Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #4141
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well hold on a sec here....

"it was a waste of years in your NHL career, where it’s just you never get those back."

While hes not wrong on that account, he also made way, way more money slumming it in Edmonton than he ever would have anywhere else.

He won his Cup in Boston and then cashed in and cashed in hard on Katz's dime.

He may been a 4-5 defenceman but he was making 2-3 money that was not on anyone else's table.

Its hard to listen to someone complain about winning the Cup and then phoning in the end of their career on the back on some very generous paycheques.

Edmonton is No Good but sorry Andy, if you wanted Job Satisfaction more than money then thats all you had to do. Take a lot less money to play for a much better team.

But I doubt when that contract offer was on the table his altruism-alarm was screaming that he didnt deserve that much money and that he should take less to fit into the cap of a good team.

And then theres the fact that he was a 4-5 Dman on Edmonton. The worst team in the League. He could take less money but he'd have been risking AHL or pressbox time.

I always liked Ference until he became a cheap-shotting Oiler. He very literally got his cake and got to eat it too at the expense of the Oilers, the only drawback was having to live in Dumpmonton and having to haul that horrid Oil-drop over his head on an almost nightly basis.

But he could wipe his tears with money.
The last time Ference took less money to help out his team the team returned the loyalty by trading him to the Bruins for Brad Stuart. Hard to blame him if he does not really trust a team to do right by him.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #4142
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
So Gord Miller might be saying that the broadcast booth in Edmonton is....

No Good?
The Following User Says Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 10:32 PM   #4143
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
The last time Ference took less money to help out his team the team returned the loyalty by trading him to the Bruins for Brad Stuart. Hard to blame him if he does not really trust a team to do right by him.
Yeah. I'm pretty sure winning the Cup would take a little of the sting out of that.

Furthermore, thats all well and good. He took care of himself. You cant then turn around and lament that by acting strictly in his own personal best interest he wound up on the worst team in the League, named Captain before even having set foot in the City despite not only not being their best player but barely even making their roster.

These were all fairly evident circumstances, but he took the money and went anyways.

And finally, I never said he shouldnt have taken care of himself. You cant just 'look out for #1 and damn the consequences' and then complain about the consequences.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 07:18 AM   #4144
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommodoreAfro View Post
I'll just leave this here. Guess who leads the league in playing a tired team while rested? No good.

Hey didn't you know the league bends backwards for the Flames?
Old 12-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #4145
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah but how many games do they have to play against rested teams when McDavid has a sore throat?

it's a conspiracy, I'm telling you.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:59 AM   #4146
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah. I'm pretty sure winning the Cup would take a little of the sting out of that.

Furthermore, thats all well and good. He took care of himself. You cant then turn around and lament that by acting strictly in his own personal best interest he wound up on the worst team in the League, named Captain before even having set foot in the City despite not only not being their best player but barely even making their roster.

These were all fairly evident circumstances, but he took the money and went anyways.

And finally, I never said he shouldnt have taken care of himself. You cant just 'look out for #1 and damn the consequences' and then complain about the consequences.
When Ference signed for his home town team, he probably saw some a team with some holes, but with some good young players. He had the idea that he could help the team learn what it meant to be a professional on and off the ice.

What he discovered was the good young players had no interest in being professional and there was no accountability for their on and off ice behaviour. It was a total loser situation and there was no way out.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #4147
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's interesting to look at each team's split between favourable vs. unfavourable match-ups on the back-to-backs...
  • EDM = +10
  • NYR = +8
  • ARI = +7
  • LAK, ANA, CGY, NSH = +2
  • MIN, WSH, VGK, BOS, NYI, WPG = +1
  • MTL = 0
  • PHI, FLA, DET, CHI, TOR, TBL, PIT = -1
  • CAR, CBJ, SJS, STL = -2
  • BUF, OTT, DAL, COL = -3
  • NJD = -4
  • VAN = -8

22 of 31 teams between a +2 and a -2 difference. Only 4 teams with a split that's greater than 5 one way or the other.

Not only that, but one of Edmonton's "tired" games is a home back-to-back in January, so they don't even need to travel between games (another is a LA-Anaheim back-to-back, so again, no real travel between games).
Old 12-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #4148
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It's interesting to look at each team's split between favourable vs. unfavourable match-ups on the back-to-backs...
  • EDM = +10
  • NYR = +8
  • ARI = +7
  • MTL = 0
  • NJD = -4
  • VAN = -8

22 of 31 teams between a +2 and a -2 difference. Only 4 teams with a split that's greater than 5 one way or the other.

Not only that, but one of Edmonton's "tired" games is a home back-to-back in January, so they don't even need to travel between games (another is a LA-Anaheim back-to-back, so again, no real travel between games).
In 2016-2017 teams on average earned -0.04 points when playing on 0 nights of rest then when they played on 1 night of rest. It has been higher in the years before that but it has trended down, which I imagine is due to better training and sleep habits and what not of current players.

Its really not that big of an advantage as people make it out to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #4149
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

And yet if Edmonton was in Vancouvers spot everyone in Edmonton and all their baby media would be screaming to high heaven how unfair it was.

Just like how they whine and cry now that a penalty isnt called against whoever is defending McPansy every time he is on the ice and he doesn't score because how they possibly stop him if they weren't cheating.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #4150
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

First overall picks aren't really as big of an advantage as people make them out to be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #4151
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
In 2016-2017 teams on average earned -0.04 points when playing on 0 nights of rest then when they played on 1 night of rest. It has been higher in the years before that but it has trended down, which I imagine is due to better training and sleep habits and what not of current players.

A greaser would make that comment. If the situation were flipped and Edmonton were in Vancouver's spot, I'm sure your tune on playing tired would be a little different. These players are human, not machines, and the game is rather rigorous, so whether big or small it is a factor.

Perhaps it's not always a huge factor if the travel is limited and there is a gap heading into the BTB, but when you get into 3rd in 4 nights territory it obviously does factor in.

You can't watch that game and tell me Calgary had anywhere near a full tank going in.

Probably a good handful that they catch on BTBs are probably also finishing a 3 in 4 swing as teams tend to complete the Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton circuit in a few days.

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-11-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #4152
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommodoreAfro View Post
I'll just leave this here. Guess who leads the league in playing a tired team while rested? No good.

Is this chart somewhat consistent year in year out? Like does Edmonton get a favourable schedule EVERY year or perhaps next year their schedule will look like Vancouvers to even things out possibly?

Does anyone have this same chart from previous years? Thanks in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #4153
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
  • EDM = +10
  • NYR = +8
  • ARI = +7
  • MTL = 0
  • NJD = -4
  • VAN = -8

If this is an annually consistent thing, Ken King should be fired for this fact alone. Giving away free points to the competition every year, because they are not flexible enough in setting dates.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #4154
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Is this chart somewhat consistent year in year out? Like does Edmonton get a favourable schedule EVERY year or perhaps next year their schedule will look like Vancouvers to even things out possibly?

Does anyone have this same chart from previous years? Thanks in advance.
2017-2018
Spoiler!

I thought I had 2016-2017, but seem to have deleted it. I do recall Oilers had the cupcake schedule again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 09:46 AM   #4155
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

The one I would be curious about is the record of teams playing their 3rd game in 4 nights.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #4156
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Three of the last four seasons (including this year), the Oilers have led the league in the rested/tired differential.

Spoiler!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #4157
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
  • EDM = +10
  • NYR = +8
  • ARI = +7
  • MTL = 0
  • NJD = -4
  • VAN = -8

I expect the Seattle team should be of great schedule benefit to the Canucks as they will split a lot of back to backs like the Oilers and Flames.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #4158
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is puzzling why he stood up for Eakins in that interview. Ok, maybe his systems and one-on-one coaching sessions MAY have been underrated or something, but to have guys partying every night AND not going hard in practice? Anyone think Darryl Sutter would put up with it? Or Bill Peters right now? Or Bob Hartley? Ok, maybe these are more demanding coaches, but I don't think I would see that from guys like Mike Babcock, Quenneville, Trotz.. heck Green in Vancouver probably wouldn't stand for it.

Being a good coach in the NHL is not just about your X's and O's. It is about managing the players and making sure that the team is professional on and off the ice. I don't think that Hitchcock would be putting up with any of those shenanigans either. Maybe that is why the Oilers have been better since they hired him?

The Hall and Eberle trades make a lot more sense now after that interview. Also, I do remember that there were 'cliques' on that Edmonton squad that Ference was on. I remember he was on one clique with some other vets and Yakupov, while Hall, Eberle and I forgot whom else was on the other. At any rate, the Edmonton Oilers didn't put a stop to it and I bet that is one of the mitigating factors as to why they have such trouble developing players there. Remember when Hartley came down on Monahan and Gaudreau (and Bouma) the day after the 'Superbowl Incident'? That's what professional teams do - force their players to be professionals. Sure, go party - but don't you even think about breaking a team rule or showing up to practice late and/or not giving a full effort.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #4159
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ference
Your voice only goes so far with people that only respect how good your toe drag is and whether or not you’re out partying
LOL, this is hilarious.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #4160
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Three of the last four seasons (including this year), the Oilers have led the league in the rested/tired differential.

Spoiler!
Three out of the last four seasons seems like more than a schedule anomaly. Does the NHL want to get McDavid into the playoffs for TV viewership? Surely they league should be able to schedule better than this.
Closed Thread