Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #41
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Really?

Sounds like something a Sorkin fan would say to sound smart.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #42
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Really?

Sounds like something a Sorkin fan would say to sound smart.
Sound smart?

Are action movies based on reality? Not that I'm aware of.
Is Sorkin's style of dialogue based on reality? Also not that I'm aware of.

I do find them both entertaining though. I don't know how mentioning an article that compared his writing to an action movie was supposed to make me look smart.

I also think the fact that I'm even responding to your post, which is really nothing more than an attempt to troll me with your Sorkin "fan(boy)" shtick, is really just more proof that I am not here to make myself look smart.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #43
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

I love the tone of the show and am glad Sorkin has decided to go at it with this type of pace and what some people describe as "being talked down to". I'd rather Sorkin not pull any punches and offend some people with how he writes this show. I also don't see how someone could feel talked down to, unless they actually buy into what network news stations are doing in the states or the shape that America is in right now. If people feel it lecturing the point to much, I can understand that but I feel it's important for the show to keep pounding away at what it's about.

I thought it be incredibly hard to top such a strong pilot but episode 2 was even stronger. Much more focus on the characters themselves and setting the scene for the rest of the season really well. Jeff Daniels seems like perfect casting.

And trying to avoid what people are calling Sorkin fans as elitists, I would ask for the people who didn't like the show, if they were fans of Sorkin's work before?

Last edited by flames_1987; 07-02-2012 at 11:04 PM.
flames_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #44
Hells Bells
First Line Centre

Exp:

Every show has its boring moments though. I'll admit some of my favourite shows had some very boring moments and sometimes it can last from an episode to half a season.

If I stopped watching these shows after being bored, I'd no longer be watching Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead or Boardwalk Empire.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #45
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

i want to bone the english bird big time.

good show too.
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:10 AM   #46
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love this show.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #47
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_1987 View Post
And trying to avoid what people are calling Sorkin fans as elitists, I would ask for the people who didn't like the show, if they were fans of Sorkin's work before?
I'm a huge fan of Sorkin when he is adapting other peoples work. Charlie Wilson's War, The Social Network, Moneyball are all great films. I've watched Social Network and Moneyball more times then I can count,.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #48
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
I'm a huge fan of Sorkin when he is adapting other peoples work. Charlie Wilson's War, The Social Network, Moneyball are all great films. I've watched Social Network and Moneyball more times then I can count,.
funny because i find the dialogue in The Newsroom to be very similar to the Social Network, especially for Mark Zuckerberg
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #49
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. The Social Network was, to my mind, the best movie in come out in years, just an amazing film. The Newsroom (granted I haven’t seen the second episode yet) doesn’t hold a candle in any regard. Someone brought up the pacing earlier in this thread and I realized that’s exactly what I was trying to say in my original post. The pacing of this show is just off.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #50
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't watched the second episode yet, but I have to agree with the criticisms of the first episode. I enjoyed it, but it really did feel like Sorkin was getting way too preachy (and I typically agree with his political views!). I hope that is toned down as the show progresses.

My other big complaint: how did those journalists and producers become experts in all things related to off-shore drilling so quickly? That didn't seem at all realistic to me.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #51
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

Havng watched the 2nd episode last night, I'm more than sad that there are only 4 left in the season - there's something about a well-written Sorkin show that just leaves you wanting more. I really enjoyed the contrast from last week's debut to this week - seeing the imperfection in this new team cause rather believable cluster####s was very fun tv. Allison Pill really shone this week and I'm loving her interaction with the guy who plays the senior producer.

Jeff Daniels is pitch perfect in this role - so hard to believe he was Harry from Dumb & Dumber some days.

And March - I think they become expert enuf as they have multiple people looking at different angles on off-shore drilling and feeding them to the producers & on-air media. At least that's what I'd guess happens when a real disaster/crisis occurs in actual newsrooms anyways. Also, don't forget these are news junkies - they likely are much more involved generally in a wide variety of topics that allows them to dive in more quickly than most folks. It wasn't totally implausible to me anyways....

