Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-04-2023, 08:34 AM   #981
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
I am positive that Google maps has that option. I think you can toggle from full voice nav to alerts only to off. Just click the speaker button. This is for Android Auto.

When I am out and about today, I'll confirm.

Yes, thank you. I admit, I'll looking for something between full voice and alerts only. So, say I just turned into Glenmore from Stony, it would say something like 'Turn left at MacLeod Trail'b once, instead of the multiple prompts it has now. When you are doing a lot of quick turns it gets real chatty
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 03:46 PM   #982
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone recommend software to get text messages off my Samsung S8 with a smashed screen? Screen is black and touch does not work. I'm wasting a lot of time reading nonsense and downloading deadend programs.

I already got my contacts, photos, downloaded files, mp3s, etc. onto the new phone. Just need my recent text messages and it appears you cannot do that by simply copying files from a specific folder.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 04:09 PM   #983
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you have access to a USB-C hub? Samsung DeX might work for you.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/o...pp/samsung-dex

You can hook up an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor via the hub and access the device to get into the 'transfer your data' app or whatever it's called. If you use DeX via a hub, I don't think any on-device input is needed to start it, but if you use it via a PC, I *think* on-screen approval to connect may be needed.

Spoiler!
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:05 PM   #984
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was reading that some people used those hubs but I was assuming it was possible to connect directly with a computer and use software to copy and transfer the text files.

If not I'll find a hub and use the 'Smart Switch" Samsung app, I've done that before. Thanks!
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2023, 05:26 PM   #985
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pixel Fold teaser released today. And its shoooort.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/4/23...fold-announced

Apparently more info coming May 10.

Semi-intriguing. $1700US tho. Yikes.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:12 AM   #986
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

folding phones are so damn lame
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 01:33 PM   #987
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nobody talking about Google IO and their new products and technology? Nobody cares about phones and tablets anymore. Nothing new to see really and the whole industry is rather stale.

I did like what I saw but more so because I hate this damn iphone that I have with a passion of a thousand burning suns. Honestly, how ####ing hard is it to not have your notifications interrupt music streaming or game playing? Basic #### they cannot wrap their heads around.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 01:19 PM   #988
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new Android 14 beta is a big improvement.

Really like the changes to the lock screen. The font is a bit smaller and the whole widget is a lot more compact.
Old 05-21-2023, 02:41 PM   #989
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have perhaps an odd question but figure this is a good place to ask. I almost exclusively set my phone to vibrate (Samsung -hone). Frequently enough to be annoying, I will accidentally hit the volume down button one time too often and end up on mute instead of vibrate. Does anyone know of a way to prevent the volume button from going to mute but still having the physical buttons function? I do like using the buttons while listening to media and don’t want them disabled.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 02:59 PM   #990
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I don't think you can do exactly what you're asking but the Sound Assistant app lets you set how much the volume buttons change the volume.

https://galaxystore.samsung.com/deta...tant?langCd=en
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 10:33 PM   #991
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have gone down the rooting rabbit hole, and almost never made it back. But after successfully fixing boot loop from bad twrp flash, I think I am correctly choosing to abandon twrp/magisk and an going to use fastboot enhance tool to extract boot image from a stock oneplus 8 rom (older file) and patch the boot image with magisk, then install with enhance tool. TWRP was a disaster. I rooted a couple old phones successfully with it, but there's no official support for anything oneplus.
Does this sound correct? After my boot loop I'm a little scared. I really like that oneplus 8 and don't want to #### it up!
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 11:10 AM   #992
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

TWRP hasn't been needed (never really was) in some time. Fastboot and adb will do everything you need. TWRP never really figured out the dual slot setup of modern android phones.

Do you need root? I would look more at a custom ROM to get to the latest OS. There is at least one Android 14 based rom for the oneplus 8. I run the latest OS on an old Pixel 3XL with no issues. No root as I don't find I need it anymore these days.

If you need root then yes, you are looking at extracting and patching the boot image with Magisk. There are probably pre-patched kernels on XDA already.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2023, 11:20 AM   #993
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone with a Google OS phone, in particular the Pixel phones, noticed a change to how scrolling in text boxes functions? It looks like something has changed recently where on forums or message boards like CP or Reddit if I have a text box open to type a reply or comment I can't swipe up and down inside the text box to scroll through the field. Instead it scrolls the full screen up and down. Previously it was possible to scroll in the boxes independent of the screen.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2023, 11:58 AM   #994
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Has anyone with a Google OS phone, in particular the Pixel phones, noticed a change to how scrolling in text boxes functions? It looks like something has changed recently where on forums or message boards like CP or Reddit if I have a text box open to type a reply or comment I can't swipe up and down inside the text box to scroll through the field. Instead it scrolls the full screen up and down. Previously it was possible to scroll in the boxes independent of the screen.
Maybe a Chrome thing on Android? I get that behaviour in Chrome but not on Vivaldi or forum software like tapatalk or messaging apps.
Old 12-28-2023, 09:20 AM   #995
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Maybe a Chrome thing on Android? I get that behaviour in Chrome but not on Vivaldi or forum software like tapatalk or messaging apps.
I bought a Pixel 8 on Black Friday but I did not switch over to the new phone until last night. Scrolling works as expected on the new phone. Not sure what the issue was with my old Pixel 6.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2023, 09:11 PM   #996
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

anyone else have MS swipe and having ongoing issues with voice to text in messenger?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 09:27 PM   #997
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
TWRP hasn't been needed (never really was) in some time. Fastboot and adb will do everything you need. TWRP never really figured out the dual slot setup of modern android phones.

Do you need root? I would look more at a custom ROM to get to the latest OS. There is at least one Android 14 based rom for the oneplus 8. I run the latest OS on an old Pixel 3XL with no issues. No root as I don't find I need it anymore these days.

If you need root then yes, you are looking at extracting and patching the boot image with Magisk. There are probably pre-patched kernels on XDA already.
Yeah, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing (and I mean very little knowledge). I had no idea what I was doing and soft bricked it. Was just able to flash back to stock ROM tonight (after days of trying) with MSM tool. Was really lucky. Oof
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 10:50 AM   #998
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I dug out my old Note 3 just to see what versions of Android are available for it. I am running a version of Lineage 13 so fairly recent. Runs a little slow though but not to shabby. Still love the size and shape of that phone.

Lineage instructions are usually the best when it comes to flashing phones. If you haven't read it already here is their OnePlus 8 guide. OnePlus seems to have a few more steps than the Pixel phones but still all fastboot or adb commands.

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/i...oodle/install/

They go up to Android 13 which most ROMs are now anyways and 14 is just now slowing rolling out to the latest OnePlus phones.