Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #541
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And this in conjunction with the new colour-scheme makes the Police seem decidedly less friendly.
At least that move they backed up with good reasoning though, and actually saves them a lot of money.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:39 AM   #542
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Agreed. And if you're a drug dealer, you're way likely to do something dumb when faced with that vs a Ford Explorer.

But that's why I 100% agree with the people saying it would be nice to see more details on the calls. Could be an easy way to silence the critics if they showed why they need it instead of just going "trust us"
The stats are widely available (here), the problem with providing details on the calls are twofold:
1. Protecting the privacy of those involved in said calls (offenders, victims and witnesses) and;
2. Providing those details while protecting the privacy in 1. What level of detail is enough? Who is going to pay for every report to be scrutinized to ensure privacy is upheld just in case someone wants to know. While each incident has to be classified into a certain category (assault/domestic/robbery/mental health) they all have a unique set of factors that require different levels of response.

If you want details of an incident place a FOIP request, but be prepared to shell out the cash for every request you place, as it takes time/money to prepare each request.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #543
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At least that move they backed up with good reasoning though, and actually saves them a lot of money.
Oh, I get that. It was still a mistake.

It saved them some money out of their budget. Those savings went....?

But it harmed their overall mandate and probably made the jobs of every cop harder because now the level of trust between civilian and officer at every transaction starts just that little bit lower.

Was it worth it?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #544
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh, I get that. It was still a mistake.

It saved them some money out of their budget. Those savings went....?

But it harmed their overall mandate and probably made the jobs of every cop harder because now the level of trust between civilian and officer at every transaction starts just that little bit lower.

Was it worth it?
Eh I think that criticism is overblown. Harmed their mandate? This was almost a country wide change, and there's been black and white police cars in North America forever, including in Calgary before. Other than a few dozen complaints online I really dont think people are too worried about what colour a police car is. What matters at the start of every interaction with the police is wether or not they're being #######s, if they're a cheerful person their car won't matter

Last edited by btimbit; 07-10-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #545
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
The stats are widely available (here), the problem with providing details on the calls are twofold:
1. Protecting the privacy of those involved in said calls (offenders, victims and witnesses) and;
2. Providing those details while protecting the privacy in 1. What level of detail is enough? Who is going to pay for every report to be scrutinized to ensure privacy is upheld just in case someone wants to know. While each incident has to be classified into a certain category (assault/domestic/robbery/mental health) they all have a unique set of factors that require different levels of response.

If you want details of an incident place a FOIP request, but be prepared to shell out the cash for every request you place, as it takes time/money to prepare each request.
Stats are great - nobody is suggesting that the police don't have a lot to deal with. But in response to specific, valid questioning of the 500 calls to justify the new vehicle, they could've/should've provided more detail. Of course, not names and identifiable details. A social media post with "a week in the life of our armoured rescue vehicle" would have done a lot to explain to the general public, myself included, how it could possibly be dispatched 500 times in a year. In the absence of that info, or any specific explanation of how this thing gets used 1-2 times per day, makes the public question it more. Simple PR, and improves trust with the public.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #546
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Just for clarity sake..

Mobile Command Vehicle

Armoured Rescue Vehicle
The following questions are 100% my nievety, I don't mean this to insinuate that you're wrong.

What's the real difference?

I mean, the one with the decals on the top has a dish on top, and is larger. The one in military grey appears to have thicker armour.

While smaller, if the one on the bottom was painted as the one on the top, could it fulfill a similar function?

Does the one on the top have similar protection as the one on the bottom?

I mean they look different, but I don't have a full understanding of exactly what either does.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #547
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Eh I think that criticism is overblown. Harmed their mandate? This was almost a country wide change, and there's been black and white police cars in North America forever, including in Calgary before. Other than a few dozen complaints online I really dont think people are too worried about what colour a police car is. What matters at the start of every interaction with the police is wether or not they're being #######s, if they're a cheerful person their car won't matter

It is all about perception though. Most people never interact with the person in the car. But literally everyone sees the car and they do look more dangerous.

Police do seem much much nicer then they used to be though. I've noticed a dramatic change in how friendly they are. That changes so much public perception.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #548
underGRADFlame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Stats are great - nobody is suggesting that the police don't have a lot to deal with. But in response to specific, valid questioning of the 500 calls to justify the new vehicle, they could've/should've provided more detail. Of course, not names and identifiable details. A social media post with "a week in the life of our armoured rescue vehicle" would have done a lot to explain to the general public, myself included, how it could possibly be dispatched 500 times in a year. In the absence of that info, or any specific explanation of how this thing gets used 1-2 times per day, makes the public question it more. Simple PR, and improves trust with the public.

@CalgaryPolice
@CstSmith
@CstCJMartin

Tweet them... suggest it. Just because they haven't provided the information doesn't mean they wouldn't.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #549
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, this is a pretty epic thread derail.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #550
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
It is all about perception though. Most people never interact with the person in the car. But literally everyone sees the car and they do look more dangerous.

We've beat this topic to death here before, I don't really want to go too far down that road again. I just don't see it as being scary or more intimidating one bit. The black and white police car is iconic on this continent.

Besides, it's a Ford, it could be painted arid cadpat with skulls on it, it's still the one of the friendliest vehicles on the road to me

Last edited by btimbit; 07-10-2019 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #551
underGRADFlame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
The following questions are 100% my nievety, I don't mean this to insinuate that you're wrong.

What's the real difference?

I mean, the one with the decals on the top has a dish on top, and is larger. The one in military grey appears to have thicker armour.

While smaller, if the one on the bottom was painted as the one on the top, could it fulfill a similar function?

Does the one on the top have similar protection as the one on the bottom?

I mean they look different, but I don't have a full understanding of exactly what either does.

In simplest terms... MCV is used by the Generals (Command Staff) ARV is used by the troops (TAC), vastly different roles. MCV is not a tactical vehicle.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #552
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Canada should look at places like England for police colours. Bright + friendly v dark + unfriendly. The black and white look might be iconic but these cars aren't black and white, they're black, dark jet black. You don't see the white doors (only white to show off the logo), you see an all black vehicle. Secondly I don't care about how iconic a police cruiser looks.

The blue look was much better anyway. Though technically that's RCMP I suppose.

Some might take issue with my take, some might think it's silly to be intimidated by a colour scheme but it's part of the bigger picture. Just another slow advance to a military style police force. Police Officers engage with the public, the military doesn't. The two should look and act very different.

The blending is increasingly troublesome.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #553
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

How's it an advance toward something if its just going back to how they used to be? The black and white is returning to their roots, not going to some new uncharted territory.

Personally though I like red on a police car. Ironically the military police have the best colour scheme in the country in my opinion

Last edited by btimbit; 07-10-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #554
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
How's it an advance toward something of its just going back to how they used to be? The black and white is returning to their roots, not going to some uncharted territory.
Because the decision didn't happen in a vacuum and no one ever talks about the "iconic black and white cruisers!" with love and awe. It's a nothing reason.

Quote:
Personally though I like red on a police car.
Would love and red and white colour scheme. Red's a Calgary colour.

Last edited by Rando; 07-10-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #555
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Because the decision didn't happen in a vacuum and no one ever talks about the "ironic black and white cruisers!" with love and awe. It's a nothing reason.

Alanis Morissette feat. Micheal Jackson?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #556
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Old 07-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #557
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I do not like the black police cars. Police cars should stand out. These blend in to much. To me it is like they are trying to hide (stealth) their presence.

The conspiracist in me says it is to write more tickets

Mccree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #558
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Surprisingly, they state public recognition and enhanced visibility as another reason or the change. Again, the black and white being recognizable as a police car. I actually think the all white police cars blend in way way more. Spotting the sheriffs on Hwy 2 is way more difficult then the reflective decaling in Calgary

Looking back at old articles about when they first made the change it's full of quotes like "Going back to our roots" and "retro rebrand" with the cost savings being cited as the primary reason. This was done in 2012 and nobody complained about it until 2 or 3 years ago when police shootings in the US started being more and more publicized and public perception about police in general really dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
I definitely agree, red and Calgary just go together. Like I said, I love these

Spoiler!

And these are nice too

Spoiler!

But they're expensive

Last edited by btimbit; 07-10-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #559
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looking back at old articles about when they first made the change it's full of quotes like "Going back to our roots" and "retro rebrand" with the cost savings being cited as the primary reason. This was done in 2012 and nobody complained about it until 2 or 3 years ago when police shootings in the US started being more and more publicized and public perception about police in general really dropped.

Or 2 or 3 years ago is when there was a study done asking what people thought of the new vehicles.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...cruiser-colour
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #560
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Or 2 or 3 years ago is when there was a study done asking what people thought of the new vehicles.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...cruiser-colour
That was done in reaction to the sudden complaining about it