Last edited by JerzeeGirl; 07-03-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: I'm a dumb@ss...thanks to MarchHare for pointing that one out.
JerzeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #52
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bill Pullman is pitch perfect in this role - so hard to believe he was Harry from Dumb & Dumber some days.
Do you mean Jeff Daniels?

Quote:
And March - I think they become expert enuf as they have multiple people looking at different angles on off-shore drilling and feeding them to the producers & on-air media. At least that's what I'd guess happens when a real disaster/crisis occurs in actual newsrooms anyways. Also, don't forget these are news junkies - they likely are much more involved generally in a wide variety of topics that allows them to dive in more quickly than most folks. It wasn't totally implausible to me anyways....
As written, they were making all kinds of claims with a level of understanding of the situation that only an engineer or geologist would have within minutes of learning of the story when details were still very sketchy. Both my wife and I immediately commented that it seemed very unrealistic that journalists and producers would have that breadth of knowledge so quickly after learning of the explosion/spill. I read several reviews of the first episode that also raised the same point.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #53
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
As written, they were making all kinds of claims with a level of understanding of the situation that only an engineer or geologist would have within minutes of learning of the story when details were still very sketchy. Both my wife and I immediately commented that it seemed very unrealistic that journalists and producers would have that breadth of knowledge so quickly after learning of the explosion/spill. I read several reviews of the first episode that also raised the same point.
Good enuf - it didn't stress my disbelief too much but I won't pretend to know what could/would happen in that situation either.

Thanks for pointing out my stupid mistake there too, re: Jeff Daniels vs Bill Pullman...it's a good thing my head is attached today apparently.
JerzeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #54
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
funny because i find the dialogue in The Newsroom to be very similar to the Social Network, especially for Mark Zuckerberg
As I said earlier the pacing in Social Network is brilliant and is what the Newsroom is missing. The dialogue is of course similar but Newsroom is all Sorkin and when its all Sorkin It's basically all words. Social Network and Moneyball had these quiet moments of pause that were beautiful.

The 2nd episode is on the pvr, not saying It's a bad show but not one I'm rushing to watch either.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #55
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

I don't see anything changing if people did not like the first two episodes, while I'm fine with objectively viewing each episode, I would hope that the people who don't like it, just stop watching it, before it becomes a show to watch just to criticize on here.
flames_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #56
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeeGirl View Post
Havng watched the 2nd episode last night, I'm more than sad that there are only 4 left in the season - there's something about a well-written Sorkin show that just leaves you wanting more.
The first season is 10 episodes so there are still eight to go. Plus it's been renewed for a second season.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #57
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some people are calling it preachy while I'd call it challenging. I think it's challenging people to demand better news and be less formulaic. The comment on "What did the other stations lead with?" in episode 1 made me chuckle. Evey news station is pretty much the same and it would be nice to watch some real news instead of the "Best and cheapest way to keep sponsors."

Is this show ground breaking? I don't thinks so, but it's good for what it is. A drama about reporting the news. It's about peoples interaction in a high stress environment. Unfortunately, it's also about "relationships" and sexual tension between Bill Pullman Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer. It's the only part I am not enjoying. I think there are enough elements for conflict without having the ex-girlfriend involved as well. I'll watch it. I try to give a show 3-5 episodes to fine tuning. For example, you can't judge Spartacus on the first 2 episodes. It needed the nudity just to get people to tune in before it got better!
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #58
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

The difference between The Newsroom and The Social Network is the difference between a five year old and a concert pianist playing chop sticks on the piano. The notes are the same but the flow and delivery is completely different.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #59
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Do you mean Jeff Daniels?

this is what I meant by unrealistic. No way a group of journalists would be oil and gas experts. It was ridiculous what they knew particularly within seconds of the disaster.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #60
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

This show is great. It's had me go back and watch the West Wing for more Sorkin goodness.

This is something CP should appreciate:
http://devour.com/video/sorkinisms/
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote