Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #701
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So I planted 11 cedars, looks like 1 isn't going to make it. All brown, even the green on the backside is brittle.

How long do you give it till you call it and plant a new one?
Now. It's dead.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:05 AM   #702
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Doing a new deck / patio this year. Looking for any and all suggestions. My space is about 15 feet by 20-25 feet depending on how far I'd like to take it. Have considered concrete but the cost is deterring me. Anybody know much and pricing and lifespan of rubber pebbles and I guess there is always doing wood again but I'd rather not because it may not again. The deck is only raised a foot or two off the ground.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:19 AM   #703
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you put pilings in and use PT joists you shouldn't have a problem with wood rot. Being 15 feet you can use 16 foot boards and not have to worry about joints. Mine is a foot off the ground, built it 10 years ago and no sign of rot.

Last edited by Fuzz; 05-17-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:30 AM   #704
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If you put pilings in and use PT joists you shouldn't have a problem with wood rot. Being 15 feet you can use 16 foot boards and not have to worry about joints. Mine is a foot off the ground, built it 10 years ago and no sign of rot.
I'll second that. Mine is built the same way and is still solid with no signs of rot. I built it the year of the Flames last cup run (2004?).
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #705
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have some gargantuan front steps that are concrete. About 7 steps 8 ft wide. The first 5 or so steps were lined with awful hedges that were garbage magnets. So I dug them up yesterday with the intention of replanting something fancy and putting down some mulch.

Well, now that I have dug them up I have exposed a pretty large gap under one of the concrete steps. I'm not concerned about structural issues. I think it's just how they were designed and poured. I'll probably fill in the gap a bit with the dirt I dug out.

What I want to do is cover the god awful ugly concrete steps. Sides and top.

Any ideas on covering material? I'd like to do wood on the sides, but wood touching concrete is never a good idea. I considered composite decking, but that seems a tad overkill. The last thing I considered is covering it with stones or brick on the side then pavers on top. Massive slate slabs are super expensive and i'd like to keep this cost controlled.

Any ideas, or has anybody seen anything that they think looks good? I seem to have writers block, or landscapers block (hah) on this.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #706
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you considered using Stone Effects?
I used this stuff, as I just wanted to freshen mine up and add some texture and it is easy to install:

https://www.rustoleum.ca/product-cat...-stone-coating

But if you want to spend a bit more time and money, I think this looks good:

https://www.rustoleum.ca/product-cat...ds/stoneffects
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 11:57 AM   #707
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I've got a crab apple in my front yard that hasn't got any buds on it yet, but the branches aren't brittle or anything. Squirrels and rabbits have done a number on it's bark over the winter. Is this tree dead or almost dead? I'll be annoyed because it'll be the second time replacing that tree. The first one was planted by Blue Grass and they didn't dig far enough down through a layer of clay. I planted this one and it's been okay the past 3 years.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #708
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take a knife and cut back the bark on one of the branches.

If it's green, it's just late starting this year. Keep checking different areas of the tree to be sure.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:13 PM   #709
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

So where is my best bet for buying one of those "Alberta" hybrid apple trees, and some columnar aspen type trees (I want to place them along the fence for shade / privacy).
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #710
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any reason this would be a terrible idea?

Just seems too damned easy... Could do the whole front side of my house in a couple of hours for about $140 in edging, blocks, mulch and lanscaping paper.

Related question: I'm planning to do this around the egress recesses for basement bedroom windows. Obviously the bed itself is no different from having my lawn there, but can I plant things near them? If so, does it matter what? Could I plant a hedge or shrubs in front of the egress point, or just flowers?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 05-17-2018 at 01:28 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #711
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty skeptical how that would hold up long term. 1.5" of concrete likely isn't going to withstand ground freeze and thaw cycles.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #712
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

Just seems too damned easy... Could do the whole front side of my house in a couple of hours for about $140 in edging, blocks, mulch and lanscaping paper.
Hell might as well try it out. One thing that the guy in the video totally failed at: you're actually not supposed to be able to see the plastic edging like that.

http://renegadegardener.com/dont-do-...ng-improperly/

Quote:
Related question: I'm planning to do this around the egress recesses for basement bedroom windows. Obviously the bed itself is no different from having my lawn there, but can I plant things near them? If so, does it matter what? Could I plant a hedge or shrubs in front of the egress point, or just flowers?
Don't see why not, but be aware of the final mature height of the shrub.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #713
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Plant some shrubs or something that doesn't require additional watering. I've previously been told by a couple folks in the home industry that putting in flower beds along side your foundation is a bad idea. It increases the possibility of water getting through your foundation and into your basement if you are constantly watering plants that are right up against your house.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #714
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I've got a crab apple in my front yard that hasn't got any buds on it yet, but the branches aren't brittle or anything. Squirrels and rabbits have done a number on it's bark over the winter. Is this tree dead or almost dead? I'll be annoyed because it'll be the second time replacing that tree. The first one was planted by Blue Grass and they didn't dig far enough down through a layer of clay. I planted this one and it's been okay the past 3 years.
You should protect the bottom trunk about 2 feet up from the ground. Wrap a piece of tin or some hard plastic around the base (a little loose for tree growth) and this will prevent any rabbits from eating the bark.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robotic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #715
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
The truth would be in how it looks in year 2-3. Landscaping- especially with rocks tends to look great when newly installed.

I also noticed that their "before" picture wasn't even in the same place as the "after."
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #716
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone have any experience with planting a large, mature tree?

We've begun looking at houses, mostly new(er) inner-city builds, but a lot of them seem to have lost trees during the redevelopment.

We're having a difficult time embracing some of the homes, but if we know there is potential to add a large tree (or two) it could really change our perspective.

Are there some types that transplant better than others? Is there a specific time of year that's best? Any ideas on cost?

I realize there will be limitations (practical and cost-wise), but at this time, we're thinking the bigger, the better.

Thanks, CP!
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #717
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

About $1200 I'd say for a large caliper tree + delivery + install, assuming they can get into the spot you want the tree.

You and a lot of your friends could probably do a deciduous tree. Evergreens are a lot heavier and unwieldy.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #718
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
About $1200 I'd say for a large caliper tree + delivery + install, assuming they can get into the spot you want the tree.

You and a lot of your friends could probably do a deciduous tree. Evergreens are a lot heavier and unwieldy.
I'd probably leave it up to the pros, just in case.

When you say large caliper, how large are we talking? Rough height?
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #719
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Large deciduous trees are sorted by the width of their trunk, whereas evergreens are by height. The height will vary depending on the species and variety. Checking out 5 Star Trees' catalogue here in town, it looks like 5m is the tallest they sell, so around 16 feet.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #720
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The lawn in our house was neglected last year. The house was an estate sale and essentially didn't get watered all last year and we took possession in the fall. There are some pine trees that haven't done the lawn any favours either. So far I have dethatched the lawn and removed all the pine needles I can. Next I was going to aerate, fertilize, compost and seed. Parts of the lawn are decent, some have sparse grass (where there was lots of needles) and a couple parts have no grass. I think there were a couple pavers and a tree removed.

Do I get the whole thing aerated? I am worried about damaging the existing grass in the sparse areas. But at the same time the ground in the sparse and dead areas is quite hard.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies