Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2023, 09:31 PM   #4221
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Been enjoying the milder temps and clearer roads the last couple of weeks allowing some full and decent commutes, instead of partial commutes (based on where I live and the amount of ice and runoff). Now back to the cold and multi-week clearing again. sigh...
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:49 AM   #4222
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A frosty one this morning. I bought heated socks from Amazon for $25, my toes still go numb, but it happens later in the ride! Today was easier than yesterday, the snow was a lot more compact, so less rolling resistance. Anyone else out there? Only saw a couple walkers this morning, and one track on 7th st.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:59 AM   #4223
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’m not going even to try the next two days, I have more expensive heated socks that last the entire way in but I don’t trust my bike to work in minus 30. Don’t want to get stuck walking in fish creek in this cold
Old 02-23-2023, 08:07 AM   #4224
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
I’m not going even to try the next two days, I have more expensive heated socks that last the entire way in but I don’t trust my bike to work in minus 30. Don’t want to get stuck walking in fish creek in this cold
I've spent years winterizing for cold. First to go were the Marizochi Bomber Z2 shocks, the seals would blow bellow -25. Rigid forks now. I switched from V brakes to cable disc, but they were cheap and only pulled from one side. Then I discovered the TRP Spkye that pull from both sides, and they are so good. I won't go hydraulic in this cold. Keeping the drivetrain clean and lubed is the last weak point. I also put it in my 5 degree garage instead of the shed on these cold days, I find it really helps not starting from frozen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 08:08 AM   #4225
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
A frosty one this morning. I bought heated socks from Amazon for $25, my toes still go numb, but it happens later in the ride! Today was easier than yesterday, the snow was a lot more compact, so less rolling resistance. Anyone else out there? Only saw a couple walkers this morning, and one track on 7th st.
You know I was out there too! Fox Hollow hill STILL not cleared 48 hours post snow event. Super frustrating. Ended up riding with another person that works just one block south of me, so two of us slogging up Nose Creek this morning.

I threw a couple of heat packs into my winter boots for the ride, all good.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 08:14 AM   #4226
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, snow clearing this year has been pants. The 7th st cycle track is totally useless now. They plow it, then everyone else shovels their sidewalk snow into it. Then you hit 5th ave, and it's all closed for construction, and the "detour" is full of snow, it may as well not exist. Fortunately traffic is down to one lane, so I can squeeze in there.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:10 PM   #4227
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Velonews just put in a new paywall.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:40 AM   #4228
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

picked up my new turbine r wheelset for my mtn bike over the weekend. Also opted to install a new rear cluster and new chain and new tires.

Got the tire dry mounted on the rims, will work over the next few weeks to get everything fully installed. That rear hub sure makes a sweet buzzing sound

everyone once and a while i keel over at the price of XTR parts. The rear cluster was $500, $200 for XT and $150'ish for SLX. the shop only had SLX in stock, so i went with that
Old 02-27-2023, 10:10 AM   #4229
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Rode in this morning after skipping last week, paths are fantastic, big shout out to guys clearing them. The sections that were ice before are now covered in an couple cm of hard packed snow so there is lots of grip and most of the way is bare path. It'll suck in a couple weeks when the melt comes but for now its great
Old 02-27-2023, 12:16 PM   #4230
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Glad to hear that. I brought my bike into work last week with the plan on riding home tonight. Hopefully it's good all the way into the SE. I know a couple of weeks ago I started my ride thinking "I could start using my summer bike soon."

Then I go south of Glenmore and it all goes to crap.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 12:59 PM   #4231
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even though temps are negative right now that sun is strong, I'm thinking the hard pack on the side streets and pathways is getting soft.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 01:06 PM   #4232
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Even though temps are negative right now that sun is strong, I'm thinking the hard pack on the side streets and pathways is getting soft.
It was already soft for me on the busier streets this morning. It's gonna be a snirty week.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:16 PM   #4233
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Glad to hear that. I brought my bike into work last week with the plan on riding home tonight. Hopefully it's good all the way into the SE. I know a couple of weeks ago I started my ride thinking "I could start using my summer bike soon."

Then I go south of Glenmore and it all goes to crap.
It's pretty good right now all the way to Mckenzie, south of Glenmore isn't as good but it's still very enjoyable with no areas of concern.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:13 PM   #4234
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Rode in this morning after skipping last week, paths are fantastic, big shout out to guys clearing them. The sections that were ice before are now covered in an couple cm of hard packed snow so there is lots of grip and most of the way is bare path. It'll suck in a couple weeks when the melt comes but for now its great

Agreed on the work done as this morning was nothing but grippy hardpack everywhere including my short'ish few blocks through downtown. Late this aft though the snirt was coming out on the streets and the paths had sections of in-transition-to-ice and some water which was almost slick ice. Could be interesting in the morning if there's that skiff of snow forecast. That said... the core paths are generally in totally rideable shape, just the further away from the core the worse the trails and roads are. Sometimes it's not worth the risk IMO (risk from conflict, washing out, mechanical, being out there riding too long, etc...).

Lastly... lights are still useful folks... don't abandon them yet. Still useful at those dusk times when hard to see the ninja riders and runners.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:48 AM   #4235
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has the city just given up plowing pathways? The 7th st cycle track is an absolute mess, and the construction bypass has been non-existent since the previous snow fall last week. I dare not venture to 10th st.

Snirt on the side streets is already awkward, going to be some messy rides for a bit. My favourite, though, is the rutted black ice hiding under 7th st in Sunnyside, just below this skiff of snow.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:06 AM   #4236
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The trailer for the Tour de France Netflix show has been leaked/dropped. Produced by the same folks who did the F1 Drive to Survive show.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1630700727655092224
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2023, 12:27 PM   #4237
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Has the city just given up plowing pathways? The 7th st cycle track is an absolute mess, and the construction bypass has been non-existent since the previous snow fall last week. I dare not venture to 10th st.

Snirt on the side streets is already awkward, going to be some messy rides for a bit. My favourite, though, is the rutted black ice hiding under 7th st in Sunnyside, just below this skiff of snow.
You of all people shouldn't be surprised by the lack of fatas being given by the city roads department.

"By the time people escalate their complaints, it will be late March and all the snow will be melting. Who cares if people have a hard time getting around until then?"
Old 03-01-2023, 12:34 PM   #4238
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

South is fine, they scraped yesterday during the snow so there is still a bit there but it's fine to ride on. Could still cruise in the low 20's km/hr and just slow down for the corners.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:23 AM   #4239
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

last night i installed new tires on my gravel rig. Went with a set of 45's as this is the widest tire my bike would apparently set up to accommodate.

Going to go with a tubeless set up. Set them up with no sealant in there for now.

I also ordered a raveman front light - this is a more of a be seen front light and it mounts in the socket for my garmin and then the gamin sits on top of it. It is pretty clean. Will be interested to see what the battery life is

https://ravemen.com/FR/FR160.html
Old 03-02-2023, 12:31 PM   #4240
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

How are the side marker lights on it? That's what I find I am lacking for light it being able to be seen from the side. I used to have a headlight that was great for that. (Terrible as a headlight though.) I would use it along with my main headlight for extra visibility.