Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #2041
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could you, please, elaborate on this a bit. I volunteer with agencies providing services to the disabled and a lot of people relying on this service are scared. I would like to be able to explain to them what is going on.

Handi-Bus, Southland etc. are third-party contractors to Access Calgary (although, Handi–Bus is somewhat indirectly owned by the City, I thought) and they provide transportation services to the disabled based on a contract with Access Calgary. How and why would Handi–Bus NOT want to provide this service anymore? Provision of this service is their primary purpose. If the contract with Access Calgary is workable, they would continue providing it, not? The report in Calgary Herald was about the service being unsustainable and changes upcoming.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #2042
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Calgary Handibus Association is a charity (not owned by anyone but its membership). Until the creation of Access Calgary, CHBA's funding arrangement required two city representative on the board of directors. Their buses have been displaying a decal stating something like "funded by the City of Calgary" since the mid 1990's.
This interconnection sometimes creates the notion that the City calls the shots for CHBA as it would for Calgary Housing Company or Enmax

As to why they are turning away from being a busing contractor, I refer you to their media release http://www.calgaryhandibus.com/news/news

In the charitable sector, there is a growing realization that charities have to be cautious about competing with similar entities (i.e. competing against other charities or even competing against the commercial sector). My interpretation of the release is: After 40 years of service, CHBA sees less of a need for a charity to provide the front-line transportation (as a contractor) when there are many contractors willing to step up.

From my view on the sidelines, I think the City would be better off in the long run by bring the larger buses (similar to what Calgary Handi-bus Association uses) in-house.

Deeper pockets to pay the specialized bus drivers, better communication between scheduling and driver (schedulers cannot talk directly to drivers in a contractor model) are some of the benefits. The City- run buses form a backbone of service hours and other contractors would carry the rest.

Red Deer and Lethbridge, brought their local charity operated buses in-house over the past decade (or so) -- it is not unusual. There once was an Edmonton Handi-bus Society... which dissolved when the city implemented commercial bus contractors. Then, around 2003? Edmonton brought the contracted buses in-house as a backbone of service (95 buses).

industry rumor:
Access Calgary was very surprized by the CHBA decision... but that is just a rumor
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #2043
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Could you, please, elaborate on this a bit. I volunteer with agencies providing services to the disabled and a lot of people relying on this service are scared. I would like to be able to explain to them what is going on.

Handi-Bus, Southland etc. are third-party contractors to Access Calgary (although, Handi–Bus is somewhat indirectly owned by the City, I thought) and they provide transportation services to the disabled based on a contract with Access Calgary. How and why would Handi–Bus NOT want to provide this service anymore? Provision of this service is their primary purpose. If the contract with Access Calgary is workable, they would continue providing it, not? The report in Calgary Herald was about the service being unsustainable and changes upcoming.
Handi-bus decided it wanted to stop being an operator and focus on advocacy and other support (I'd be speculating on their exact reasons why). The service provided by Handi-bus will be provided by someone else - either another contractor or by the City itself through Access Calgary. That may or may not include their staff and their current fleet of vehicles. That is all subject to discussions. Bottom line is, one way or another the service will continue. Nothing is yet set as to how.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #2044
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why, oh why has the city abandoned the hole it put in the left southbound side of the Bonnybrook Bridge? The work isn't even on the construction detour map but it's been closed for weeks.

Also, at what point does whatever terrible company that does streetlight light bulb replacement get a kick in the ass from administration?

Last edited by Barnes; 12-18-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #2045
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Also, at what point does whatever terrible company that does streetlight light bulb replacement get a kick in the ass from administration?

Enmax. Most of the burnt out light requests I submit to 311 online take way longer than 30 days to repair.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #2046
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year the media hammered Enmax for poor maintenance of the lighting system, but it doesn't seem to have improved things.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #2047
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Why, oh why has the city abandoned the hole it put in the left southbound side of the Bonnybrook Bridge? The work isn't even on the construction detour map but it's been closed for weeks.

RE: Bonnybrook Bridge
Yeah, the original signage said this was to be done Nov.24th, I believe. It has been down to one lane with no sign of work for weeks. What gives? The sign has since been altered to have no end date.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #2048
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope we find out more about this in the immediate future:

Quote:
City hall doesn’t need to name names in council’s apparent misconduct affair, but should shed more light on what “systemic problems” exist in the councillors’ office, one Calgary ethics watcher said Wednesday.

Earlier this week, Mayor Naheed Nenshi revealed that some undefined “systemic problems” were discovered in a probe that began with whistleblower’s complaint about something in the office of city councillors.

But that’s all the public knows about it. Council had agreed unanimously after its closed-door session that all members would undergo “respectful workplace” training and study further tools to handle conduct problems, including hiring an integrity commissioner.
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...rency-concerns
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #2049
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
...Bottom line is, one way or another the service will continue...
This is very re-assuring. Thanks for the clarification.

P.S. It would be great if the City could issue some kind of a public statement/message to that effect exactly to calm down the individuals that worry about losing this service.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #2050
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice slanket Josh
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #2051
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Nice slanket Josh
Occupational hazard having a picture tweeted out to 206,000 people wearing a Flames hybrid sweater-blanket.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #2052
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems to me the Handi-Bus people have a bit of an obligation (moral if not legal) to make sure all their donated buses continue providing that service. People donated them in good faith for that purpose, so if the city doesn't take them over, I think they should try and keep operating them, even if they stopped taking new bus donations.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #2053
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Are Chima and Nenshi an item? In his last speech in regards to him potentially winning Mayor of the World he said Chima's response was, "I can't live with you now."
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #2054
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Are Chima and Nenshi an item? In his last speech in regards to him potentially winning Mayor of the World he said Chima's response was, "I can't live with you now."
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #2055
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Chima, so hot right now.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #2056
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
I swear there are people in this city and province that so badly want him to be gay so they can call him out on it and judge his politics with his sexual preferences.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #2057
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want him to be gay because that would be awesome for Calgary to have a gay mayor of an ethnic minority. His politics speak for themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #2058
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 12-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #2059
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

When there's a possible reduction to municipal funding from the province on the horizon, why does Nenshi bring up infrastructure for cuts first. Seems like it's his favorite or easiest thing to cut. It has the fourth highest budget after the police, transit and fire department. I would leave the police budget alone. On a side note, if people pay for transit i don't get why we have to put so much money into it.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #2060
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ sorry, not sure what you mean.

Tags
ask me anything , nenshiisashill , purple