Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #221
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have to say Strip Sirloin as well. Rib Eye is a distant second and only depending on how its been cooked.

I havent had Rib Eye often, the only experience I remember was at the Keg once and it seemed raw - from the buildup my dad gave it I was expecting this little piece of cow heaven and what I got was meh.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #222
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

love rib eye and tenderloin, but if you want great, flavourful and relatively inexpensive cuts try skirt steak or flat iron steak
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #223
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
love rib eye and tenderloin, but if you want great, flavourful and relatively inexpensive cuts try skirt steak or flat iron steak
Without a doubt flank and skirt steak have some serious inherent flavour. Flank steak is my goto cut of meat for fajitas and cheese steak sandwiches.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #224
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh I hate to give away one of my secrets...

T&T has the BEST flank steak. Extremely tender. Heck, it may not even be cow, but it's good. Makes excellent stir fry.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #225
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

For the serious meat eaters, I was wondering if you can taste the difference between Canadian and American beef (ie Grass/grain vs corn fed cows). If you compared the top of the line cut from a US and one from Canada, would there be a difference?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #226
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yeah, totally.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #227
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Seeing how it's April 8th already, I figured it was time to give this thread a bump. I'm going to get the smoker out tomorrow and do my first BBQ of the year.

Co-op has beef ribs on sale right now, so I went out yesterday and got a bunch of those, then I'm going to head over to Costco today and pick up a pork shoulder to make some pulled pork with. Forecast only shows a high of 5 degrees tomorrow, but honestly it'll be worth it.

Anyone else kicked off the bbq season yet?
Costco was a big no-go on the pork shoulder. All they had was the big primal cut loins, which they make their chops and roasts out of. Was hard as hell to even find a butcher to talk to there.

Anybody know of a good quality butcher shop in the deep SE part of the city? I have a feeling the Safeway's and Co-ops won't have what I'm looking for either.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #228
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I personally dislike corn fed beef. The yellowish tinge to the fat and
the taste, to me seems off. Grass fed, not from a supermarket FTW.
I buy from Hirshe Meats in Okotoks.
http://hirschemeats.com/
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #229
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
For the serious meat eaters, I was wondering if you can taste the difference between Canadian and American beef (ie Grass/grain vs corn fed cows). If you compared the top of the line cut from a US and one from Canada, would there be a difference?
There used to be a difference, ..but nowadays alot of beef producers on both sides of the border are feeding their cattle primarily corn and barley. I am from the feedlot alley area, and round-up ready corn has really taken off. Thanks Monsanto....

Grass-fed range beef is the king.
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikey_the_redneck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #230
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
There is a huge difference in taste, and I much prefer Canadian beef. Corn fed beef has a sweeter taste, and I find it off putting.

The Ruth's Chris in the Calgary Tower serves mostly USDA prime corn-fed beef, but thankfully that specific location also features an Alberta Beef menu.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #231
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

T Bone is my favorite, the nice "steak" flavor from the strip loin side with the melt in your mouth tenderness from the tender loin side, and both cooked on the bone is a perfect trifecta.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #232
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cowboy cut Rib Steak, its a Rib Eye cut thick with the bone frenched as well. Great marbled cut, the flavor the bone puts into any steak cannot be matched. Im also a fan of a thick cut Porterhouse like 3" thick a nice cut of the Striploin and the Tenderloin tied together with a tasty bone to chew the meet off of.

And Grilled Veggies, man I love those things. Red & Yellow Onion, Red/Orange or Yellow Pepper (greens not sweet enough), Zucchini, Mushrooms and Carrots. Cut and add a good splash of Italian Salad Dressing let marinate for 2-3hrs toss into a grill wok and cook until they are just starting to char....DELICIOUS!

Last edited by Gundo; 04-08-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #233
trew
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Costco was a big no-go on the pork shoulder. All they had was the big primal cut loins, which they make their chops and roasts out of. Was hard as hell to even find a butcher to talk to there.

Anybody know of a good quality butcher shop in the deep SE part of the city? I have a feeling the Safeway's and Co-ops won't have what I'm looking for either.
I've bought a few pork shoulder roasts from Safeway before. They almost always have the steak, so make sure to ask the Butcher, as they may have roasts in the back.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #234
Mad Mel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gotta agree with Gundo, rib steak is king for me.

It's weird moving to another country, you have to translate beef cuts. What I know as ribeye is called scotch fillet here. A porterhouse only contains the striploin part, it doesn't have the bone and tenderloin like a Canadian porterhouse or t-bone. So I guess that makes it a New York strip. Tenderloin is called beef fillet. Luckily, I am at one with beef, and can sense a good cut from across the aisle. Aussie beef is damned fine too, if you know which supplier to get it from.

A couple of buddies moved here from Calgary a week ago, having them over to watch the hockey game tomorrow afternoon (even though one's a Flames fan, I'm charitable that way). The BBQ will be raging and the beer frosty. The local supermarket sells these awesome uncut ribeye steak that are wide enough for four steaks (of course, I only turn them into two >2" each).

Can't wait... shooting the bull with the boys... hockey... beer... steak... where am I again?
Mad Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #235
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Goon View Post
what's everyone's favourite cut of beef? I enjoy a good rib eye.
Tenderloin all the way.

Anybody have good tips for barbequed turkey wings? How long/what kind of heat. They're massive and tasty, but I want to give them a shot on the grill.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #236
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
Tenderloin all the way.

Anybody have good tips for barbequed turkey wings? How long/what kind of heat. They're massive and tasty, but I want to give them a shot on the grill.
hmm... given the size, probably a low to medium heat to cook and then fire it up at the end to give it the classic barbeque char and crispen the skin, I bet you could carefully do one at medium heat right through if you fiddled with the heat enough.

Probably a marinade too before cooking. I'd do a cranberry oil (soak a bunch of craberries in oil for a while then puree maybe) / vinegar based marinade.

That'd be my best idea.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ma-skis.com For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #237
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma-skis.com View Post
hmm... given the size, probably a low to medium heat to cook and then fire it up at the end to give it the classic barbeque char and crispen the skin, I bet you could carefully do one at medium heat right through if you fiddled with the heat enough.

Probably a marinade too before cooking. I'd do a cranberry oil (soak a bunch of craberries in oil for a while then puree maybe) / vinegar based marinade.

That'd be my best idea.
I like the cranberry idea, I may have to try that. I was thinking of a mango/habanero glaze, but figured a glaze would just char from the bbq.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #238
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
I like the cranberry idea, I may have to try that. I was thinking of a mango/habanero glaze, but figured a glaze would just char from the bbq.
the glaze sounds solid, mango and hananero, just apply the glaze right when it's about to be done and turn the grill up to high to caramalize the sugars and crisp it all up,
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #239
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll try this on the weekend and report my findings.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #240
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
Im also a fan of a thick cut Porterhouse like 3" thick a nice cut of the Striploin and the Tenderloin tied together with a tasty bone to chew the meet off of.
3" Porterhouse is too thick IMO, I've tried it. On a hot grill the outside was over cooked by the time the MOO comes out of the inside. I tried... I even cooked it indirectly to finish.

Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pinner For This Useful Post:

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber