Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #81
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
What's everyone's prefered method of cooking up a steak? I've got a New York waiting for me in the Fridge when I get home. I played around with lots of methods last year and really can't remember which was best and what timings worked out the best, how high to put the heat etc. I like em nice and medium rare.
Similar to kermitology, I sear the living hell out of it for about 1-2 min per side and then I put the meat up on the top rack and let the general heat within the BBQ do the rest (about 10 more min). I then go with touch to gauge doneness. If pushing on it feels about as tender as the palm of my hand it's damn near there.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #82
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
Take the steak out before you preheat the grill to let them warm up a bit and sprinkle some Montreal steak spice on it. I like to rub just a bit olive oil on the steak, it helps sear and it will help the steak release from the grill but the flames will flare up a bit from the oil.

A very hot grill, 2 min, flip, another 2 min, flip 2 more min flip and turn the heat off and let it rest while you get everything ready, steaks should be last on the plate.

The steaks should still be soft to the touch if not get them off the grill.
There are 2 schools of thought about steak flipping:
1. Only Flip once
2. Flip and turn (criss cross marks)

I'm more with only flipping a steak once if I can help it. Especially with high heat initially, the meat is seared and a crust will form. Crusting doesn't form well imo if the steak is flipped too often

EDIT: Similar to Russic
Old 04-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #83
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well if you only flip once, that's 4 minutes per side, in 4 minutes I guarantee the juices will come right up and out of the top side, the reason to flip 2 times is to flip it over and get the juices going back the other way.

I don't want a crust on my steak.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pinner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #84
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Quote:
Well if you only flip once, that's 4 minutes per side, in 4 minutes I guarantee the juices will come right up and out of the top side, the reason to flip 2 times is to flip it over and get the juices going back the other way.

I don't want a crust on my steak.
I guess it really depends on your grill. I know with mine all i need is two minutes per side, take it off, cover with foil and let sit for 5-7 minutes. That gets it too a nice rare/medium rare.
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #85
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Need to get a new BBQ, any deals? suggestions?
I'll likely have my vermont castings grill up for sale in a few weeks once a new one comes in.
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #86
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgflamesfan View Post
I guess it really depends on your grill. I know with mine all i need is two minutes per side, take it off, cover with foil and let sit for 5-7 minutes. That gets it too a nice rare/medium rare.
4 minutes eh, must be some skinny ass steaks. If my grill was any hotter the steaks would just burst into flames and turn to ash.

Those thin cut round steaks do cook quickly Buy some good steaks big spender.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #87
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

I don't think i've ever eaten a round steak cooked on the grill. I prefer bone-in rib steaks.

I will say that I do make a hell of a Carne Asada (complete with home made tortillas, salsa, and relish) that uses round steak.
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #88
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Anyone ever BBQ'd a pineapple? Just curious, I've never done it, but those Bolero pineapples are crazy good.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #89
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Anyone ever BBQ'd a pineapple? Just curious, I've never done it, but those Bolero pineapples are crazy good.
make a caramel vanilla rum sauce. Marinade a whole peeled pineapple in the sauce, then grill (use rotisserie if you have one), basting with leftover sauce several times. Grill on medium high for 20 minutes or until nicely caramelized with grill marks

you can do the same with pineapple wedges or slices

Last edited by Canada 02; 04-21-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #90
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

mmmmmm boozy pineapple. All over it.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #91
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I grilled some salmon steaks tonight.. medium heat, 5 minutes per side. Quite tasty!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #92
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I like to rub just a bit olive oil on the steak, it helps sear and it will help the steak release from the grill but the flames will flare up a bit from the oil.
If you want to keep the flames down you can season your grill with oil before hand or use a spray bottle with oil in it and spray it down prior to the steaks hitting the grill. The flames will flare initially, but the area will be greased when you put the steaks down and they won't stick either.

If you don't have the bottle, (like me) oil the steak but take some paper towel to the steak to absorb the excess oil so it's greased but not dripping, it's just the oil and fat that drips down to the coals / flames that causes the flareups.

that's worked for me anyways.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #93
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2061299_season-gas-grill.html

worth looking at before you start grilling this year. makes a world of difference if you've had issues with steaks / chicken sticking to your grill in the past.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #94
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Use vegitable oil instead of olive oil. Olive oil has a much lower burn temp. You won't get flare ups as bad when searing.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #95
gordo67
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Made stuffed burgers the other day and they turned out awesome. Have made them a few times, but this time I used indirect heat. I also use a Bradley smoker quite a bit, the stuff cooked in tehre is also incredible..
gordo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #96
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've never BBQ'd ribs before. Anybody have any simple suggestions and recommended marinade/bbq sauces for them?

Also what goes best with ribs? Potatoes?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #97
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I commited a BBQ sin......I left the cover off of it for a week straight during all the snow/rain we got and now it looks like a lepoard. Quite a few rust spots forming on it, what's the best way to polish it back up?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #98
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
I've never BBQ'd ribs before. Anybody have any simple suggestions and recommended marinade/bbq sauces for them?

Baked beans or coleslaw make good sides for ribs. Even fries or some type of finger food, since you're already nice and messy!

Edit: You should take a look at Bar B Barn ribs. Easily one of my favorite rib recipes.

Quote:
Title: Bar-B-Barn Ribs
Categories: Pork, Barbecue
Yield: 4 servings MM#: 2868

2 lbs Ribs, Parboiled
2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 cup Apple Sauce
1/2 cup Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder

In a heavy saucepan, mix apple sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, salt,
pepper, paprika, garlic powder and cinnamon. Over medium-high heat, bring
the sauce to the boiling point and continue boiling for one to two minutes.

Place parboiled ribs in an ovenproof dish and brush liberally with the
sauce. Bake for 45 minutes at 350'F. Turn ribs and bush underside with
remaining sauce. Continue baking for 45 minutes. Serves four. From The
Gazette, 90/12/19. Bar-B-Barn ribs are a Montreal favourite.
Make the sauce like it says in the recipe. Parboil the ribs (which helps break down the connective muscle tissue = tender fall off the bone ribs), coat them in a thick layer of sauce, and slowly bake them on the BBQ using indirect heat. Try to keep your BBQ at 350º, and lift the lid as little as possible. You can apply extra sauce every 20 minutes or so with a silicon brush. Make sure the ribs aren't sitting over any flame, as it will burn the sauce and make the ribs taste acrid.

Last edited by Komskies; 04-22-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #99
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post

Pressure cooking ribs ahead of time is key, that's how you achieve the fall off the bone tenderness. After that, water down (not heavily, just get it a little soupy) your BBQ sauce of choice, put the ribs in a pan and fill the pan with the diluted bbq sauce so that they are welll covered and let them sit for a few hours. Chuck em on the BBQ, braising every now and again with full strenght BBQ sauce until they are done to your liking.

This method makes dynamite ribs. I usually eat with corn/baked potatoes/ceaser salad.

Wow am I hungry now.....
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #100
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

does anyone clean the inside of their bbq? how often do you need to clean it?

Other than the grill grates, which get the wire-brush treatment everytime it's used, the inside has never been cleaned (~1 year old). The burners are covered by baffles, so nothing should drip into them directly, but I can see the bottom of the bbq has a bit of carbon and ash, as does the top of the baffles.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber