Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 03-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #121
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also gives an indication of Cammy's value. Hopefully he'll be motivated to finish strong.
Buck Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #122
hummdeedoo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
Not really. It pays off in future years. GMs are less likely to call his bluff or try to lowball him now.
Yeah - was thinking the same thing after I posted. Curious to hear how he spins it.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #123
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Will be interesting to hear what Burke says. Must have been a very weak market for him .

Hate to see him walk for nothing. Do the Flames try to sign him for a one year deal, Cammalleri hopefully has a much better year and then trade him next deadline..?
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #124
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

To the posters in this thread who are currently taking the view, better a trade for even a 3rd/5th than no trade today, or just take the best available, you lack perspective and more importantly lack the wherewithal to negotiate in a manner to properly help yourselves in the medium term, and your actions will destroy your returns in the long term. Burke holding out was probably the right decision unless there was an offer that was better than the market was suggesting today.

One poster has suggested taking what the Oilers got for Hemsky, because it is better than nothing. That may be a Feaster move, but I think even Feaster would value his reputation better than to trade Camalleri for what the Oilers got for Hemsky.

The Flames are in no need to trade Camalleri today for middling picks. Making a trade just to do so would be an awful decision.

Negotiating is a longer term endeavour when you're in professional sports, not just a "get what I can today" thing.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #125
Serapth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
So his play dropped off to the point that he's useless here but yet his play was still good enough to get a good return?

If Vanek got a 2nd Cammy wasn't getting anywhere near that. Hell for a rental player based on this years plays I reckon even Hemsky has more value moving forward. Cammy for a 4th is a trade I'm glad Burke didn't make.
To say nothing of the fact EDM is still eating half Hemsky's salary. So they basically just bought a pick for a million bucks. In that light, the deal isn't all that great.
Serapth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #126
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
I'm certainly not a card carrying member of the Feaster Fan Club, but this is pretty weak. A 3rd and a 5th isn't as much as most people thought Cammellari would return, but risking losing him for nothing? Yikes. And who knows, extra picks can be used down the toad to move up in the draft... perhaps to jump the Oilers and snag Ekblad.
I get your point, but how do you know that was even offered? Cammalleri has a big price tag that a lot of teams can't fit under their cap.

Honestly, if the "risk" of waiting was to lose out on a 3rd or 4th round pick, then fine I get it. Sure it would be better then nothing... but I get it. We'll see how this plays out, if Cammalleri is brought back and Hudler moved out for a 2015 1st (example)..... then there is a different dynamic here.

Also, remember for that deal to work, the Flames have to eat salary. Is a 4th round pick going to be worth that?

Last edited by Phanuthier; 03-05-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Phanuthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #127
Gamos
Lifetime Suspension

LoL...love the double talk on CP. Classic as always.

"BOO HOO Feaster made bad trades for Jaybo and Iggy."

vs

"Oh well. Good effort Burkie. You got nothing for Cammy, but I guess the market wasn't there"

My personal favourite is the people saying people will be less likely to lowball burke in future - even though he's clearly stated he won't be a GM in calgary past the season. So...that works out great for the Flames.

Don't ever change CP. Don't ever change.
Gamos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gamos For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #128
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a waste of an opportunity for the Flames. Cammy should be dealt. He is not going to resign and even if he does the number his agent is seeking will be absurd. Cammy may think he is a 6m player but he is far from it. More like 2m off jmo. To say I am pissed off would be vastly under stated that the Flames will get zip or resign him.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #129
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on the other trades, we might have gotten a 2nd for Cammy.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #130
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
Thanks tips. The risk is that it's not done and Cammellari might just wait until the UFA market opens and the Flames get nothing.

Snow didn't get a good return for Vanek, but he got something.
He paid a top 10 pick/Moulson/and a 2nd for him a couple months back

Got a 2nd and prospect back, shrewd move
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #131
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamos View Post
LoL...love the double talk on CP. Classic as always.

"BOO HOO Feaster made bad trades for Jaybo and Iggy."

vs

"Oh well. Good effort Burkie. You got nothing for Cammy, but I guess the market wasn't there"

My personal favourite is the people saying people will be less likely to lowball burke in future - even though he's clearly stated he won't be a GM in calgary past the season. So...that works out great for the Flames.

Don't ever change CP. Don't ever change.
The majority of posts I see are people upset at Burke, your entire post is garbage.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #132
Phaneuf
SCORING WINGER

Exp:

Garth Snow single handedly ruined the market for sellers. Sold low on MacDonald affecting the defense market, sold low on Vanek thus killing the forward market.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #133
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is more value in not being pressured into trading an asset for well less than it is is worth than the marginal return we would have returned. Keeps us from getting pressured the next time.

People are disappointed we didn't get the 1st rounder we are all hoping for. Most will wake up tomorrow and realize missing out on the late second or third rounder wasn't a big deal.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #134
theTrumanShow
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It has become pretty apparent that Burke misplaced his cards here....
theTrumanShow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theTrumanShow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #135
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemanja2306 View Post
Whatever are we going to do without a 3rd and 5th round pick we could have gotten... it's going to ruin this franchise.
Not having them won't ruin the franchise, but the more picks you have, the more chances some of them will turn out. Hell, some of our best petter prospects are from that range.

Jon Gillies - 3rd Rounder
Gaudreau - 4th Rounder
T.J Brodie - 4th Rounder
Michael Ferland - 5th Rounder
Bill Arnold - 4th Rounder

Who are we to say no to more assets?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #136
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
And there was an abnormally high supply of talented forwards available for trade.
I don't know about that. I don't consider Vanek, Moulson, or Cammalleri abnormally high supply. Maybe Feaster was a victim in the beginning of a trend last year with lower than expected returns for quality players at the deadline as it appears thing progressed to the point where a 1st wasn't traded for a rental player for the first time I can remember.

Edit: Miller trade netted a 1st.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #137
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
No kidding. Some of the crying in this thread is hilarious. After seeing what Vanek and Moulson got, oh well. Lets not forget in the Hemsky and Gaborik deal, they had to eat salary..... is a 3rd round pick worth a million bucks? I don't know..... if the Feaster-fan-club are crying that Feaster would have at least got something, where is the outrage for the lost 6th round pick for Lane MacDermid?
The Burke fan club is hilarious. Let us review the two deadlines for UFA's.

Feaster

Comeau for a 5th rounder
Iginla for a 1st and two prospects

Nothing for Cervenka, Begin, Carson or Babchuk

Burke

Berra for a draft pick

Nothing for Cammalleri, Stempniak, Westgarth or Butler.

Clearly Burke is a better GM.... Feaster got more for Comeau than Burke got for Cammalleri. That is just awful.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #138
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Horrible asset management by the Flames.

1. Sutter trades a first round pick for Cammy only to let him become a free agent after one year.

2. Feaster then gives up assets to get him back. Basically trading Bourque and a high 2nd rounder for Ramo.

3. Burke possibly loses him for nothing.

Once again, I am very disappointed with the Flames today.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #139
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re-sign him for 1 year $10M
Frequitude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #140
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on the returns this year, thank God Feaster and the Flames moved Bouwmeester last year!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: