Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-14-2020, 04:11 PM   #2481
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Apple released Apple Fitness+ today. As a Peleton Digital user for the past 9 months I've been very excited to try this. Love the interface with he metrics on the screen. I'm sure it'll take some time to get used to the instructors but the menus and options are slick! Did a run and a cool down so far.

Bubye Peleton!
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #2482
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So has anyone tried out the AirPods Max?
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #2483
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone have a 16" MacBook Pro and is having trouble with shiny keys on the keyboard? For whatever reason the right part of my spacebar is super shiny I guess from use? Is there any way to clean or correct this. I don't have dirty/oily hands or anything so I'm not sure why it's the right part when I use the left part too.

My wife has the previous generation 13" Macbook (with the crappy keyboard) her keyboard is shiny free. Her keys seem to be more matte vs the 16" Macbook Pro.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:23 PM   #2484
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Anyone know why apple randomly removed the album name from the music player on Lock Screen? Or how to bring it back?

There’s still a space for it but it’s blank. Now on the Lock Screen is song name, below that is artist name and below that is a big blank space where the album name used to be. Plus the other usual stuff, album art, airplay button etc

I tried googling with no success. Super puzzling decision by apple (never said that before lol).
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:05 PM   #2485
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Anyone know why apple randomly removed the album name from the music player on Lock Screen? Or how to bring it back?

There’s still a space for it but it’s blank. Now on the Lock Screen is song name, below that is artist name and below that is a big blank space where the album name used to be. Plus the other usual stuff, album art, airplay button etc

I tried googling with no success. Super puzzling decision by apple (never said that before lol).
It shows the album name after the artist's name for me. I don't remember it being below but you could be right.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 03:39 PM   #2486
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Ah you’re right. Apple has combined those two lines for some reason. But it doesn’t seem to scroll and has a very small visible area for both artist and album name so I had to skip quite a few songs before I could find one that allowed me to confirm.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:58 PM   #2487
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Apple Music has animated album covers now. I discovered this when I played the new Bicep album. Kinda cool but could get annoying.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:57 AM   #2488
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

iOS 14.4 final has been released to the Developer Beta.

I stayed on 14.3 for the whole testing cycle of 14.4 this time, I've not encountered any issues after moving to 14.4.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #2489
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
iOS 14.4 final has been released to the Developer Beta.

I stayed on 14.3 for the whole testing cycle of 14.4 this time, I've not encountered any issues after moving to 14.4.
Hopefully they fix the stuttering when you close an app on a 12 Pro.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:51 PM   #2490
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reliable copy/paste functionality and non-varying backspace speed are the only things on my wish list.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:20 PM   #2491
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default General Apple Megathread

Hoping to get some advice from this thread. I’m in the market for a new phone as my iPhone 7 has really started to take a hit in the battery department.

I was originally drawn to the 12 mini because of the form factor, but after doing some reading I’m kind of thinking go big or go home. I would love the battery on that pro Max, but I feel like there would be a serious learning curve coming from a 7.

So what are the recommendations? 12? 12 mini? Pro max?

Or should I hold out for the 2021 update?

Last edited by bax; 02-05-2021 at 10:05 AM.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:32 AM   #2492
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I'm far from an apple expert but I'd say this decision should be more about your feelings on budget and size of the phone.

If possible, I might try and hit up a apple store. Or telus/rogers/bell store. Somewhere you can handle the phone and get a feel for it.

From a user interface perspective, I don't think you'll be thrown off much by the UI. Apple has made only minor tweeks to IOS in the last 5 or so years and few of the changes are significant enough that there would be any sort of a learning curve. I'm biased, obviously, but apple and innovation don't exactly go hand in hand anymore. They're more concerned with nickel and diming you to buy over priced accessories, chargers, watches and ear buds than they are updating the OS on their devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 02-04-2021, 08:33 AM   #2493
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go to the Apple Store in Chinook and see for yourself the size difference between your current iPhone 7 and the 12 Pro Max. I have an 11 Pro and it is basically the best size for the features I wanted. I generally find the Max / Plus variants of phones are just annoyingly big, and I still get more than a day of battery life with my 11 Pro, so it isn’t like I’m going to really notice the extra battery capacity.

Biggest adjustment you’ll have is no home button. That’s just a matter of replacing “press home button” with “swipe up” in your brain. Some of the gestures can be a bit annoying depending on the apps you use, anything with a bottom nav bar can sometimes detect a swipe down for reachability as a tap and change the screen you were on.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 02-04-2021 at 08:36 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 08:36 AM   #2494
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The Max is huge, especially if you’re leaning towards the Mini. Other than the better cameras and battery life the experience should be about the same. I do recommend the 12 Pro over the 12. That’s what I use and the cameras are far better. Other than that pick the size you think you can live with best.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:52 AM   #2495
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Just realize you're moving from touchID to faceID in the Era of Mask.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:14 AM   #2496
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

I received a Series 6 Iwatch that is 40mm but based on my wifes iwatch I don't think that it will fit my wrist. Does anyone know if the apple store will exchange with the difference paid for the larger version? The watch is still in a brand new unopened condition.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:50 AM   #2497
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
I received a Series 6 Iwatch that is 40mm but based on my wifes iwatch I don't think that it will fit my wrist. Does anyone know if the apple store will exchange with the difference paid for the larger version? The watch is still in a brand new unopened condition.
If you have the receipt they absolutely will, as long as it’s within the return window.

But, I would give it a try honestly. 40mm is a good size (they used to come in 38 and 42) and the 44 is very large.

The 40mm is closer to the size of a typical watch. The 44 starts to get into gaudy territory.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 09:11 AM   #2498
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
If you have the receipt they absolutely will, as long as it’s within the return window.

But, I would give it a try honestly. 40mm is a good size (they used to come in 38 and 42) and the 44 is very large.

The 40mm is closer to the size of a typical watch. The 44 starts to get into gaudy territory.
Thanks. I was worried that the 40 might look small on my wrist as I am a big guy. I'm Tempted to leave it in the box until I can get up to Calgary and try on the two sizes. On the other hand it's begging to be opened up and tried on right at home.

I don't have a receipt as I won the watch through a promotion/draw from one of our suppliers and I am not going to ask them for one lol.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:04 PM   #2499
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Just realize you're moving from touchID to faceID in the Era of Mask.
Face ID now has an option to 'Set Up an Alternate Appearance', so you can do your initial setup with an unobstructed view of your face, then set up an alternate appearance wearing a mask.

Face ID has gotten really, really good since it was first introduced, and it doesn't have the issue of winter gloves obscuring your fingerprint.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 01:02 PM   #2500
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
Thanks. I was worried that the 40 might look small on my wrist as I am a big guy. I'm Tempted to leave it in the box until I can get up to Calgary and try on the two sizes. On the other hand it's begging to be opened up and tried on right at home.

I don't have a receipt as I won the watch through a promotion/draw from one of our suppliers and I am not going to ask them for one lol.
Yeah without a receipt it's pretty tough, I don't know of anyone who has had any luck with an exchange at Apple without one, but hey, you never know.

I too was a little worried about size and didn't want to attempt to go into a store to try it on, but I just watched a lot of videos to get an idea. My wrist is about 200mm around and I got the 40. It's pretty perfect in my opinion, but I do like the more standard/classic watch size. I did try on the 44 last time I was there just to confirm my choice, and honestly, it looked too big, but I also really dislike the big, bulky watches that were popular for a while.

Maybe measure your wrist and use that as a reference. But at the end of the day, you'll probably have to try them both on. And if the 40 works better for you, bonus, you don't have to ask for a return!
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: