burnham and the whole Discovery crew bit the dust and Vance + section 31 guy ran the show. Knowing Michelle Paradise the Disco writer crew, the Burnham will be president of the Federation pretty soon

Oh its coming, look at the character development of Burnham, her whole story is built around screwing over her superior officers.

Stages a coup on George. George ends up being the main course at a Klingon Buffet.

Screws over Saru on multiple occasions, makes him look like the worst dumba$$ ever. Even when she was demoted, argued and over ruled his commands.

So yeah, she's totally going to stage a coup on the Federation.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:02 AM   #1444
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Oh its coming, look at the character development of Burnham, her whole story is built around screwing over her superior officers.

Stages a coup on George. George ends up being the main course at a Klingon Buffet.

Screws over Saru on multiple occasions, makes him look like the worst dumba$$ ever. Even when she was demoted, argued and over ruled his commands.

And the show will justify her actions and make her a hero for making the "tough choice" to stage the coup.

The Admiral is likely the acting Federation President, but didn't want to show that card, Michael uses this as her way of being morally justified.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:08 AM   #1445
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Maybe that's why they removed Disco from the production schedule. They're renaming it Star Trek:Burnham.

Seriously shes gotta be the most unlikable character out there, narcissistic behaviour, saviour complex, constantly throws her friends under the bus. Really no redeeming personal qualities but she somehow always saves the day because the universe aligns to fix her mistakes every time while she fails up the chain of command. Like I get it when characters are flawed, realize their errors, and get redeemed through struggle.... but she's had three seasons and she's still the same.

Last edited by FlameOn; 01-11-2021 at 10:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #1446
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was weird how Doug Jones was treated. Basically abandoned. Is it possible he didn't want to go through all the makeup anymore? They came up with a really weird plot point in the holo where he appeared as a human for the last few episodes. it would all make a bit more sense if he was done with the costume.

Maybe Brunham overthrows the Admiral, then installs Saru as the new Admiral, so he only makes guest appearances.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:15 AM   #1447
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It was weird how Doug Jones was treated. Basically abandoned. Is it possible he didn't want to go through all the makeup anymore? They came up with a really weird plot point in the holo where he appeared as a human for the last few episodes. it would all make a bit more sense if he was done with the costume.

Maybe Brunham overthrows the Admiral, then installs Saru as the new Admiral, so he only makes guest appearances.
This- they made him human so he could better relate to and be less dramatic to... someone from his actual race?
Old 01-11-2021, 10:17 AM   #1448
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Doug Jones has made a career of being one of the really good actors under makeup. I think it feels like more of, we need to sum up his story so he's no longer Captain so we can shoe horn Michael into the captains chair. I expect he's done, we might get an episode with him as a guest star, but it feels like he's done.

Lets be honest though, they completely wrecked him as a Captain or even a respected character in this show. Its too bad because he's an exceptional actor and did a great job in that last episode. Meanwhile Green is and continues to be just an terrible actress.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:35 AM   #1449
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
This- they made him human so he could better relate to and be less dramatic to... someone from his actual race?
Not as weird as Gray becoming real because the holodeck somehow recognizes him as a person??? "Omg... you are a real boy now!"
Old 01-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #1450
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Not as weird as Gray becoming real because the holodeck somehow recognizes him as a person??? "Omg... you are a real boy now!"

Yet being able to leave the holodeck and not instantly vanishing because stuff.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:47 AM   #1451
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well I like how Hugh was written and fleshed out a bit more, he was likeable, it was the one good surprise for me this season.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:50 AM   #1452
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
Well I like how Hugh was written and fleshed out a bit more, he was likeable, it was the one good surprise for me this season.
His writing this season was decent. I also liked Paul trying to put Hugh's life ahead of the greater good (i.e. anti-Starfleet morals but very human).
Old 01-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #1453
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless they're planting fake information to throw people off, Saru will be back for season 4.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1323337555450961921
Old 01-11-2021, 02:57 PM   #1454
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
His writing this season was decent. I also liked Paul trying to put Hugh's life ahead of the greater good (i.e. anti-Starfleet morals but very human).
I also like how they took Adira under their wing it was nice a positive. Now while Star Trek has always been progressive I have a question about Adira, does she want to be called 'them' because of her sexuality/identity or because she is literally a gestalt entity?

Also what species was she turned into in the holo?
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duruss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 05:06 PM   #1455
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
I also like how they took Adira under their wing it was nice a positive. Now while Star Trek has always been progressive I have a question about Adira, does she want to be called 'them' because of her sexuality/identity or because she is literally a gestalt entity?

Also what species was she turned into in the holo?
From Reddit:

Quote:
Adira was Xahean, like Po from the short trek/Season 2:
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...Ika_Hali_Ka_Po

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 09:54 PM   #1456
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Do you have a link to this? I just did a quick google search and I'm not seeing this news anywhere. The latest update I've found is that they're set to begin filming on Feb. 1st, at least according to Jeri Ryan.

https://trekmovie.com/2020/12/26/jer...on-start-date/
For the season 4 they are supposedly having funding problems now that Disco has shown itself to be horribly disappointing for Netflix and the contract is up. It's part of the reason why they ended the season on the Star Trek quote.
~1:00 mark. Apparently a dedicated video on this a bit later since these are recent rumors.

As for Picard production problems, these are around Covid-19 and being unable to get Patrick Stewart insured for filming at his age with the current stage of the pandemic + number of case in California (like a full fifth of LA). They may have started production, but filming cannot start until Stewart has his insurance. It's at the ~2:00 mark from midnight's edge livestream.

Last edited by FlameOn; 01-11-2021 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:39 PM   #1457
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 01:06 PM   #1458
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was testing out some equipment and I used some scenes from Star Trek into darkness. I also put on “all our yesterday’s” from TOS. I was surprised with my reaction to the characters.

Star Trek is about relationships. Between the crew, between other species, even relationships with technology.

We have had 3 seasons of discovery and the best relationships were between pike, number one and Spock!

I’m fine with discovery; I would like the show to continue. The writers should seriously consider looking into the relationships between cast members. Honestly, if you were in space for 3years wouldn’t you have buddies? The best Star Trek episodes don’t involve quantum space jumps and transporters everywhere, they involve danger to personal relationships, challenges to be solved, and situational awareness including moral dilemmas like the prime directive. You don’t need multimillion dollar green screen episodes every single week.

I feel that there is a story for Discovery to tell, but it exists between having the only starship that can transport literally anywhere and saving the entire universe every week.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 03:37 PM   #1459
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There are really only two or three developed characters on the show, Michael, Saru, Stamets, everyone else is two dimensional and non existent. The storyline last year to me wasn't good and all that interesting, and they took a good concept with the burn and made it so silly that it was cringeworthy.

I've heard that netflix definitely wants out, they don't want to pay that budget for a show that's looking like a dog. Except for Flashes of good, the writing and storylines and development have been in my mind poor to boring to silly. I keep watching because I know that TNG and DS9 took a while to get off of the ground. But after last years the Burn was caused by a angry baby, I almost checked out. When they gave what's her face command, and she promptly turned it around and gave it to Michael and they had an 8 minute discussion while under fire I pretty much gave up. Then I decided that this show would be awesome on the college humor youtube channel.

I won't mourn to long if it doesn't come back.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:52 AM   #1460
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't even been able to get motivated to watch the season 3 finale. It's like an hour long and I know it's going to be not very good. I just read the plot online and yeah, about as expected, somehow Burnham becomes the captain even though it makes no sense for Starfleet or her personally. Just so sick of her. The mirror universe episodes were hilarious with her trying to act "evil" - everyone else was able to pull it off but she seemed like a kid in a bad theatre play. With Michelle Yeoh and now seemingly Doug Jones off the show they seem to have lost anyone that has any acting ability or nuance. Like even if Yeoh was hammy at times at least she was interesting. Do I have any interest in watching another season of Burnham and Tilly? Ugh.

Strange New Worlds at least has potential because we already like the characters and actors and they have solid chemistry. We'll see how the other shoe drops though, they're going to find some ways to make it woke and progressive somehow -- can't have two straight white male characters steal the show...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote