Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #61
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Sandals Royal Hicacos is a good choice. http://www.sandalshicacos.com/ as is Paradisus Princessa del Mar. http://www.paradisuscuba.com/varader...princesadelmar
The Sandals resort is a great time and the food was ok. They also had a pretty sweet cigar store at the resort.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:23 AM   #62
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to Blau Varadero this year and it is a nice place as well. Recommend checking this site out as well.

If you go to Varadero make sure to get into Varadero town one evening and go to the Beatles Bar at least one night. It is simply awesome. Take a 1950s convertible back and forth from your resort. "They only play one Beatles tune, the rest is rock from every decade."
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...ince_Cuba.html

Last edited by Cheese; 11-25-2014 at 01:28 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #63
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

If you go to Varadero make sure you at least take a trip into Havana. The outdoor cabaret, the amazing history of that city, the people... I understand the appeal of all inclusive's but the real Cuba is much more fun, more interesting, and you can always enjoy beach life too..

Old 11-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #64
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont know if I posted a 'recap' per se, but my Cuban vacation from a few years ago has been one of my favourite vacations to date, on par with my honeymoon to Tahiti.

If you want to go to Cuba just do it, it was fantastic.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #65
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

After you tour Havana and the fortress try out this place if you get a chance :
http://www.visitcuba.com/2012/10/hostal-el-canonazo/ As for beaches I would say Santa Maria has Varadero beat.
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 11:59 AM   #66
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Thought I'd give this an update Bump.

Heading to Memories Varadero in 25 days. Do they still like to be tipped with toiletries and stuff. Reading conflicting reports on it. Some say they do. Some say everyone does it and the maids have quite a stockpile.

Airport still the best place to get money?

Any great hookups for rum and cigars or still the same?

I was last there in 2003, so its been a while. Taking our kids (11 and 8 both girls)... anything they should see? Havana is a for sure... but anything else?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #67
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Heading to Memories Varadero in 25 days. Do they still like to be tipped with toiletries and stuff. Reading conflicting reports on it. Some say they do. Some say everyone does it and the maids have quite a stockpile.
I have never been to Cuba, but hard capital, USD, is always good.

When in Mexico I tip in USD, and always get great service.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #68
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I havent been in a while so my information would be outdated, but they appreciated it when I went.

I do know that everywhere I went people were consistently trying to buy my sunglasses for a laughable fraction of what I paid for them, so maybe if you have any spare sunglasses lying around they'd appreciate those?

And do not, DO NOT, forget about the Exit Tax. I cant tell you how big a pain in the ass that was because nobody had any money left and they had to try and pay through debit or credit through a PoS machine that was presumably operated by a hand crank or perhaps a hamster wheel.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #69
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were next door at Oceans Varadero. One of the grounds keepers there is a huuuuge Habs fan. We brought a bunch of kids stuff like crayons and colouring books, but I heard stuff like toothpaste is still hard for them to get. Try a quick Google on that one...

Let us know how it is when you get back, I thought the hurricanes hit the area pretty hard.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #70
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I was last there in 2003, so its been a while. Taking our kids (11 and 8 both girls)... anything they should see? Havana is a for sure... but anything else?
Cash is king. I tend to think toiletries and such are totally separate from tipping. More of a kind gesture.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #71
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes bring toiletries, pens and pencils that sort of stuff. We go to the dollar store and buy a bunch of things.
Youll find your cigar connection via the guys serving liquor.
Yes the airport is still best place to exchange the cash, resorts add a % and there is no control on that.
Rum is cheap everywhere...there is no problem finding it. Go into town and get it there or at the resort.
Take a convertible ride into Varadero or back from Varadero. Awesome.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #72
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I have never been to Cuba, but hard capital, USD, is always good.

When in Mexico I tip in USD, and always get great service.
I was in Havana in March, they were exchanging the USD lower than CAD. So keep that in mind.

Oh and yes, definitely do your exchange at the airport. Saw some long lines for the couple of exchange places in central Havana.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 01:01 PM   #73
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rent Mopeds and tour around the resort area and Varadero. Stopping around at sites and bars and such.

Was the most fun I had there the last time I was there.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #74
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Thanks for the tips! Looking forward to it. Excited to sit on the beach.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 03:18 PM   #75
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping this thread, as a group of 8 of us are heading to Varadero over the weekend! Last time I was there was about 10 years ago, so will be interesting to see how it has "changed", if at all.

I have been re-reading this thread and taking notes. Wife's first time going to the Caribbean, so she's super stoked. If anyone has been recently and has some good advice, that would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-10-2023 at 03:21 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 03:23 PM   #76
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Bumping this thread, as a group of 8 of us are heading to Varadero over the weekend! Last time I was there was about 10 years ago, so will be interesting to see how it has "changed", if at all.

I have been re-reading this thread and taking notes. Wife's first time going to the Caribbean, so she's super stoked. If anyone has been recently and has some good advice, that would be greatly appreciated!
Well...theres going to be lots of Russians. Always lots of Russians.

Old 01-10-2023, 03:27 PM   #77
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I was there last Christmas and I'll tell you the biggest change.

Currency.

They do now accept USD and CDN as well as Cuban Peso. The biggest issue we found is that essentially everyone is a currency exchange.

Cubans need certain currencies to buy certain things in certain places, so if they're at a point where they're flush with one they'll give you a great rate to exchange to another, so you're often not changing currencies with the front desk or a currency exchange.

Dont bring anything bigger than a $20 in either CDN or USD. Small bills are your friend.

Dont exchange a whole ton in any particular currency, bring small bills and change them more often, never hold more than $75-$100 in any given currency.

Beyond changing money I found it to be very similar to the last time I went, and I love Cuba, I've been a few times and I'd go back there again in a heartbeat.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2023, 07:23 AM   #78
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for that. My parents came back from Cuba recently and said the whole currency situation was kind of confusing when you first get there but makes sense after a while.

Looking forward to it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2023, 11:01 AM   #79
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for that. My parents came back from Cuba recently and said the whole currency situation was kind of confusing when you first get there but makes sense after a while.

Looking forward to it!
Honestly, it does work out just fine once you get the hang of it, the little piece of advice that is really important that I'd glean out of that, is: "Small Bills."

Nothing over $20 in either USD or CDN.

You bring anything bigger and you're either going to get hosed because nobody is really setup to convert that much or nobody will touch it.

Enjoy the trip! I love Cuba! And....ya know...if you're not going to use all of your Alcohol Import Allowance...let me know...there is a rum down there that I love.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 07:26 AM   #80
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Small bills FTW. How is the sim card situation? Is it easy to get, or worthwhile? Last time I went I didn't bother. But I am thinking this time with my group much larger and we'll be venturing out more, I am thinking it's worthwhile to get one.