Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #1941
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah. The first line wasn't the problem this year. Would have liked to keep that in tact and have Lindholm as the second line centre. Not sure how coveted Ferland was but he has a unique skill set and while inconsistent he gets paid like an inconsistent player. Disappointed to lose him.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:28 PM   #1942
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
I would not be surprised if Ferland has more goals than Lindholm again this season.
Who is he playing with to get enough goals to do that?

I’d be pretty surprised. He was playing with two of the best to pot 20. There’s nobody like that in Carolina.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #1943
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sebastian Aho had 36 assists last year. Teuvo Teravainen had 41 assists. No reason Ferland can't help complete that line.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:39 PM   #1944
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
I would not be surprised if Ferland has more goals than Lindholm again this season.
I would be. I think there's more raw talent from Lindholm. Obviously it will depend on usage - what line each are on, powerplay or not, etc.

I don't know enough about the Canes lineup to slot Ferland in, but Ihad presumed he was going to be in a 3rd line role. Same place he would have been here had we brought in a legit first line RW and not traded him
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:45 PM   #1945
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
From watching Lindholm's little highlight package, I saw nothing like this ability to score from distance:

But around here everyone thinks Gaudreau was just getting Ferland wide open tap-ins.
Ferland's skill is severely underrated. I don't think he has hit his career high.

i think most NHL execs would take Lindholm over Ferland because like Peters says, Lindholm touches so many parts of the game.

Lindholm is much more consistent a player but I think Ferland has the higher skill when it comes to offense.

Flames fans who hate the trade keep overlooking the player control aspect. Ferland is UFA next season. Lindholm will be under multi year control. The hats the big thing for me that tips it in favour for the Flames, they get more controlled asset at a premium position.

I selfishly hope Ferland doesn't like it in Carolina and signs back in Cakgary next summer.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #1946
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Sebastian Aho had 36 assists last year. Teuvo Teravainen had 41 assists. No reason Ferland can't help complete that line.
Who do you suppose plays center on that line?
Old 06-28-2018, 09:38 PM   #1947
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Who do you suppose plays center on that line?
TT can play center. Not saying that will be a line but he has played Center.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:58 PM   #1948
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
TT can play center. Not saying that will be a line but he has played Center.
Barely, he and Aho combined have taken less face offs over the past two years (300 over 320 games) than Rask last season alone, who ranked 4th on the team in face offs with 390 in 70 games.

I wouldn’t count on TT taking over the #1 center role next season, and I don’t see Aho doing it either. Why put Ferland on that line when you could actually add a center (Staal, Rask, or a free agent) instead of forcing a fit.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:13 PM   #1949
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Barely, he and Aho combined have taken less face offs over the past two years (300 over 320 games) than Rask last season alone, who ranked 4th on the team in face offs with 390 in 70 games.

I wouldn’t count on TT taking over the #1 center role next season, and I don’t see Aho doing it either. Why put Ferland on that line when you could actually add a center (Staal, Rask, or a free agent) instead of forcing a fit.
You will find no arguement here. The Canes definitely could use an upgrade on 1C. Stall will most likely see some time up there but I wouldn't be surprised to see them experiment with TT at center.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 11:33 PM   #1950
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
You will find no arguement here. The Canes definitely could use an upgrade on 1C. Stall will most likely see some time up there but I wouldn't be surprised to see them experiment with TT at center.
Rask will be centre on that line. Ferland will be on the third line IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #1952
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well one of them is a bold faced F-ing liar then.

Pathetic
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #1953
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The answer fox gives is super vague. To me that makes it pretty clear he wasnt going to sign. Especially after tre all but confirmed it
FlamesNation23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #1954
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brutal
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #1955
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

It could be a situation where Treliving kept leaving him voice mails and Fox wasn't replying. Brad finally got the hint.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #1956
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Fox hasn’t said anything about his plans. His family advisor on the other hand...
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 12:30 PM   #1957
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

The story was that the agent said he wasn't going to sign, not Fox himself.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #1958
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
It could be a situation where Treliving kept leaving him voice mails and Fox wasn't replying. Brad finally got the hint.
Treliving was seen talking to Fox's advisor just before the draft. I think he got a clear message.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #1959
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well his name is Aaron to me now. I hope Aaron Fox doesn’t make it far with the canes and then bounces around 4 NHL clubs in 3 years before dwindling away in the AHL
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:35 PM   #1960
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's tough to say unless you were actually present during the conversations that were had.

On one hand you have Brad who said he openly had conversations with Adam directly after the season was over who politely declined going pro as he felt going back to school was better. This can be interpreted as:

a) He doesn't know yet if he wants to sign yet and wants another year to figure it out
b) He values his Harvard education and was going to see it through no matter what
c) He never talked to Brad at all about long term plans and just said going back to school

By saying he has "never said anything about his plans" followed by "But next year I'm definitely going back to school to take it day by day" I would wager that Brad's conversation with him was pretty quick, he clearly had to have talked about his plans in order to come to a decision that he was going to go back to school this year... its almost a silly comment followed by a lie in saying he never discussed anything. More so Brad never said Fox said he wouldn't sign with the Flames it was Fox's adviser so maybe he's the liar!

It's been confirmed that Brad spoke to Fox's adviser during the draft but was careful in how he reiterated the conversation as to avoid any direct "Adam said he wouldn't sign with us" remarks. Brad said it was becoming more clear that there was a possibility he would never sign with us and we felt they had to make action of that.

I'm not sure if someones actually "LYING" I think its more so someone's not being completely transparent as to what they actually said. I firmly believe Calgary was hoping to have Fox signed this year (clearly) and by Adam being adamant he wanted to go back to school for XYZ reasons the Flames started to question their chances of signing him.

Last edited by Royle9; 06-29-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote