Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #601
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

This is an interesting read.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1089201557361618944
Old 01-26-2019, 09:18 PM   #602
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Nice attitude Jack. Tennis won't miss you if you decide to stop playing.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:34 PM   #603
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Nice attitude Jack. Tennis won't miss you if you decide to stop playing.
Does anyone watch doubles? Also they don't make nearly as much money,. The only way to fix it is to have big names participate but then that takes away spots for other doubles players.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:51 PM   #604
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Does anyone watch doubles? Also they don't make nearly as much money,. The only way to fix it is to have big names participate but then that takes away spots for other doubles players.
And there's no way that's going to happen as the season is already too long and grueling for the top guys who focus on singles.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:00 PM   #605
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
And there's no way that's going to happen as the season is already too long and grueling for the top guys who focus on singles.
The last time I watched doubles was when Nadal won the gold for Spain and honestly it was pretty good. The problem is it's almost never on TV so I don't know any of the players. I agree the season is already way too long. I have no other idea how to make it more popular but they have been trying for a while.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:54 AM   #606
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joker with an early break (first service game for Rafa).
Old 01-27-2019, 02:23 AM   #607
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Novak takes the first set 6-3 losing only one point on his serve.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:00 AM   #608
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Djokovic is unplayable right now. It's insane.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:03 AM   #609
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joker takes the second set 6-2 and Rafa doesn't have any answers. PVR will take care of the rest of this match.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:08 AM   #610
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

To think this guy spent two full years of his peak wandering the desert of injury and personal issues...every player has their kryptonite, but for Djoker, it’s only ever been himself.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:01 AM   #611
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reminded me of that Fed-Djokovic SF in 2016 when Novak just blasted Roger off the court, the fact Roger even eked out a set was only due to Novak taking a little walkabout in that match. Novak's little desert wandering might be the only thing that keeps him from being the undisputed GOAT. I think he eliminated Nadal from consideration tonight, and if he wins his second Novak slam come Roland Garros, I think he's even with Roger. One of the more flawless performances the sport has seen given the quality of the opposition, even with Nadal's easy as pie draw he still was in only one tiebreak the whole tournament and won every set before tonight. Novak made him look like a mid-200's player tonight.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:41 AM   #612
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that was unexpected and disappointing. Novak is the greatest Australian Open player of all time, Nadal just didn't have it today. Credit to Novak no one was going to beat him tonight. Well, 2 more tournaments until clay season starts.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #613
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Reminded me of that Fed-Djokovic SF in 2016 when Novak just blasted Roger off the court, the fact Roger even eked out a set was only due to Novak taking a little walkabout in that match. Novak's little desert wandering might be the only thing that keeps him from being the undisputed GOAT. I think he eliminated Nadal from consideration tonight, and if he wins his second Novak slam come Roland Garros, I think he's even with Roger. One of the more flawless performances the sport has seen given the quality of the opposition, even with Nadal's easy as pie draw he still was in only one tiebreak the whole tournament and won every set before tonight. Novak made him look like a mid-200's player tonight.
I guess if we are eliminating people from the GOAT conversation based on one poor match we should also eliminate Fed after he lost 6-1,6-3,6-0 in the French Open final or Novak after he lost to Cecchinato at last year's French Open?
Old 01-27-2019, 11:29 AM   #614
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rafa fans can be happy that Rafa on clay is the most unbeatable thing in sports history. That's a really nice title to have. But Novak's career is far more complete and at its peak far more dominant than Nadal. Federer's peak is the only thing in the same realm as Novak's. So for me it's down to those two for the GOAT and if Novak has two Novak Slams then how can you deny him? Nadal has only ever blown away a top player like that on clay. Roger and Novak do it on every surface.

Also clay sucks, and we all know it, so sadly negative tennis returns in two tournaments. Yaaaawn.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #615
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind clay. It separates those that have good footwork and can hit good ground strokes on forehand and backhand from the players that can just serve bombs all day.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:50 PM   #616
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bianca Andreescu seals the deal winning the tourney in Newport Beach over Jessica Pegula (the daughter of Sabres owner Terry Pegula) 0-6 6-4 6-2.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #617
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some fine tennis by Bianca over the last few months...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1089613740260024320
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #618
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty good day for Canadians thus far...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1089617543067664384
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #619
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Rafa fans can be happy that Rafa on clay is the most unbeatable thing in sports history. That's a really nice title to have. But Novak's career is far more complete and at its peak far more dominant than Nadal. Federer's peak is the only thing in the same realm as Novak's. So for me it's down to those two for the GOAT and if Novak has two Novak Slams then how can you deny him? Nadal has only ever blown away a top player like that on clay. Roger and Novak do it on every surface.

Also clay sucks, and we all know it, so sadly negative tennis returns in two tournaments. Yaaaawn.
The Men's tennis GOAT debate is so interesting to me and I think we can't determine a winner until there careers have played out. IMO I think all 3 have a legitimate claim and I hope it stays unambiguous so we can continue for years to talk about the careers of these 3 Kings because they deserved it. For me it's still Roger but your right how can you not give it to Novak if he wins the French Open this year. He looks unbeatable at the moment, someone has to unthaw the Stanimal to take him out.
Nadal winning 11 French Open titles should be a positive point for the debate. Nothing stopped Roger from winning 11 Wimbledon titles or Novak from doing the same in Australia. Fact is Nadal has tied Margaret Court for most titles at one Grand Slam and she did it when basically only Australians participated. To win the same tournament 11 times is impossible and he's done it three different tournaments and one was a Grand Slam.
One day soon they will all be retired so if Nadal finishes with less slams than Novak and Roger, he's still won 17 and when his careeer started was more than I imagined and I'm at peace with that, but a dozen French Open titles would be nice
Old 01-27-2019, 02:38 PM   #620
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't mind clay. It separates those that have good footwork and can hit good ground strokes on forehand and backhand from the players that can just serve bombs all day.
But the dudes that only have bomb serves aren’t really winning that much off clay either. There’s the odd one like Isner in Miami last year, but for the most part you need an exceptional all around game to take home a Masters or higher trophy these days. There’s a reason Milos, Anderson, etc. have a hard ceiling that will keep them from the Majors list.

If Nole decides he really wants that 2nd FO title, that’ll at least inject a bit of intrigue into a tournament that otherwise is just two weeks for Rafa to practice his speech.
Closed Thread