Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #81
HerbalMagic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I don't know the Mayor's opinion on breed-specific bans. It hasn't been something we've heard an awful lot about from citizens, so no it isn't currently on the radar.
As it shouldn't be, the breed ban hasn't worked anywhere else so why would it be any different here.
HerbalMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #82
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Ahhh. i see.

Any chance of getting the Mayor to start r2 zoning more communities in the city? Like for example Varsity!
Good question - there are large swaths of the city that are R2, but haven't heard a lot of requests to blanket rezone a newer generation of communities to R2. I think it's something that could be asked if/when a community gets a new Area Redevelopment Plan (which I don't think Varsity has one yet). Are you a member of your Community Association? That might be a good place to start a conversation in your neighbourhood about trying to get an ARP or changes to zoning.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #83
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary transit is currently studying the two options Edmonton Trail and Centre Street.
Personally, I think if it's not Centre Street, they shouldn't even bother. Running beside Deerfoot was the most ridiculous proposal ever, and while Edmonton Trail is not terrible, it's not very ideal either. Subways need to go
where the people are and the action is.

Yes it will cost a lot of money, but it needs to be done right or not at all. Officials need to stop looking at things so short term and ask themselves what the next generation of Calgary need. What is right for Calgary 50 years from now? What is right 100 years from now? If we do it half-assed now, will we pay for it later?

It's a actually a pretty simple question which one is the right route. The real questions should be more around how we get the funds to pay for it.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #84
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Mile-DJ View Post
Here's my question: why is it that other cities can have a "bare pavement" policy, within 24 hours of a snow fall, but we can't? Why does Calgary have to always seem to depend on the chinook to melt it away? "Oh, wait a day or two. A chinook is coming and it'll be dry then."

I would gladly pay more in my taxes (I believe a report from Global said somewhere in the range of $40 per person, per year) to have clear roads in the winter. This depending on the chinook is a joke.
I don't think any city has such a policy, but if it did I wouldn't want to live there.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #85
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Has the GC put in the request for the Peace bridge overages yet? What the damage?

Think there is going to be lawsuits?
Calgary put in a fixed-cost contract. As far as I understand the contractor has not approached the City trying to recover and cost overruns they might have incurred.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #86
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Good question - there are large swaths of the city that are R2, but haven't heard a lot of requests to blanket rezone a newer generation of communities to R2. I think it's something that could be asked if/when a community gets a new Area Redevelopment Plan (which I don't think Varsity has one yet). Are you a member of your Community Association? That might be a good place to start a conversation in your neighbourhood about trying to get an ARP or changes to zoning.
It's just puzzling how Montgomery which is only 2 blocks away have it, but in Varsity where the lot sizes are alot bigger don't.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #87
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the mayor going to serve drinks at the purple perk again? he makes a mean latte that just hasn't been topped yet.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #88
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, are you regretting starting this thread yet? 100 posts in what, 2 hours......
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #89
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
What's the current status of the 6th/7th St bikeways? The momentum behind these seems to have disappeared, I thought they were supposed to be done last summer?

With the the city making some good first steps in the direction of improved cycling infrastructure, will there be any efforts put into motorist education?
After the feedback about the painted only lanes, the City went back to the drawing board - with the goal of a fully physically separated cycle-track instead. It is actively being worked on with implementation planned this year.

There is a working group with downtown business reps, community associations, cycling groups for downtown bike projects. They've been working with City staff on the 6th/7th street corridor design over the past few months. In November they held a workshop with some design options. The preferred scenario (from both City staff and stakeholders) at that workshop was a two-way cycle-track on 7th Street due to fewer parking and traffic impacts and better functionality for cyclists. That is likely to be the direction, but it has not been finalized just yet.

The City has also hired (as per the cycling strategy) an education and promotion staff member in the transportation department for cycling. This persons role will be both motorist and cyclist education about cycling, cycling infrastructure, rules of the road etc.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #90
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

I know Pyramid Productions made a documentary about the Mayor. Since his election I've had the desire to do a more creative, and frankly better produced documentary.

Should we pursue, or let it go?
Old 01-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #91
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
So, are you regretting starting this thread yet? 100 posts in what, 2 hours......
I did not anticipate this many questions! But it's good.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #92
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Great question. It was the Mayor that pushed Transit to reconsider the alignment from Nose Creek to a more central alignment...

As such, Centre Street is the likely choice as it would be possible by tunnelling or by bridge to connect it from Eau Claire, up the bluff and then onto the Centre Street alignment.
That's great in theory, but given the cost, is it fair to say this won't happen until maybe 2050?!?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #93
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

As for my question, what is the best way to get a face-to-face meeting with the Mayor? I sit on a not-for-profit board and I'm told we've jumped through all the hoops (i.e. meeting with aldermen and other city staff) but have not been able to get any facetime with the Mayor. Any tips or suggestions?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #94
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know the Mayor's opinion on breed-specific bans. It hasn't been something we've heard an awful lot about from citizens, so no it isn't currently on the radar.
I read somewhere a while back that Calgary is commonly used as an example of how to succeed in this area without introducing BSL.

Found this graph today while doing some digging.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Docum...0Incidents.pdf
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #95
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a reason why the City of Calgary is so far behind in any implementation of LED street lighting? Considering the fact that the City of Edmonton has seen such dramatic savings in both energy consumption and maintenance costs, I would think it would be something that the CoC would be interested in. Even Lethbridge just had an RFP close to install over 4,000 fixtures.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #96
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Bunk, tell the Mayor to investigate his acolytes that keep hiring the same firms over and over - spread the work around!

Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #97
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't really have any questions, but I would appreciate if you pass my sentiment onto the Mayor at some point:

I greatly appreciate that he does his best to make decisions based on actual data. It's refreshing to see something like the scientific method employed in politics. I'm also fully on board with the full disclosure reports your team has been working so hard to release to update the public.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #98
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
I read somewhere a while back that Calgary is commonly used as an example of how to succeed in this area without introducing BSL.

Found this graph today while doing some digging.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Docum...0Incidents.pdf
Sidenote on this - It's likely I'm kind of slow, but I find that a very difficult chart to read. I can see the trends, but it's hard to get a sense of actual numbers with the bars stacked like that. Splitting them into 3 separate bars for each year would have helped.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #99
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
That's great in theory, but given the cost, is it fair to say this won't happen until maybe 2050?!?
This is the biggest challenge the City faces - long term funding for capital infrastructure. The Mayor's talked about it at length lately - the need for long term, predictable funding.

http://blog.calgarymayor.ca/2012/12/...or-nenshi.html

We will never, ever be able to build infrastructure of the order of magnitude of LRT lines unless we have a new funding arrangement in place with our Provincial and Federal Governments. The SELRT alone is $2.6 billion. The entire RouteAhead plan is $13 billion.

If the Province, for instance, simply made the Municipal Sustainability Initiative (MSI) program permanent and indexed it to inflation, we could take out a mortgage against the cost of building this infrastructure. There's no single ad-hoc grants (as it's largely done today) that will ever allow us to build the NC or SE LRT line.

The Mayor will be talking about this a lot over 2013 as the Cities of Calgary and Edmonton discuss City Charter with the Province.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #100
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the West LRT now in action, I'm wondering if Sunalta becomes the next TOD ala Brentwood. Currently everything along 10th ave is 4 stories or less and it just seems like a waste of land right next to a new above grade station.

I understand there is a Sunalta ARP which speaks to densification in the neighborhood, but has the city received any interest from the development community in terms of getting this underway?

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ask me anything , nenshiisashill , purple