Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Was the suspension length
Too leniant 6 1.15%
Just right 133 25.43%
Too severe 384 73.42%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #81
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

More than I thought he would get.

Flames will look bad outside this market for appealing.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #82
InBurkeWeTrust
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Was thinking 10-15.. 20 is crazy
Old 02-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #83
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
If it was an accident he would've shown some concern for Henderson. Absolutely agree with the decision. Won't demonize Wideman for one momentary lapse of judgment, it shouldn't define him, but he deserves the suspension and the officials deserve a workplace free of the threat of violence, like all of us do.
Green text? A workplace free of violence?

You tell me the last time an NHL player stopped in the middle of play to help an opponent or official and then I'll blame Wideman. It never, ever happens. Ever.

Not to mention Wideman did apologize and if anything him not stopping the play and embarrassing himself shows he didn't think it was a big deal. Honestly, imagine how much he gets ridiculed if Henderson is fine and he takes a penalty. We'd have mercilessly ripped him a new one for being a ##### and an idiot for taking a too many men penalty.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #84
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

And yet when a player concusses an opponent with a deliberate dirty hit the NHL might throw a 3 game suspension at them. Something doesnt add up here.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #85
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jumps into the linesman before contact, follows through with both arms, and like Wideman shows no concern afterward for the linesman's health. 0 games.

No doubt Wideman's is worse, but how is that a 20-game difference in punishment.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #86
JohnnyT
Scoring Winger

Exp:

NHL likely went with twenty to appease the referees Union and then let it go to independent arbitration so if it goes get reduced the NHL can wipe they're hands and tell the refs that they were with them.

Just look at coaches challenges being done by the refs still because they "don't want another part of the game taken away from them." Despite GMs and fans complaining about how slow the reviews are and not taking advantage of the technology in the command centre. There was no way the NHL was going to risk backlash from the refs with this suspension
Old 02-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #87
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

meh, I'm fine with it. If it was a player on another team, I'm guessing no one would have any issues with it. I don't believe he wanted to attack the linesman, but he did it, so ...
Old 02-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #88
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got what I figured
Old 02-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #89
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was what I was bracing for - debatable yes, but there is not a clear cut defence that it was unintentional, and the NHL is also thinking about the precedent implications this decision will have. They are clearly sending a message that any abuse of officials, even if such abuse is in a somewhat grey area, will not be tolerated.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #90
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Crappy for the Flames insofar as they can't deal him at the deadline
Is that true? I honestly have no idea.

Wideman has a year left so probably won't be an issue anyways but looking at the Detroit option people have been talking about I wonder if it can still happen. If a team doesn't mind taking on a suspended player I can't see it being an issue. It would be less money the Wings would have to pay him this season too.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #91
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

i really hope this doesn't affect brad treliving's upcoming deadline decision on russel

is your cat doing singing?
Old 02-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #92
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Flames go 14-6 over the next 20.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #93
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shocking. And wrong, in my opinion.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #94
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Unless your name is Lucic. Or Muzzin. Or Weber. Or Joseph. Or any number of other examples.

Same punishment as Todd Bertuzzi. I suppose there is some crazy inflation calculation over 10 years that I am missing.
Yeah, I had to throw in the or most to cover my ass. I think it is a silly amount of games compared to other acts.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #95
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
I find it funny some people still think he'll get off without being suspended any games. For it to go through Bettman then to a neutral arbitrator, it'll take at least 1-2 weeks (if it's very expedited) and he'd have already missed a number of games. And there are many examples of suspensions when players have made contact with a ref or have pulled away with force from a ref. The precedent isn't 0 games. With an appeal, it's not all or nothing. 20 games set the bar high and he'll be lucky to argue it down to 10 games.
Can you cite these suspensions? There are a ton of clips of refs getting clobbered by players and getting nothing because it was deemed an accident. Can't think of any that were suspended.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #96
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I can't see him getting more than about 6 after appeal. He can't possibly get more than Carcillo. What Justification would the NHL have?
Old 02-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #97
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Nope, I think he will lose any appeal too. The NHL obviously saw the same thing as I did when you look at the entire picture. I think they got it right.
I don't think so. I feel that gets reduced by independent arbitrator.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #98
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehkara View Post
He did show concern. Once Wideman had his wits about him again he went and apologized to Henderson.
He never lost his wits at all, he took a stinger to the shoulder and neck, he originally said as much. I am sure he meant the apology and I am sure there was no premeditation in the act but everything seems to indicate he lost control and he crosschecked the linesman, I have zero doubt at this point that is what happened. He never should have went into that hearing and changed his story to being woozy after all because he absolutely destroyed any credibility he had for his original argument, that it was incidental contact and that was all.
I think if he sticks with his original story he gets 10, I think because the NHL caught him in a lie to try and get them to go easy on him they threw the book at him and rightfully so.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #99
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I can't see him getting more than about 6 after appeal. He can't possibly get more than Carcillo. What Justification would the NHL have?
There's the video of him skating in the direction of the linesman and then hammering him. I would guess they have that justification.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #100
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Green text? A workplace free of violence?

You tell me the last time an NHL player stopped in the middle of play to help an opponent or official and then I'll blame Wideman. It never, ever happens. Ever.

Not to mention Wideman did apologize and if anything him not stopping the play and embarrassing himself shows he didn't think it was a big deal. Honestly, imagine how much he gets ridiculed if Henderson is fine and he takes a penalty. We'd have mercilessly ripped him a new one for being a ##### and an idiot for taking a too many men penalty.
He was right beside the bench door.
A good person would have helped Henderson up to his feet and then went to the bench. It would have taken 2 seconds and would not have been an embarrassment to Wideman. Then I would have a better impression of his situation.

Last edited by craigwd; 02-03-2016 at 01:04 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread