Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-29-2024, 04:34 PM   #1
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:
Default Brian Mulroney has Passed Away

I was too young to really know or understand what the deal was with Brian Mulroney. I was just always told that he created the GST and was the bad guy for that.

I know he was close friends with the Bushes and Reagans. I generally heard bad things about him growing up.

A few years ago, I heard his eulogy for George Bush Sr. and if anything, he was a richly eloquent and beautiful speaker.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 04:40 PM   #2
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

RIP to Brian Mulroney. Politics was different back then and while I wouldn’t have agreed with a lot of his positions he struck me as more of a gentleman than what we have today.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:47 PM   #3
Fuzzy14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
RIP to Brian Mulroney. Politics was different back then and while I wouldn’t have agreed with a lot of his positions he struck me as more of a gentleman than what we have today.
This is exactly what I said in my bosses office a few moments ago. You usually had good reason to dislike some of our Prime Ministers, but even some of the big ones people gripe about, Trudeau Sr., Chretien, Martin, Mulroney, were gentlemen.
Fuzzy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 04:47 PM   #4
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mulroney was a fantastic speaker. I remember his debates with John Turner quite fondly.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:48 PM   #5
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The last Conservative PM I liked.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 04:55 PM   #6
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The last Conservative PM I liked.
I liked Kim Campbell but I'd really love to see a return of the Progressive Conservative party.

RIP Mr. Mulroney.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 05:05 PM   #7
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
No way, #### that nerd.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 05:05 PM   #8
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

When I was growing up EVERYONE hated Mulroney. GST was the big one, and his desire to tax the Canadian people was even referenced in the greatest Christmas Carol ever written:

When they got to the Causeway, Santa's mood was quite low,
He was down to his very last ho, ho, ho, ho,
They wanted his money: two bits and a Loonie,
They said they were collecting for Brian Mulroney

The only person I ever knew growing up that like Mulroney was my grandfather. He said that the GST and free trade saved the country.

Now, as an adult, I'm inclined to agree with him. In fairness, I think part of it was cool to hate Mulroney just like it was/is cool to hate Nickelback.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 05:11 PM   #9
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
When I was growing up EVERYONE hated Mulroney. GST was the big one, and his desire to tax the Canadian people was even referenced in the greatest Christmas Carol ever written:

The only person I ever knew growing up that like Mulroney was my grandfather. He said that the GST and free trade saved the country.

Now, as an adult, I'm inclined to agree with him. In fairness, I think part of it was cool to hate Mulroney just like it was/is cool to hate Nickelback.
Also the focal point of a schoolyard Looney Tunes jingle:

We're tiny
we're tuney
we can't afford a loonie
since Brian Mul-rooney
invented GST!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 05:11 PM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

I think he took a lot of flack in Ontario with free trade. And the last PM to have the bravery to bring in a new tax(kinda). The following election probably tells us why that was the case.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 05:18 PM   #11
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eff Trudeau is out there now. In the 80s it was a bumper sticker with a middle finger on it saying “Tax this, Brian.”

Great speaker, level headed. I saw him at the Forum the first time I went there. He had season tickets for years. Someone was yelling at him and was removed quickly.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 05:19 PM   #12
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but you know what the other difference is? People hated Mulroney because they didn’t like his policies instead of attacking his character. Like I have no doubt that politically Ed Broadbent and John Turner hated Brian Mulroney, but I also have no doubt that they got along in real life and just recognized that they all wanted different ways to make the country better.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 05:19 PM   #13
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy14 View Post
This is exactly what I said in my bosses office a few moments ago. You usually had good reason to dislike some of our Prime Ministers, but even some of the big ones people gripe about, Trudeau Sr., Chretien, Martin, Mulroney, were gentlemen.
*unless you were indigenous
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 05:32 PM   #14
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think he took a lot of flack in Ontario with free trade. And the last PM to have the bravery to bring in a new tax(kinda). The following election probably tells us why that was the case.
I think it was moreso the failures of Meech Lake Charlottetown and the failure to bring Quebec which created the Bloc and alienated the West which created Reform.

He was the last PM brave enough to take on constitutional reform. Meech Lake should have passed.

Last edited by GirlySports; 02-29-2024 at 05:35 PM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 05:38 PM   #15
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

He royally ####ed Winnipeg by awarding the F-18 contract to Quebec. That's the policy I hated. The GST always made sense to me as it replaced the manufacturer's tax which was a disaster.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 05:39 PM   #16
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Well everyone keeps saying we need to increase taxes to pay for all the stuff we need, and he brought in the GST but isn't it fun to still hate him?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 05:42 PM   #17
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Disagreed with a lot of what he stood for domestically, but admired his principled stand regarding South African Apartheid. This was in stark contrast to Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher's stances. Nelson Mandela never forgot that, and Canada enjoys a certain honour to this day.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 05:52 PM   #18
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah, but you know what the other difference is? People hated Mulroney because they didn’t like his policies instead of attacking his character. Like I have no doubt that politically Ed Broadbent and John Turner hated Brian Mulroney, but I also have no doubt that they got along in real life and just recognized that they all wanted different ways to make the country better.
Didn't this guy get busted for accepting envelopes of cash from a German "businessman?" He was a crook, plain and simple.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/mulroney...-cash-1.399006

Last edited by MegaErtz; 02-29-2024 at 05:54 PM.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 05:55 PM   #19
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

A GST is probably one of the more fair taxes there are. The issue isn't really the GST, but that it was on top of other taxes and not a replacement as it was promoted.

A lot of people hated the idea of NAFTA at the time and saw it as giving away some sovereignty. There was a lot of talk about selling out Canadian industry and resources to the Americans, rather than investing in Canada.

There was also the failed Meech Lake Accord which revived Quebec separatism.

Privatizing Crown Corporations (part of the reason the GST was created).

I am not really informed enough on the positive and negative trade offs to have an opinion, but those were a few of the main controversies. In general though, Mulroney was hugely popular at the beginning of his office and would probably be better than most politicians in this country today. He'd probably be considered a centrist by today's standards.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 02-29-2024 at 06:11 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 06:02 PM   #20
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Didn't this guy get busted for accepting envelopes of cash from a German "businessman?" He was a crook, plain and simple.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/mulroney...-cash-1.399006
It was deemed inappropriate but happened after he was pm and was an mp. His government was riddled with scandals, very true. It’s part of his complicated legacy, he implemented a hated tax and had the courage to do it. He tried hard on the constitution, got close and nobody has tried again. Free trade. Apartheid.

But yes, screwed the west in the f18 affair, didn’t do the military any favours either and decimated his party opening the door for reform.

I can’t just thrown him in the crook plain and simple pile though. The world is full of gray.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post: