Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #41
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump.
NLL draft is tonight. The Riggers own the 3rd and 11th picks, but the draft broke really nicely for them so far.
Zach Currier was considered to be a strong candidate for first overall. However, Buffalo need a LF badly and no surprise took Josh Byrne. What does surprise me is that Rochester then took Jake Withers at 2 - leaving the Riggers to scoop up Currier.

Currier has WHEELS which is key if the Riggers want to compete with Rush. The sad thing is that in many ways Currier may just be the guy that replaces Karsen Leung who retired this summer, after not being able to fully shake the concussion after getting leveled by Alex Buque 2 seasons ago.
The other big season news is that Jeff Shattler signed with the Rush. The Riggers did sign veteran tender Tyler Richards who they will want to push Big Frank I'm guessing.

Back to the draft, I expect the Roughnecks will be looking to pick up a lefty forward with their next pick to fill for the departing Shattler.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #42
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to add - what is really strange about Rochester passing on Currier is that they already have his brother John playing for them.
A bit of a stunner and the reaction online is expected. People think the Riggers got gifted the best player in the draft.
And Zed Williams then goes 4 which is an absolute reach (though yes there is no board - particularly in the NLL) given most had him in the late first or even second.
The names to watch here at 11 are Ryan Martel, Chase Fraser and Johnny Pearson. Either will suit the Riggers. My hope would be for Fraser.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:00 PM   #43
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Riggers took Tyler Pace (forward) with pick #9 (I have no idea how they got that pick) and Ryan Martel at #11.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #44
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah here you go: @GeorgiaSwarmLAX trades No. 9 and No. 21 overall picks to Roughnecks for their 1st-Round in 2019.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #45
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pace is an interesting pick at 9. From what I read, he was considered to be one of the guys in the mix for #1 heading into last year. Part of the reason for his drop is he wants to stay in the Denver area. Calgary may be close enough.

Both him and Martel are guys with more long-term upside and less likely to step in now and do a lot.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #46
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
The sad thing is that in many ways Currier may just be the guy that replaces Karsen Leung who retired this summer, after not being able to fully shake the concussion after getting leveled by Alex Buque 2 seasons ago.
Ugh. Remember that time the NLL celebrating having a goalie end a player's career with a massive cheap shot?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #47
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Ugh. Remember that time the NLL celebrating having a goalie end a player's career with a massive cheap shot?
No penalty. No suspension. Nothing. Nadda.
Except it ended the career of one of the most promising young players in the game.
Terrible.
I think the league has learned a lesson about concussions as there has been a real shift in approach since.
Sad that Karsen is the one that had to pay the stiffest price for that lesson.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #48
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ya, that hit was crap. Just re-watched it to remember what happened, and there is no way a goalie with all that padding should get a free charge and high hit on a guy like that....especially not with how goalies are coddled behind the net any other time. Karsen was a good player.

On a slight tangent, looks like the season opener is now in December, instead of the usual January. Anyone know why they bumped the season start up?
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #49
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
Ya, that hit was crap. Just re-watched it to remember what happened, and there is no way a goalie with all that padding should get a free charge and high hit on a guy like that....especially not with how goalies are coddled behind the net any other time. Karsen was a good player.

On a slight tangent, looks like the season opener is now in December, instead of the usual January. Anyone know why they bumped the season start up?
I don't know for sure but it could be a couple reasons
- They likely can get some strong attendance including from families around Christmas.
- Attendance can fall as the season gets into the Spring.
- Paving the way for a longer schedule when expansion starts. Philly being added next year along with San Diego. I expect a couple additional Canadian markets to be next (Edmonton for sure, but perhaps another Ontario team), plus Minnesota should get a team back at some point. So I think if things go well the league could grow significantly in 3-5 years. And the talent is there support it. There is a really high number of players good enough to play in the NLL but there aren't enough jobs to go around. Almost every player in the league is really good to elite.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:48 AM   #50
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The schedule for this season is awesome. Games start earlier and are evenly spaced at 2 a month. Can't wait!
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:31 PM   #51
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm ok with the distribution, but the earlier season start combined with them being on Friday nights kinda screws with my schedule.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lacrosse , nll , roughnecks