Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2020, 06:41 PM   #41
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Wow check out this picture from the article of some unreleased jersey concepts:

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #42
P-Rugby
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Wow check out this picture from the article of some unreleased jersey concepts:

That's a lot of flags
Old 01-17-2020, 06:50 PM   #43
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I always liked Blasty.

It would be cool if they had a flaming horse run around the rink every time the Flames score.
Do you have any idea how much horses cost? Not to mention horseshoes with cleats!
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:52 PM   #44
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Rugby View Post
That's a lot of flags
But that shoudler patch past all the Alberta flags, that was used for the cowboy jerseys is brilliant. Ol' Blasty can go blast itself, that patch is the legit beauty.

From the article

Quote:
I know the Western jersey, that third jersey, in the end was probably a bit of a compromise in terms of what our total concept look was,
That was obvious, it was terrible because of it.

Last edited by Rando; 01-17-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #45
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The one that stands out to me is the all-black shoulder near the back. Looks like it has an all-black version of the shoulder patch from the 2013-16 alternate.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #46
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

As surely as the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, the Flames organization will find a way to screw this up. They will snatch sudden defeat from the jaws of certain victory. It is what they do.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:23 PM   #47
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Is that a blue flag on a retro in the front? Dodged that bullet.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 07:45 PM   #48
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Is that a blue flag on a retro in the front? Dodged that bullet.
I could be looking at it wrong, but it looks like the retro red collar is third from the back with the black sleeves. And if that's the case I'd really love to see what that jersey was.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:44 PM   #49
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I always have this sense with the flames and picked up on it again in the article - though might be off base - that the senior leadership micromanages everything even when it is well outside their realm of expertise.

To me a good leader trusts their experts on a subject to manage the process and bring 2 or 3 finished solutions to mgmt with what they see as pros and cons and the senior leaders choose. You dont have a vp of hockey ops telling your design and marketing people that they want extra piping added during the design process and expect anything less than a Frankenstein.

Like I said maybe off base/unfair but perception for me stems from the rumors years ago that Ken King was trying to get involved on/influence hockey trades.

And there is no way those flags are still on the jerseys for any other reason than someone senior loves them... everybody seems to hate them.

As for blasty, I could take him or leave him. Have a blasty jersey or two but it was never my favourite. I'd like to see the retros full time and a brand new third
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 09:17 PM   #50
bigpete
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I know some of you jest about Scorch, but if someone designed and made a Scorch jersey, I would legit buy it and then wear it with pride.

I'm thinking like a red retro jersey with a big picture of Scorch on the front instead of the Flaming C. But Flaming C patches on the shoulders. And a "Scorch" name bar on the back with a number 1. I'm not talented enough to design it but I would love to see someone else try.
bigpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:09 PM   #51
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Popowich also had this to say on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/DownWithPopo/sta...77729428066304

Q: "The current Flames jerseys have faced some criticism regarding the use of the flags on the shoulder. When switching to Adidas, was there any discussion about removing/replacing them? What was the decision behind keep them?"

A: "Yes there was. But the flags on the shoulders have their own history and story on how they came to be on the jerseys. It involved a lot of hard work to get them on there. We weren’t ready to let them go just yet..."
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:26 PM   #52
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

Q: "The current Flames jerseys have faced some criticism regarding the use of the flags on the shoulder. When switching to Adidas, was there any discussion about removing/replacing them? What was the decision behind keep them?"

A: "Yes there was. But the flags on the shoulders have their own history and story on how they came to be on the jerseys. It involved a lot of hard work to get them on there. We weren’t ready to let them go just yet..."
Sunk cost fallacy.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 10:27 PM   #53
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

It's honestly astonishing just how much better the home/away set would be with this logo on the shoulder instead of the flags:

A jersey with that shoulder patch would be one I would buy. As it stands... nah, the blue just doesn't work at all.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 10:50 PM   #54
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Hate to break it to you guy, but the hard work wasn't worth it. Be honest with yourself, they're an eyesore.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 01:27 AM   #55
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
My ideal lineup is

Home: New Red with black flaming C

Away: Retro white (no changes to heritage classic version other than the removal of the heritage classic patch)
The Road retros are awesome. Home retros not so much, the black C looks so much better.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:13 AM   #56
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
It's honestly astonishing just how much better the home/away set would be with this logo on the shoulder instead of the flags:

A jersey with that shoulder patch would be one I would buy. As it stands... nah, the blue just doesn't work at all.
Agreed. I’m not buying a jersey with flags on it. I doesn’t appeal, I’d take blasty over them but this logo is better. Hell, I’d take the Calgary Cowboys hat logo over the flags or blasty if they want something really retro.

I also think something showing off the Peace Bridge would be awesome. It would trigger so many people. Or an outline skyline with the Saddledome in it for posterity.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:37 AM   #57
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

No more patches. While i think the retro jerseys are the best we have to date , I find it hard to believe they can't come up with a slighlty updated version of the retro's. Granted the marketing team that designs/ picks the jerseys for the last couple of decades, must have gone to the Zellers design school of fashion. It's almost like they sit in a room and go" we have the best logo in the NHL and we are stumped what to do with it".
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #58
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Hate to break it to you guy, but the hard work wasn't worth it. Be honest with yourself, they're an eyesore.
Yup... let it go guys. You should've let it go years ago.

Nice that you put all that work into getting approval, but in the end it failed and someone should've recognized that and been done with it.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 10:14 AM   #59
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Must be nice to have ownership that listens. Flames will be full retro soon, and I don't see that happening for the Jets for a long time. Despite the fans clamoring for it.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #60
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I asked him on twitter why they basically stuck with the Reebok Edge redesign for 13-14 years when some teams refused the change, and those that made the change moved away from it quickly.

Remember the Oilers jerseys under the edge program?

So essentially I'm not blaming them. In fact I'm guessing they were on it and made the changes they were instructed to make only to be flabbergasted that other teams just rebelled (original six) and left them deep into a redesign they likely didn't want. (this is all guess work of course).

But then why stick with them?

The red ones at home are bad, but have some qualities ... but the white ones are almost embarrassing to me.

He basically said they didn't want to go away from something that worked, while admitting the appeal wasn't universal. Can't imagine more than 20% of fans liking the Reebook redesign.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good , ken king please read , ol' blasty , pyjamas