Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #861
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope04 View Post
Yep. I was riding home last week by the old overpass at Lindsay Park with the blind corner. As I rounded the corner, a goose was trundling along the path. I slowed down, only to hear a scream behind me......a lady roadie was taking that corner way too fast and almost smoked me from behind.

That's one stretch of pathway that I treat with utmost care. I've seen a couple really bad crashes there over the years.
I bike past here on my commute and always hit the bell a few times before coming around that corner.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 06:48 AM   #862
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

my office is moving next month from near chinook ctr to bow valley square - some of these posts are good remidners for me of the stuff i will need to be dealing with as i get closer to downtown
Old 05-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #863
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Does anybody here have a better route to get from Confederation park to the nose creek path than to go across 40th avenue and 41st avenue to access the entrance at the 32nd ave connector?

The last few days I have found that stretch of road to be too busy during rush hr and without a dedicated bike lane there it gets way too bottlenecks with cars essentially pushing you into the curb as they drive alongside.

TIA
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #864
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife and I usually take this way eastbound. When I come back west I'll just go up 40th, as it has a wide road and a pathway/sidewalk on the steep hill.

Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #865
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
Does anybody here have a better route to get from Confederation park to the nose creek path than to go across 40th avenue and 41st avenue to access the entrance at the 32nd ave connector?

The last few days I have found that stretch of road to be too busy during rush hr and without a dedicated bike lane there it gets way too bottlenecks with cars essentially pushing you into the curb as they drive alongside.

TIA

I think that's because they have been doing construction work around McKnight Blvd and Edmonton Trail/4th st so they are pushing traffic around that would not normally be there. But to answer your question I would say you could jump off confederation sooner and go up either 30th by the baseball diamond or a little later and up through the cemetery and then just take whatever E/W side road all the way to one of the pathway connectors
Old 05-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #866
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I knew I could count on CP to be a good wealth of knowledge, thanks all
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #867
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
My wife and I usually take this way eastbound. When I come back west I'll just go up 40th, as it has a wide road and a pathway/sidewalk on the steep hill.

Be warned, this route takes you dangerously close to Citizen Brewing...
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #868
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
my office is moving next month from near Chinook ctr to bow valley square - some of these posts are good reminders for me of the stuff i will need to be dealing with as i get closer to downtown
I'm so jealous.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #869
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Hey Fuzz, how did you draw that map? Special software- or a function of Google Maps that I'm not aware of?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #870
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right click on the map, then select measure distance. Then you can click and draw.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #871
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strava also has an option to "create a route" feature that is handy for finding good routes around the city.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:53 PM   #872
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have very mixed emotions. i live in the deep SE, I come in and leave early - if i drive i can be home by 3.20. it is super easy to run errands at lunch.

the enw office will be physically nicer, but i am now on the bus - getting home at 5 will be early. driving will be a treat, no more running errands at lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I'm so jealous.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #873
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heads up, grads spotted on the Peace bridge yesterday afternoon.

Begun, grad season photos has.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #874
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, I almost plowed into a few of them. Maybe I'll have better luck today.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #875
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yup, I almost plowed into a few of them. Maybe I'll have better luck today.
By better luck do you mean taking them out for the greater good?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:39 PM   #876
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was what I meant, ya. None out today though. Maybe better hunting tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #877
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so last fall my commuter developed a bit of a creak in the crank/bottom bracket area - so i replaced the BB. creak died down somewhat but was still there. Last two days it was getting worse, so on my way home i notice my crank has some lateral play in it, so i figure the crankarm bolt is loose.

i get home put the 8mm allan key to the crank and the bolt it tight, so i grab the crank again, and then really notice the play is from the drive side - so i pull out the crankset and then finally figure out that where the axle fits into the drive side has started to come apart. I drift it with a hammer a few time to try and reset - not luck.

i make a run to the bike shop south and was told i would need a new crankset. but the good news was the crankset came with a new BB - of course the bad news was it was a threaded BB and my rig is press fit. Anyways, $200 later my bike is really quiet again.

as i was paying i noticed that the bike shop had the new SRAM groupset on display. This si the one where the rear cassette is that oil slick color - it is super sweet looking, and would be a great addition to a bike with some blue in the color scheme. For now it is sold as a groupset at $2,500.......
Old 05-23-2019, 08:00 AM   #878
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
as i was paying i noticed that the bike shop had the new SRAM groupset on display. This si the one where the rear cassette is that oil slick color - it is super sweet looking, and would be a great addition to a bike with some blue in the color scheme. For now it is sold as a groupset at $2,500.......
South Bike Shop? I saw the groupset as well. It looks great. Th price, not so much.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:09 AM   #879
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ yes, the bike shop south is pretty much the only place i go when i want to spend money on bike stuff. We have a good relationship as they recognize my loyalty
Old 05-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #880
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

As some of you that follow me on Strava know- I did my first post-crash commute yesterday. (2/3 commute- to my buddy's house.) However, upon riding and reflecting I noticed an inherent flaw in my bike setup- one that if corrected would have prevented my crash. At the risk of being branded Captain Obvious- I'd like to share that with you all in the hopes that I might save somebody else some of my pain.

As I passed people; especially people with dogs, I made sure I slowed right down, gave the warning ding of my bell, and got ready for a louder ring and on the brakes. That's when I realized the flaw. My bell is controlled with my right hand; same as my rear brake. What that means is if I'm getting ready to ring the bell, my left hand is free to apply full braking to the front. If my bell was to be switched to my left hand, that would leave my right hand free to apply full braking to the rear brake.

So, make sure your bell is on your left side, leaving your right hand free for braking.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: