Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #221
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lots of loose ends to wrap up next week. Really glad that they're going out with a bang.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:31 PM   #222
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

2 episodes left. Not sure how I lost count.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #223
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMileDJ View Post
2 episodes left. Not sure how I lost count.
For some reason I thought we were down to one more as well. Just checked Wikipedia to confirm and had to laugh at the title of the last episode - "What Kind of Day Has It Been?". For those we don't know that's the title Sorkin used for the season one finale on Sports Night and The West Wing and it was the series finale episode for Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #224
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jeepers. 1 episode left.

I was ligitamently shocked that Charlie died. But now I think I know how they're going to wrap this all up.

They're all going to quit. Why? They don't like the new direction the station is going. Charlie was their moral compass.

Just a guess.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #225
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And it's done.

I'm glad the final episode didn't leave any unanswered questions. But at the same time, I found the episode a little boring and rushed.

However, the door has been left wide open for it to be picked up again or continued.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #226
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It was a great show. Well-written, thought-provoking, entertaining. I'll miss it.

"His religion was decency, and he spent his life fighting its enemies." What a line. Would that we could all have that said at our funerals.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Goon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #227
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

It had the potential to be a great show, but Sorkin's insistence on making it a relationship soap opera ruined it. At least the finale was pretty good
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:21 AM   #228
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed all three seasons, sad to see it end so soon, but the last episode was well done wasn't expecting a final episode like that, but it was done well.
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #229
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Surprised there was as much love for the last half season here as there was. Not saying I didn't like it, (I did, though I don't think as much as some) but it certainly got hammered a lot all over the net.

In particular their handling of the 'rape debate' got them scores of negative press, and I can't say I really disagree with it. It was sloppy, did not give the story the attention it deserved, and seemed rather harsh and backwards at points. They shoulda just steered well away from that topic, but they took what they thought was a moral stance on it, and it ended up kinda immoral.

As for me, it was always the overuse of relationship drama that knocked down the show from the true potential it had, as many here have also posted. I'll take Will and MacKenzie fine, as it does kinda relate to the central plotline (or at least canon) of the story. But far too much about Jim and Maggie, and their side interests. Don and Sloan were ok and even a little interesting but that may be because, as I read somewhere, it wasn't slammed down our throat every week.

The whole series I got excited when they'd talk about the stories, or the nuances of running (trying to run?) a moral news broadcast. And let down when the actors started going on about their love lives.

It had a decent wrap up. But it was as expected given the first two seasons. Nothing more. And it probably saved some face leaving early, I think their sometimes condescending tone would have alienated a lot more viewers than it already did as the show went on.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #230
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I finally finished the Newsroom earlier this week.

I'm with Daradon. I thought the last 3 episodes weren't very good. I thought the finale in particular was pretty weak... just too pollyanna for me, particularly with everything working out for everyone. I chuckled when one of the characters even remarked the same.

All in all I thought it was a pretty uneven show.

I'm not that familiar with Sorkin but I'm not as big a fan of his dialogue as most. Every single character is the same in the way they talk: quick-witted, hyper articulate, a touch condescending, and speaking at the same clip. It works for some characters - Will McAvoy and the Jane Fonda character for example. It doesn't work for all. It's also odd that almost every character seems to think they reside on some higher, insightful ground. Again, it works for some characters, but they can't all be like that.

I actually didn't mind the romance aspects. I think those are inevitable in workplace dramas. I think the reason it felt overloaded though was again because of the character similarities.

Casting was a bit off as well I thought. Some were unpredictably good - Emily Mortimer and Sam Waterston for example. Some were (un)predictably bad - Olivia Munn and Allison Pill for example.

Despite all this, it was worth a watch I thought. I like that they tried to do something different as a format and as a theme.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #231
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I finally finished the Newsroom earlier this week.

I'm with Daradon. I thought the last 3 episodes weren't very good. I thought the finale in particular was pretty weak... just too pollyanna for me, particularly with everything working out for everyone. I chuckled when one of the characters even remarked the same.

All in all I thought it was a pretty uneven show.

I'm not that familiar with Sorkin but I'm not as big a fan of his dialogue as most. Every single character is the same in the way they talk: quick-witted, hyper articulate, a touch condescending, and speaking at the same clip. It works for some characters - Will McAvoy and the Jane Fonda character for example. It doesn't work for all. It's also odd that almost every character seems to think they reside on some higher, insightful ground. Again, it works for some characters, but they can't all be like that.

I actually didn't mind the romance aspects. I think those are inevitable in workplace dramas. I think the reason it felt overloaded though was again because of the character similarities.

Casting was a bit off as well I thought. Some were unpredictably good - Emily Mortimer and Sam Waterston for example. Some were (un)predictably bad - Olivia Munn and Allison Pill for example.

Despite all this, it was worth a watch I thought. I like that they tried to do something different as a format and as a theme.

I felt Olivia Munn was one of the greatest surprises of the whole show. I thought her comedic timing was great.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post: