Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #1101
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Whats the reasoning for cyclists to go to the front at every light anyway?
If a bike's lane of travel is next to the curb, then you can't really fault the biker for continuing when there is nothing in front of them, same as you can't fault drivers for continuing in the left lane when the right turning lane backs up.

It's one of the perks of choosing a smaller, more nimble transportation style. When downtown traffic grinds to a halt at rush hour, I can still make it home in reasonable time.

Last edited by Flames0910; 06-25-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #1102
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, if people take issue with bikes passing on the side then they better not be passing bikes on a single lane road.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #1103
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Lol, if people take issue with bikes passing on the side then they better not be passing bikes on a single lane road.
This is how I feel about it too.
If I'm expected to stack up in line at the back of the traffic like a regular vehicle, then I'm going to take up the entire traffic lane and you can pass me like you would any other vehicle on the road.
Or I can just use the curb space as a lane, including at lights, and you can pass me like you usually would a cyclist.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:52 PM   #1104
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
I was part of a kind of big team (spokes and hoes) and everyone waited at each checkpoint. When my friend hurt himself and got trucked off, I was able to get in a group of 4 and rode with them from about lunch until the end and it was the best part of the day for sure, actually got to stretch my legs a little bit. I havent ever really ridden in a group before either, and wow does it ever make a difference. That headwind was brutal(if you were on the front) and yeah, thank god the wind didnt shift on the 2nd day. Not grinding through a wall of wind for 4 hours was beautiful.
I did the badlands gran fondo this last weekend, also was a lot of fun, but I might try to do the MS ride next year. Ktrain obviously enjoyed it as well.

This was my third organized event, and I really learned last month at the Okanagan Century ride how important the group can be. I was flying along feeling good about myself until I saw a swarm of about 10-15 riders gaining on me, and there was nothing I could do. But once they passed me I could jump in with them and keep up.

I had a good group heading into the wind northwest out of Drumheller on this ride, up until I got a flat, lost my group and watched 100 plus riders go past me while I replaced a tube. That kinda sucked.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #1105
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Road bike makers are starting to roll out their 2020 models and the trend seems to be fully integrated cables. Shifting and brakes.

Which make me look at the cables on my bike with disgust. Though they'll be hell for a regular person to work on their bike.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 09:24 AM   #1106
slots881
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Road bike makers are starting to roll out their 2020 models and the trend seems to be fully integrated cables. Shifting and brakes.

Which make me look at the cables on my bike with disgust. Though they'll be hell for a regular person to work on their bike.

From the Pictures, it looks like DI2, which is electronic shifting. A whole different deal from cables. So slick, but so expensive.
From experience as a bike mechanic, Internally routed Cable systems- Pain in the butt to change on some bikes.
But yes, they clean up the look of bikes so much
slots881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:24 AM   #1107
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ Beautiful I love that minimalist look.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #1108
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

it looks clean for sure, but in some ways i would be wierd to look down at the front tire and not have to peer thru a mess of cables.

yesterday strava told me that i was at about 530 for the month, my baseball game was cancelled, so i went for an evening ride and combined with my work commute today i will finish june with about 610k.

seems like an odd cycling year so far as i have only been out to bragg creek once. i suppose by not going there i increased my mileage a bit as i likely went on longer rides on my commuter
Old 06-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #1109
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slots881 View Post
From the Pictures, it looks like DI2, which is electronic shifting. A whole different deal from cables. So slick, but so expensive.
From experience as a bike mechanic, Internally routed Cable systems- Pain in the butt to change on some bikes.
But yes, they clean up the look of bikes so much
Yeah, the DI2 electronic shifting isn't new but the internal routing for the brake cables is, at least on commercially available bikes.

I saw a photo/illustration of how the brake cable works and it does look like a huge pain in the ass to work on. I'll try to track it down again.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:38 AM   #1110
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
^ Beautiful I love that minimalist look.
Starting at 7700€ it could be yours!

I think I'll have to wait for a few years before it becomes available on lower end bike before I can afford it.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:45 AM   #1111
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, the DI2 electronic shifting isn't new but the internal routing for the brake cables is, at least on commercially available bikes.

I saw a photo/illustration of how the brake cable works and it does look like a huge pain in the ass to work on. I'll try to track it down again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #1112
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Starting at 7700€ it could be yours!

I think I'll have to wait for a few years before it becomes available on lower end bike before I can afford it.
Starting a Go Fund Me page now.
Please help fat Timbo lose weight with style and grace also nothing’s funnier than a fat man on a slim bike, amirite?
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #1113
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

These sexy bike pictures are awesome, and I'm guessing that a lot of you guys are into going fast and doing more like training rides.. I'm dying to buy an electric cargo bike.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #1114
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I seem to recall some older mountain bikes where the the cabling partially ran through the inside of the frame.

Seems less necessary on a road bike where you're less likely to get tangled up with branches and bushes, except for the sleek look.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #1115
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

cant ever be too aero on a road bike!
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #1116
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I seem to recall some older mountain bikes where the the cabling partially ran through the inside of the frame.

Seems less necessary on a road bike where you're less likely to get tangled up with branches and bushes, except for the sleek look.

It's definitely not just a older mountain bike thing, my Specialized camber has internally routed cables.

not my bike at all but like this (big pic) :
NSFW!
Old 06-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #1117
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

the new thing is to hide all of the cables in the handlebar stem, i beleive magura has something out that accomplishes that, and i think syncros has something as well or perhaps i am thinking of the headset/handlebar integration set up.

but otherwise, in the MTB worlds, cables have been partially hidden in frames for a bit now
Old 06-27-2019, 11:14 AM   #1118
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
These sexy bike pictures are awesome, and I'm guessing that a lot of you guys are into going fast and doing more like training rides.. I'm dying to buy an electric cargo bike.
I want both but I also enjoy being married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
cant ever be too aero on a road bike!
I did laugh at the article about the new bike that said you'd save 8-10 watts with the integrated cables. For the pros that might make a difference but most folks wouldn't even notice.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #1119
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My ancient Trek has one internal cable...

Marvel at the carbon fibre, back when they could only make round tubes..
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #1120
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do they have voice controlled gears yet?

"Alexa, go into 1 gear. No wait, I meant Siri!"