Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2021, 03:01 PM   #361
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
red, you gotta get over this 'jump other players from behind' crap. its a terrible f&*%ing take. Full stop.

Watch the video. While Panarin absolutely does contact him from behind, he is in contact with Wilson for a full 5 seconds before getting tossed, which means this was not some sort of instinctual reaction. additionally, watch closely, i challenge you to find even one frame where you can see Panarin attempt to hit or grab at Wilson in anything other than a hug restraint. I saw none.

What I did see what a player attempting to slow down the scrum and then getting tossed around for it. One player is a skill player not regularly in scrums or fights and the other has a history of out of bounds play. Yet, you are going to keep going on and on with your jumped from behind BS?
Well, he had a choice to skate away. No?
It's not BS. He attacked Wilson for the punch. Is that not what happened?
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:07 PM   #362
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Well, he had a choice to skate away. No?
It's not BS. He attacked Wilson for the punch. Is that not what happened?
No thats not what happened. As is hockey scrum tradition, he tried to lock up with someone to simplify the scrum. You can see it several more times in that very same video. Wilson was going after an already engaged and down on the ice teammate. It looks pretty obvious that Panarin was simply trying to lock down an opponent and keep the scrum on the ice between 2 people. As I mentioned, that is pretty well backed up by the fact that Panarin makes no attempt to hit, facewash, or anything else. Just lock him up with a hug. He is trying to restrain, not attack. There's a big difference.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:16 PM   #363
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wilson is garbage and should be banned permanently.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 03:18 PM   #364
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
No thats not what happened. As is hockey scrum tradition, he tried to lock up with someone to simplify the scrum. You can see it several more times in that very same video. Wilson was going after an already engaged and down on the ice teammate. It looks pretty obvious that Panarin was simply trying to lock down an opponent and keep the scrum on the ice between 2 people. As I mentioned, that is pretty well backed up by the fact that Panarin makes no attempt to hit, facewash, or anything else. Just lock him up with a hug. He is trying to restrain, not attack. There's a big difference.
He jumped on Wilson as Wilson was on the top of the pile up. Sort of like Kobasew did in 04 and missed LOL. Why he did that? Who cares? When I feel a guy jump on my back I will feed him his lunch. Good on Panarin, but seriously, what did he think was going to happen there? Of course Wilson would be shoving and punching anybody and everybody in the way.

Just an unfortunate end result, but scrams like that aren't exactly that rare. It's still the NHL isn't it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 03:19 PM   #365
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Wilson is garbage and should be banned permanently.
Well, the entire fan base outside of Calgary thinks the same of Matthew Tkachuk.

Hot takes.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:26 PM   #366
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, the entire fan base outside of Calgary thinks the same of Matthew Tkachuk.

Hot takes.
No they don't.
People hate Tkachuk as a pest you love to hate but want on your team.
People hate Wilson as pure scum you'd never want on your team and don't even respect as a person.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 03:31 PM   #367
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Some here would love Wilson on the Flames. And many other team's fans would too. Most certainly GMs would line up.
We had many flip on Bertuzzi and Marchment when they became Flames. And they were crappy players at that time. Nature of the beast.

I don't watch Wsh much so I don't know much about him other than the suspensions. He is a good player.
Maybe he is good in the community
Old 05-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #368
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
He jumped on Wilson as Wilson was on the top of the pile up. Sort of like Kobasew did in 04 and missed LOL. Why he did that? Who cares? When I feel a guy jump on my back I will feed him his lunch. Good on Panarin, but seriously, what did he think was going to happen there? Of course Wilson would be shoving and punching anybody and everybody in the way.

Just an unfortunate end result, but scrams like that aren't exactly that rare. It's still the NHL isn't it?
Once again, not actually what happened. Panarin didn't jump on him. He locked him up from behind and Wilson lifted him onto his back. And again, the reason Panarin engaged is because Wilson was cowardly throwing punches at someone engaged with another player on the ice. Wilson made bout 8 gutless choices in that whole incident, and yet Panarin is the attacker for simply trying to lock a guy up? Your take makes zero sense.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:39 PM   #369
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Once again, not actually what happened. Panarin didn't jump on him. He locked him up from behind and Wilson lifted him onto his back. And again, the reason Panarin engaged is because Wilson was cowardly throwing punches at someone engaged with another player on the ice. Wilson made bout 8 gutless choices in that whole incident, and yet Panarin is the attacker for simply trying to lock a guy up? Your take makes zero sense.
As an aside it's kind of funny seeing someone watch a 10-second altercation well-captured on video and just have the most bizarre, nonsensical take, including mentioning things that never happened, misordering events, and being totally unable to understand the events that did happen in the context they happened.

It's like trying to hear someone remember the events a movie they watched 20 years ago. But it's a 10-second video clip they watched... literally minutes ago. The mind is a fascinating (and terrifying) thing lol.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 03:45 PM   #370
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
As an aside it's kind of funny seeing someone watch a 10-second altercation well-captured on video and just have the most bizarre, nonsensical take, including mentioning things that never happened, misordering events, and being totally unable to understand the events that did happen in the context they happened.

It's like trying to hear someone remember the events a movie they watched 20 years ago. But it's a 10-second video clip they watched... literally minutes ago. The mind is a fascinating (and terrifying) thing lol.
Funny indeed. Go back to page 1. Watch the video and give me your version of what is happening at 12 sec.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:48 PM   #371
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Gently positioned himself so he could hump Wilson in least offensive way.

You ever hear about guys getting jumped? Here's a secret for you, no jumping involved.

Yikes the mental gymnastics here...
Old 05-06-2021, 04:03 PM   #372
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Some here would love Wilson on the Flames.
Not a chance. He's a flat out dirty player that gloats when purposely hurting guys. POS player that needs to be punted out of the league for good.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 04:04 PM   #373
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gently positioned himself so he could hump Wilson in least offensive way.

You ever hear about guys getting jumped? Here's a secret for you, no jumping involved.

Yikes the mental gymnastics here...
Okay, even if we grant that Panarin "Jumped him" (BTW if Panarin jumped him, the refs have some expalining to do)
What part of the following sequence of events do you disagree with/think Tom Wilson isn't 100% at fault

1) Scrum in front of the net. Wilson falls on player because he is pulled down as that player falls on TWs stick (pretty normal think in a hockey game)

2) Tom Wilson punches defenseless player in the back (I'm being generous here and assuming it wasn't the back of the head)

3) Scrum gets worse as players pile on

4)Tom Wilson rolls over and punches a second defenseless player who is being held down/engaged by a 2nd caps player (I'll give him this one, it was in his side, so I guess that's fine?)

5) At this point Panarin "Jumps" Tom Wilson, despite not jumping (Panarin is still wearing his helmet)

6) Wilson gets up with Panarain on his back and turns around to face him

7) Tom Wilson pulls Panarin's helmet off, and appears to pull his hair and throw him to the ice head first

8) Tom lands on him and punches him in the head while he is laying on the ice (this is now the 3rd player TW has punched while in a vulnerable position on the ice)

9) Panarin tries to get up, Tom Wilson rag dolls him pushing his head to the ice (Panarain is able to get his arms up, if he hadn't TW would have driven his face right into the ice

10) 2 refs "Jump" Tom Wilson, who somehow has the restraint to not punch either of them
*Note, at this point in the video there are 8 other players Jumping/being jumped by one another according to your definition.

So what part of that is inaccurate?
Even giving TW the benefit of the doubt on a few things, and assuming the worst from Panarin, I don't see how anyone can say "Yeah, but Panarin..." on this one.

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 05-06-2021 at 04:08 PM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 05:38 PM   #374
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hot takes.
He threw an elbow a few years back...what else has he done? McDavid has been suspended more recently than Tkachuk

Wilson has been suspended how many times
Old 05-06-2021, 05:46 PM   #375
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

MOD EDIT: No insults please.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:08 PM   #376
LTH
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
As long as the NHL protects dbags like him, this stuff will continue to happen.
Panarin is a star in this league, one that people pay money to go see and watch.
Imagine if this tool did that to Lafrenier and concussed him....lot of guys are never the same

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
LTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #377
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry but it's not Wilson's responsibility to worry about Panarin's helmet. These aren't children. Panarin's act was dumb, you don't jump a huge enforcer with a helmet on, never mind without.

And let's not pretend that Wilson couldn't have been hurt by Panarin's jump. He could have fallen backwards on his head.
He should be concerned about Panarin's head not helmet, its called respect. Somebody wrapping up an opponent from behind in a scrum to de-escalate is an every day occurrence in the NHL. The opponent going bat sh*t crazy, ripping off a helmet, slamming a guy to the ice twice, risking a severe head injury, is not. Panarin did not throw one punch. Wilson is a lunatic who needs therapy or medicine.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #378
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

nm
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:34 PM   #379
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

wrong thread