Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2020, 01:45 PM   #281
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
That's bull####. Someone who taxes the grid far less should pay less.
Most of the fees do scale with usage, when the meter broke at my house a few years back and reported 0 kWh usage, the electricity bill ended up being about $16.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:27 PM   #282
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Depends. Who's costing more to provide service to, the low usage guy who lives at the end of a 10 mile road and is the only service along that road or the one who lives next door to a substation but uses 10x more electricity?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:55 PM   #283
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone heard of Energy for Less? They claim to be significantly cheaper than Enmax but I don’t know anyone who has used them
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:53 PM   #284
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I logged into my enmax account to look at my fixed options given a monster Feb Bill. They had a "loyal customer" offering of 5.99 kWh so I jumped on that and locked in. Also got a $150 credit. Crunching the math I'm guessing it would have saved me $30 last month. Not huge but I'll take it.

So login in and check things out - they may have an offer for us RRO option types (which I left gas as)

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 03-21-2020 at 11:29 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #285
Camronius
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
So if you don’t drive often you shouldn’t have to pay for roads, got it.
Camronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:59 PM   #286
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camronius View Post
So if you don’t drive often you shouldn’t have to pay for roads, got it.
A big part of road budgets are supposed to come from fuel tax so the more you drive, then yeah, you pay more in taxes to use that road. Good example thank you!
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:11 PM   #287
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A big part of road budgets are supposed to come from fuel tax so the more you drive, then yeah, you pay more in taxes to use that road. Good example thank you!
It is a good example, just like the power example. Some of the costs are paid with a usage based tax and other parts of the cost are paid with collective taxation Independent of usage.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 04:59 PM   #288
Camronius
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I mean if your argument is that you'd prefer a tax on your per usage electricity consumption to supplement the build and maintenance of an essential service network, then sure I guess. I'm not sure to what extent you believe this would actually move the needle on your personal costs. I'd also be concerned about the management of the money when the collected tax is under or over based on usage.

It feels like (I could be wrong) you're putting the blame at the feet of the utility companies and I'm not sure that is where it should sit. Admin fees (since you referenced them earlier in your posts) are sized at the discretion of the utility provider, they are charged based on service. So when I say service, think of call centers, billing and other admin type activities, NOT distribution or network costs. In AB you're free to choose any provider, so if you don't like the service related items you are receiving in proportion to their cost, you can shop around for who provides the best service for your dollar. I think admin fees are typically 5-10 bucks per location/month.

In terms of distribution and tariff's (which is where I feel your issue sits) this is regulated across the province by the governing bodies and is not controlled by your utility providers. Your distribution costs will be the same calculations regardless of your provider. As mentioned you could argue to move to a usage based tax for distribution, but you should also keep in mind that you will be re-taxed back in some form for any government building/service that also needs to pay the new usage tax. Also keep in mind increases to any commercial service likely means a charge back by way of some product margin...

Personally, to me it sounds like a lot of outrage for minimal change to you as an individual. Obviously just my opinion though.
Camronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:57 PM   #289
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know if any of the service providers are offering any good promos right now? My Enmax rate plan expired a few months ago but they kept me on the same plan until May 17, 2020. They are offering me a three year plan at 5.99c/kwh and gas at the floating rate +99c/gj. Are there better options out there right now?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 02:05 PM   #290
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've been meaning to analyze sponsor energy. My neighbour who was in the power business used to go with them, he liked that you can direct a portion of your bill to charity and he said their rates were good. Haven't done the work myself, has anyone on here had any experience with them?
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:40 PM   #291
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I logged into my enmax account to look at my fixed options given a monster Feb Bill. They had a "loyal customer" offering of 5.99 kWh so I jumped on that and locked in. Also got a $150 credit. Crunching the math I'm guessing it would have saved me $30 last month. Not huge but I'll take it.

So login in and check things out - they may have an offer for us RRO option types (which I left gas as)
I just called in to ask if theyd give me the same thing, they gave me the fixed 5.99 but not the 150$ credit she said you mustve had a really old account with promos and rewards on it that has expired since, but thanks for the info! saves me a bit of money
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #292
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My latest utility bill reports my water use more than double it’s ever been, including this time last years. I am watering the lawn frequently as I reseeded, it I also did that last year.

Anyone ever have an error on this, and was it an easy resolution? I just can’t see how I could have used so much water in the states period.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:21 AM   #293
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you checked for leaky toilets? Is your water meter ticking even when nothing is using it? If I have a faucet dribbling, I can occasionally see the white triangle in the middle jiggle and move, so you should be able to notice if you have a phantom leak. I have heard the meters can have issues, and they will look into it. But don't underestimate how much watering a lawn uses. It's bonkers.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #294
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Have you checked for leaky toilets? Is your water meter ticking even when nothing is using it? If I have a faucet dribbling, I can occasionally see the white triangle in the middle jiggle and move, so you should be able to notice if you have a phantom leak. I have heard the meters can have issues, and they will look into it. But don't underestimate how much watering a lawn uses. It's bonkers.
This. It's the best way to get a gauge on whether you have a leak.

Second, does the City still do estimates on meter readings or are they 100% actual now? Perhaps your last bill was an estimate and they are catching up now with an actual reading?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:08 PM   #295
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

My mom had an issue in December (i.e. no yard maintenance), where her bill had her usage at about 10 times normal. I called Enmax and they basically checked it, did two readings and then took her bill back to normal. There must have been something wrong though, because we checked her place for leaks and such and there wasn't anything notable at all.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:37 AM   #296
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump

Electricity rates are up to 10 cents. Current three year rate is at 6.79 and am considering ending my current locked in rate and locking in again. I don’t want to end up with a nasty electricity bill.

Does anybody know a good up to date website that shows current rates. I could call in for rates each time but am hoping there’s a better quicker way.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:42 AM   #297
Discoste
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Bump

Electricity rates are up to 10 cents. Current three year rate is at 6.79 and am considering ending my current locked in rate and locking in again. I don’t want to end up with a nasty electricity bill.

Does anybody know a good up to date website that shows current rates. I could call in for rates each time but am hoping there’s a better quicker way.
https://ucahelps.alberta.ca/default.aspx

You can also use the cost comparison tool to browse all the retailers that provide energy services. For electric, the distribution fees should be the same across the board, so watch the admin fee.

Last edited by Discoste; 02-02-2021 at 08:46 AM.
Discoste is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Discoste For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 09:22 AM   #298
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Call Enmax and get their 5.99 rate from the other thread.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2021, 12:17 PM   #299
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anybody else think this new atco deal is worth it?

https://www.atco.com/en-ca/for-home/...advantage.html
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:33 PM   #300
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Anybody else think this new atco deal is worth it?

https://www.atco.com/en-ca/for-home/...advantage.html
Without looking into too much detail on if there is a hidden mark up on Enmaxs floating rates Enmax charges 7.10 per service plus 1$ per GJ on floating and 1 cent per kWh on electricity.

So at .59 cents per day per service that’s 17.70 per month. So the break even point is about 10GJ or 1000kwh.

Which for me is a no go for electricity and marginal on gas. But you would need to look closer if the wholesale price from Atco is lower than the floating price from enmax.

Last edited by GGG; 02-19-2021 at 02:31 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: