Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2018, 10:25 PM   #101
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
Old 12-26-2018, 10:56 PM   #102
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Not really. Even regular drinkers (not alchoholics) are pretty drunk at 0.05 and wasted at 0.08.
So wrong, 3 beers in the 1st hour will put a 200lb man at 0.05, 3 more in the next hour will put him over the legal limit to drive, but a regular drinker would not be wasted.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 11:01 PM   #103
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
So wrong, 3 beers in the 1st hour will put a 200lb man at 0.05, 3 more in the next hour will put him over the legal limit to drive, but a regular drinker would not be wasted.
What do you call 6 beers in 2 hours?

Jesus.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 11:08 PM   #104
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

Jesus.
I thought a Jesus was 6 bottles of wine in 2 hours.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:15 PM   #105
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey76 View Post
I don’t drink, so I am not as invested as some, but one thing that drives me crazy is the constant refrain like bad elevator music that “driving is a privledge not a right.” That is nonsense. I am Canadian citizen and driving is a right. Yes there is a proficiency test and yes it is a right that can be lost with certain behaviour, but I hate the mindset that the government is doing me a favour by letting me drive. I don’t need to be greatful that I am allowed to drive.
0.o
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:30 PM   #106
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Jesus.
Lunch?
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 11:56 PM   #107
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Jesus.
I actually have a breathalyzer and did that once, I blew a .06 after drinking a 6 pack in 2 hours. Then it took an hour and a half of not having another before I dropped below .05

Who knows how accurate my little $100 breathalyzer gag gift is, but it's interesting to experiment

Last edited by btimbit; 12-26-2018 at 11:58 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:26 AM   #108
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You don’t have to feel wasted to be impaired.

You are certainly significantly impaired in your reaction time and judgement if you are over .08 BAC. The concept of not being wasted and not having reduced capacity to operate a motor vehicle are completely different things.

On the original topic.
To me I think some sort of cause should be required to be demonstrated by the officer in order to demand a breathylizer. However given how non invasive that act is the threshold of “unreasonable” should be very low such that an officer noting any smell in a log book should be sufficient that it isn’t overturned in court.

I think people misunderstand what the charter says. You have the right to be secure against unreasonable search and seizure. What is unreasonable is legislated by governments and interpreted by the courts. The debate of is it reasonable is absolutely the correct debate to be having here.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:54 AM   #109
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Section 8 is definitely engaged here, but my bigger concern is about self incrimination. Refusing to blow is a criminal offence. When an officer had to have reasonable suspicion that an offence had been committed, that was more or less okay. Here, though, you're being told the following by the state: "we have no reason to think you have done anything wrong. Despite that, we require that you prove to us that you have not committed a crime. Accordingly, we require that you provide evidence to us that may be used to incriminate you. If you refuse to provide that evidence, that refusal will also be incriminating." It actually is fairly Orwellian.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:46 AM   #110
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
You don’t have to feel wasted to be impaired.
That was my point
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 12-27-2018, 01:53 AM   #111
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Jesus.
Impaired, You're not likely a drinker but please pay attention
Old 12-27-2018, 05:19 AM   #112
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

My first response is I'm completely against this.

I hate the "if you have nothing to hide" argument, as it assumes that everything legal is ok to be public knowledge. It also assumes that the police have to be truthful in their dealing with you, which the Supreme Court has said would be too detrimental to their job.

Sure we could look at stats to see if we could find the "bad cops" but we already have numbers about institutional and racial bias and those problems continue.

There have been many posters that have said that there is evidence this law reduces drinking and driving.

I haven't seen these studies, no one has posted them. I don't want to discuss what I think methodology would be without seeing the methodologies.

The Charter is there for a reason. It should be held in high regard. Yes, Section 1 can overrule Section 8, but it's not as simple as "well the law is reasonable so its cool" there's a detailed test to determine if a law can justifiably overrule a constitutional right. That said, no point going into it now without the evidence of the law working elsewhere.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son

Last edited by Maritime Q-Scout; 12-27-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:35 AM   #113
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Impaired, You're not likely a drinker but please pay attention
I think you’re confusing “drinker” with “binge drinker.” Perhaps you should pay attention to the signs of alcoholism. 6 beers in two hours is not a healthy social activity, it’s drinking to get drunk, which can be fun on it’s own, but it’s not something to thump your chest proudly about.

Regardless, it comes down to semantics. Wasted, impaired, buzzed, everyone is going to feel a little different depending on their body size (if you’re 300 pounds, maybe 6 in 2 is a light buzz, if you’re 150, you’re stumbling) but the point is that drinking and driving is not some sport. You don’t measure it against your ability to play hockey, or your ability to own the crown of “drinker” and handle 6 drinks.

Pay attention to this: if you drink, be a an adult and don’t drive. I don’t care if you’re at 0.03, 0.05, 0.07, or 0.08. Being a proud drinker is great, but it’s ok to be an intelligent adult too and use an Uber when you’ve been drinking. You may get some ego from drinking John under the table. But you’re just a ####ing loser if you grab your keys and decide you’re good to drive.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:01 AM   #114
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Everywhere I've read, including this thread, debates what 0.05 actually is.

Is there somewhere to buy a good quality breathalyzer?

I'd really like to have a better idea of what 0.05 feels like. It's a little scary if that's only two beers in an hour for most. I feel like it wouldn't be since the 0.05 mark is meant to target when people's motor skills are effected.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #115
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

First. My concern about the 0.05 is more constitutional. It's quasi criminal and mandated by the province as opposed to the feds.

The data suggests 0.05 is much safer. Consequently I'll retract my previous statement. I still have a problem with mandatory blowing at checkstops.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4448946/
Old 12-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #116
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Shouldn't any infringement on our charter rights be a big deal?
I would consider not being killed by a drunk driver a more fundamental right than not having to do a breathalyzer on a public road.

The right to life vs the right to avoid a minor inconvenience.

The following section came from https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...-freedoms.html

Quote:
Section 9 - Detention or imprisonment
9. Everyone has the right not to be arbitrarily detained or imprisoned.

Section 9 says that government officials cannot take individuals into custody or hold them without a good reason. For example, a police officer must have reasonable grounds for detaining a person. However, courts have stated that laws allowing officers to stop drivers for breath tests are reasonable and do not violate the Charter.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #117
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people have become too soft and their defenses down too much when it comes to giving the state more and more authority, at the expense of personal freedoms. That's my takeaway from this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
I would consider not being killed by a drunk driver a more fundamental right than not having to do a breathalyzer on a public road.

The following section came from https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...-freedoms.html
This is pretty spurious logic. Using this line of thinking then people, with the intent of not being the victim of a homicide, should begin appealing to the police to kick down peoples doors and remove firearms by force. Cuz, you know, we don't want to be victims of gun violence right?

Last edited by White Out 403; 12-27-2018 at 10:06 AM.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #118
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post

I asked earlier. But how many innocent people are killed by drunk drivers? How about compared to speeding?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #119
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Jesus.

The second intermission?
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RogerWilco For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #120
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

This doesn't bother me at all, I like to drink but I leave my vehicle at home if I know I will be, other than a limit of 1 glass of wine if I am out for dinner. Those are just the rules I set for myself. I'm fine with a tinny bit more screening at road side if it save some lives for sure.

The constitutional issue is a separate matter. I personally don't see this as some sort of slippery slope. Driving isn't a right it is only a privilege. Alcohol limits your ability to drive safely, so I think screening is appropriate. I don't see this moving to illegal searches as that is a separate issue that isn't really linked to your ability to operate a vehicle. That would be more of an issue of searching private property. Just my opinion.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RogerWilco For This Useful Post: