Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2016, 08:17 AM   #401
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
You should listen to Pinder at 9 if you want Jays talk, dude is a full blown Jays homer. I feel like he talks Jays quite a bit. Agreed on needing more CFL talk too. I really like Pinder, but you can tell he's got that typical upnosed "Eastern" view of the CFL. It kinda bugs me. Yeah it's not the NFL, but it's an old league full of tradition, and it's professional football players. Like it for what it freakin is, stop over thinking it.
I don't blame Pinder as he knows that if you want to go anywhere in Rogers you have to be a big baseball guy. Walker wasn't really a big sports guy but he was a big baseball guy and look where that got him. Also caring about the CFL will get you nowhere with Rogers but I do agree he should at least try harder in this market.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #402
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
why don't they interview people? Rogers is showing the Rogers Cup. It's two hours ahead of us. Can't they get Arash Madani, Robert Bettauer Jimmy Arias heck even Damien Cox to discuss the tennis? Last week it could have been a Canadian Open golf guy. Just fill a 20 minute segment featuring a current event instead of bad jokes.

The artist of the day is bad enough. Today they were arguing the significance of the artist of the day, whether to continue it or not.
Boomer hates tennis so its not going to happen in the morning. That said I'm surprised this week in the afternoon shows they haven't discussed the Rogers Cup. Everything Rogers is dictated by Toronto and right now all Toronto cares about is the Blue Jays. It's almost annoying and this is coming from someone that tuned into games over the years when they sucked.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:33 AM   #403
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
why don't they interview people? Rogers is showing the Rogers Cup. It's two hours ahead of us. Can't they get Arash Madani, Robert Bettauer Jimmy Arias heck even Damien Cox to discuss the tennis? Last week it could have been a Canadian Open golf guy. Just fill a 20 minute segment featuring a current event instead of bad jokes.

The artist of the day is bad enough. Today they were arguing the significance of the artist of the day, whether to continue it or not.
Yeah that artist of the day argument made me switch to FM. They were also like Brian Elliot was in Croatia?! WTF? Then they go on for 10 minutes about how Croatia is a bad country and since he's a multi millionaire, why is he going to the third world?

So dumb sometimes.

Hockey is obviously king in Calgary. But as a Calgary radio station, they should touch on all local sports throughout the day.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #404
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Boomer hates tennis so its not going to happen in the morning. That said I'm surprised this week in the afternoon shows they haven't discussed the Rogers Cup. Everything Rogers is dictated by Toronto and right now all Toronto cares about is the Blue Jays. It's almost annoying and this is coming from someone that tuned into games over the years when they sucked.
then sorry Boomer is not fit for that job. Hire Mango!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #405
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't blame Pinder as he knows that if you want to go anywhere in Rogers you have to be a big baseball guy. Walker wasn't really a big sports guy but he was a big baseball guy and look where that got him. Also caring about the CFL will get you nowhere with Rogers but I do agree he should at least try harder in this market.
Pinder's background confuses me, is he a Calgary raised guy, or a Toronto/eastern guy? He just seems like a die-hard Flames fan who can spit old school memories about them only long-time fans would know. Plus his sister and brother both live here.

But then on the flip side, he's kind of got that Eastern mentality (Jays maniac, looks down on the CFL). Plus I've heard him say stuff like "you prairie folk", and has talked about using a skateboard back when he was living in Toronto, which implies he was younger when he was there. I'm very confused by his background, is he from here originally, or from Ontario?
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:35 PM   #406
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
But as a Calgary radio station, they should touch on all local sports throughout the day.
I sometimes think they need more new local content on during the evening (when they are not broadcasting hockey) and weekends in stead of broadcasting "best of" shows.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #407
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Calgary had a #### load of top ranked rugby played in it over the last 12 months. Not one peep on air. Hell one of the National Team Men's coaches lives in Calgary, as do several players. There are also a number of women's team that live in Calgary.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #408
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

People don't care about sports like rugby. If they do that stuff, people switch. Same with tennis, golf and almost anything else.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #409
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
People don't care about sports like rugby. If they do that stuff, people switch. Same with tennis, golf and almost anything else.
There's golf and tennis talk all the time though...
UFC is the only sport I will turn it 10/10 times. Anything else I can deal with in small doses.

I would like to hear more soccer. They do a good job during the World Cup and Euro, but it'd be nice to hear some Champions League or BPL stuff through the year.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #410
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They play too many stupid little bit clips. Ruins the show IMO.

I also think the Ego's of Boomer, Pinder, and Rhett (when he is there) are far too large for the average program they put on. Which leads to a program that isn't as good as it could be.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #411
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Morning show in my opinion is really good. Pinder / Boomer and Rhett work well together.

Yes they try new stuff, some segments work others don't
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #412
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Morning show in my opinion is really good. Pinder / Boomer and Rhett work well together.

Yes they try new stuff, some segments work others don't
It's a lot better when Rhett's on.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #413
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

More time talking sports this week. Jays, fantasy football, and anything else newsworthy that day. Boomer should take some notes for when he gets back. Hopefully he brushes up on his sports knowledge while away to help him replace rambling on about food and bad music, among other non-sports crap.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #414
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay I've had enough. I get that some people don' like Rome but at least he has some solid interviews with top athletes, coaches, etc. This noon segment of 960 that's all Blue Jays is coma inducing. My goodness I like the Jays but it's an hour small talk in circles over and over for an entire hour with very little in the way of entertainment or information. I can't wait for the NHL to start up again if only to get this awful lunch segment off the air.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:44 PM   #415
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Almost anything would be better. I find The Jungle terribly unfunny, I dont care about 95% of the topics, clones phone in and sing on air, and yet somehow its 1000x better than Baseball Central.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #416
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm a big fan of the morning show. My only complaint was that there seemed to be a ton of commercials. Now I just listen to the podcast and life is good. Wish they didn't do the pinder report every hour though, gets annoying if you listen to all three hours via podcast
Old 09-01-2016, 07:13 AM   #417
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I started listening again over the summer as things were switched up with people on holidays. I lasted until today. Back to 770am. I dont listen to radio much but theres some gaps in the morning where I like to listen to local stuff. Local sports radio is great but the 960 guys talk so little about sports. This week has been a disaster for them.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #418
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty entertaining today on the morning show when they were talking about how people were ripping off the companies they work for. Some of them were pretty good.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:28 PM   #419
droopydrew19
Safari Stan

Exp:

Seems like the Flames insider segment with Derek Wills has been moved from 805 to the 9am hour.

I wonder if Boomer and Rhett got sick of all Wills' "what do you guys think" throwbacks on their questions.

I Miss Pete.
droopydrew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to droopydrew19 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #420
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is a way better time for Wills. Pinder can use someone to talk too and there is usually enough going on that they don't need to fill the time at 8.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote