Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2019, 06:45 PM   #21
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm not surprised. Pierre always gave off a weird vibe.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #22
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

He’s just so awkward and cringey.
He comes off way creepier when interviewing players he clearly has a man crush for.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:14 PM   #23
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

His continual self-aggrandisement was annoying. He always had to be the smartest guy in the room.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 07:21 PM   #24
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
chummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #25
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Well no, because most people wouldn't feel the need to tell Olympic gold medalist hockey players which team was which if they were men...

Although it's Pierre, so who knows.

Maybe he meant it like a light jab that she was a rookie to announcing and it had nothing to do with the fact she is a woman. People can read between the lines how they want I guess. What's annoying (not pointing at you FYI) is that SJW tell people how they should feel or be offended now a days. If she didnt take it that way then why do people on the outside feel the need to interject their personal interpretation.

That is what annoys me about the SJW movement. Its actually patronizing that they jump in and take the words right of minorities mouths. Example: If I as a half black person didnt find something racist do I need a white SJW telling me what I should be offended about? Anyways thats my rant.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 08:15 PM   #26
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

it also could be the target audience. found more than a few regional US broadcasts seem to 'talk down' to the audience, but in some regions, that's actually 'explaining whats going on'
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:51 PM   #27
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It’s because he pointed to each end of the rink for the teams. Apparently people thought that was mansplaining and that he thought she was a dumb woman who didn’t know which teams were playing.

Edit: oh crap, are you a woman? If so, I apologize for mansplaining that video. My deepest apologies.

I don't find that offensive
Old 09-04-2019, 09:20 PM   #28
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
His continual self-aggrandisement was annoying. He always had to be the smartest guy in the room.
Perfectly put.

Throwing out terms like gap control and elite hockey IQ, moreso on NBC then ever on TSN because he figures his audience would appreciate the big words more in the US, name dropping random people from places like the US development camp etc to make him sound connected at all levels of the game.

He would then get super excited at small things, itching to tell people why and how he saw something so fantastic that other people didn't understand, and then, for big moments or plays, tried so hard to act calm and cool, because he had to be the guy that has seen it all before and Hai analysis wasn't swayed by the "normal" fans excitement.

Didn't like him with TSN and his pulpit and flair for sounding snobbish and melodramatic, glad I didn't have to watch or listen to him much these last years.

Last edited by browna; 09-04-2019 at 09:24 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 11:00 PM   #29
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh thank sweet baby Jesus this blow hard finally is being demoted. I could never understand how someone so grating could stay on the air so long. He must have a lot of NHL connections.Hopefully this is the first step towards no contract renewal and irrelevance.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:12 PM   #30
TheRealPepman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Will this mean less Pierre on the Eastern Conference games and more of him on the West with Chris Cuthbert or whoever? I think so.
TheRealPepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:02 AM   #31
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Is Doc Emrick on the main broadcast?

He’s the worst
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 02:53 AM   #32
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Now he'll have more time to hangout with Phaneuf considering he likes his company so much.

** Edit.**

Just looked up the worst of Pierre Mcguire. There is some truly awe ful broadcasting there.

Last edited by gt4flames; 09-05-2019 at 03:01 AM.
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #33
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Was he demoted to make room for Boucher, or was it because he wasn't turtley enough for the turtle club?

Old 09-05-2019, 11:20 AM   #34
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Double dion!!!!!!
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #35
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Is Doc Emrick on the main broadcast?

He’s the worst
Waffleboarded
Old 09-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #36
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

TBQH, I always thought that 'mansplaining' incident was ridiculous. With absolutely no context of "something Pierre did here was wrong" I thought Pierre was pointing for the people at home... as he does all the time. If anything, his comment about "we're paying you to report not be a fan" or whatever was the most Pierre of the whole thing. But no matter your feelings towards Pierre, I strongly doubt him purposely disrespecting someone - a hockey player, mind you - would be fitting of how you view him. This guy is so nice and so involved and so passionate it rubs people the wrong way. Hardly a guy disrespecting an Olympian.

That being said, I never thought he was the guy you should be giving an open mic to. I am impressed with his hockey knowledge, but every game he's on the mic feels like watching it with your annoying Encyclopedia friend.

"Here comes Faulk. Faulk was very productive in his year at University of Minnesota-Duluth. I met the coach at Boston College 2 years and 4 months back and he was talking about how Faulk tied his ska--"
"SHUT UP PIERRE!"
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #37
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess commie wasn't a fan

Quote:
Mike Commodore @commie22· 17h

Good Riddance #S***Stain
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #38
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they need someone more palatable they should replace him with Charlie Simmer.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #39
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loath PM, but I didn't see his comments as offensive at all. I assumed the reference to each end was for the benefit of viewers. And the "you're an analyst tonight, not a fan" comment was just promotional filler.

There are enough actual things to be offended about without having to make them up out of nothing.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #40
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Surely we can see that a handful of men saying it wasn’t offensive is probably irrelevant, right?

I mean, Pierre is a dummy. He treated a top-level hockey player like a child. Would he have done it if she wasn’t female, and say, a male NHL player? You know what, yes, probably, because he’s a weirdo. But surely we can agree as men that we’re not great judges at what is/isn’t offensive to a woman. Even Kendall said she would have been upset if she had watched it happen to someone else. But it’s all good.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good