Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2021, 09:50 AM   #1041
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Then why don't coaches do it more?
This is terrible logic. You know that, right?

"The coaches disagree with the math. Hmmmm...it's the math that must be wrong!"
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:26 AM   #1042
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
This is terrible logic. You know that, right?

"The coaches disagree with the math. Hmmmm...it's the math that must be wrong!"
Real games aren't Madden fellas. The data is based on a variety of different games and teams of varying strengths and weaknesses. Just because the computer says I have a 60% chance of making that play based on years of accumulated game data, doesn't mean it applies to any particular game. That data is useful but as always situationsal.
  • maybe I'm starting two backup offensive linemen
  • my starting QB is not elite and his accuracy has been off all day
  • my clutch receiver has a nagging leg injury and isn't at full speed
  • my short yardage back is out of the game
  • my opponent is a top 5 NFL defense today that's been causing issues for my offensive line
  • etc.
  • etc.

Every single NFL game played has its own unique circumstances and you just can't say that gambling on 4th down is right because and aggregate of different games says it's the right play otherwise we could just replace coaches with computers and have them spit out recommended plays like Madden.

You can take the make percentage of every 45 yard FG ever made and come out with odds of say 65% but that doesn't mean in your particular game that it's a 65% make because it could be outdoors, windy, and cold. Same applies to going for it on 4th down.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-20-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 11:05 AM   #1043
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

And yet you "very strongly believe" the Bills probably would have won if they kicked....ignoring the context of the game where the Titans were moving the ball at will in the second half, that the Bills defense was gassed, that the Titans had the timeouts to get a FG attempt in regulation, that the Bills might lose the toss and never see the ball in overtime, etc....

We all know stats on their own don't mean much. But in this context the choice was obvious: a first down very likely wins the game and a FG leaves it at a sub 50% chance. In general coaches in the NFL think avoiding worst case is better than trying to maximize best case. Thankfully that view is on it's way out, and it's part of why the NFL product is so good right now.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #1044
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Real games aren't Madden fellas. The data is based on a variety of different games and teams of varying strengths and weaknesses. Just because the computer says I have a 60% chance of making that play based on years of accumulated game data, doesn't mean it applies to any particular game. That data is useful but as always situationsal.
Okay, but that's not what you said. You said the proof that it's not a good idea is because more NFL coaches don't do it, which in of itself is a logical fallacy (a couple actually).
Old 10-20-2021, 12:16 PM   #1045
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, but that's not what you said. You said the proof that it's not a good idea is because more NFL coaches don't do it, which in of itself is a logical fallacy (a couple actually).
I think you need to give NFL head coaches a little more credit. Yes sometimes they make bad mistakes but most of them are the best in the world at their job and know what they are doing. While I feel most are still too conservative I totally understand why they just don't blindly follow statistical outcome models for important in-game decisions.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #1046
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whitney Mercilus to Green Bay, after being released by the Texans.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:04 PM   #1047
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rumor has it the Texans and Dolphins are at it in making a deal, with Deshaun Watson going to Miami.

Don’t have a source to post because they’re everywhere, from just these two trading and also rumors swirling around the idea of the Washington Football Team acquiring Tua Tagovailoa from the Dolphins, making this a potential 3-team blockbuster.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 04:20 PM   #1048
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a huge shock, was always the logical landing spot since Ross is apparently giddy at the prospect of Deshaun. Although makes far more sense for the Texans to wait until the offseason so there will be a bidding war, unless the Dolphins are severely overpaying.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #1049
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

really curious what the Texans can get for him at this point. Very difficult to gauge his value ... wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft pole right now with all the uncertainty around him. Miami must be desperate.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:14 PM   #1050
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

How often does a top 5 QB ever become available? Unless you are convinced he is getting a lifetime ban he will be back, and, unseemly as this might be to suggest, given his current situation you might be able to lock him down for a well below market deal with an extension. It's a ruthless business, but it's the way it is.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:44 PM   #1051
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watson needs to be suspended pending an investigation or resolution into these allegations.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:54 PM   #1052
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
A source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler on Wednesday that Mercilus was signing with the Packers. It comes two weeks after the Packers signed former Dallas Cowboys linebacker Jaylon Smith, who made his Green Bay debut on Sunday against the Bears.

Mercilus, who was released by the Texans on Tuesday after spending 10 seasons with that franchise, turned down more money elsewhere to join Green Bay's defense, the source said.

GB is just decimated on D......not sure what he has left but will be better than whats still around.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:36 PM   #1053
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Browns offence is battered too - no Chubb, no Hunt, both starting tackles out, OBJ and Landry hurt, Baker’s shoulder hanging by a thread.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:56 PM   #1054
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised they haven't shut Mayfield down for the year. A torn labrum is no joke. I get it's the non throwing shoulder, but still.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:28 AM   #1055
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
really curious what the Texans can get for him at this point. Very difficult to gauge his value ... wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft pole right now with all the uncertainty around him. Miami must be desperate.
Rumour yesterday on NFL radio is 3 x 1st round picks and a quality starter. Used to be 3 x 1st round pick and 2 x 2nd round pick. They don't want Tua either which means a 3rd team may be required.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:52 AM   #1056
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

if Caserio can land 3 1sts and a starter at this point, then hats off to him. The Fins do have the Niners picks plus whatever they can get for Tua, so I guess they can do this without it hurting them longtime. Still risky.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:16 AM   #1057
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing as the leaks about this are coming exclusively from Texans reporters there is also the very distinct possibility the Texans are putting this out there trying to drum up interest with the trade deadline two weeks away. I still can't imagine anyone trading serious value for a guy who is still in limbo. I know the Dolphins are desperate, but unless Ross orders this the GM/coach making the trade could in theory trade for a guy they never get to see on the field as they are likely gone after this year.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 10-21-2021 at 07:19 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:59 AM   #1058
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
We all know stats on their own don't mean much. But in this context the choice was obvious: a first down very likely wins the game and a FG leaves it at a sub 50% chance. In general coaches in the NFL think avoiding worst case is better than trying to maximize best case. Thankfully that view is on it's way out, and it's part of why the NFL product is so good right now.
Quote:
I think you need to give NFL head coaches a little more credit. Yes sometimes they make bad mistakes but most of them are the best in the world at their job and know what they are doing. While I feel most are still too conservative I totally understand why they just don't blindly follow statistical outcome models for important in-game decisions.
NFL coaches don't play to win, they play not to lose. And more importantly their decisions are often influenced in what can be thrown back at them if things don't work out. I hate it and Senator Clay Davis is hopefully right in that mindset is on the way out.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #1059
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congress getting involved in the WFT email scandal.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...email-scandal/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 05:26 PM   #1060
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Congress getting involved in the WFT email scandal.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...email-scandal/
This is going to be a death knell for some.

Guaranteed.