Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2021, 02:44 PM   #3161
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
This is the activity: https://www.strava.com/activities/5906041006

We cut through Edgemont and down 53rd instead of going further west.
Very nice, maybe next year I'll be in good enough shape to join you guys. I remember bumping into the_only_turek_fan and a ton of guys from our high school class at the RTCC in 2014.

It would probably take me 6 hours to do this circuit but I'll give it a try. I normally stick to the downtown and southern portions.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:55 PM   #3162
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Does anybody recognize the residential cycle path area he is in around 2:00 of this video? It looks quite nice.
Looks like somewhere in the Currie Barracks development?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:49 PM   #3163
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Looks like somewhere in the Currie Barracks development?
Yeah. It's a short path in Alexandria Park next to Trasimene Cresc, but it doesn't really serve any purpose except for the local kids. It's not a connector to the existing pathway/bike lane network.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:11 PM   #3164
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
Thanks a lot for all the info in your post.

1. Yes, half inflating the tubes before putting them in.
2. Yes, have run a cloth along the inside and have also turned the tire inside out. Cannot find or feel anything
3. Oddly enough cannot even see any punctures. Tube can be re-inflated and hold air for a couple of days and then go flat
4. Tires were new with the bike. So two years old. She has not been able to ride it enough to do any damage to them! She does not skid - no flat spots on them and still lots of tread
5. She's about 80lbs. It's a 24" wheel. Not sure if those details matter.
6. Problem was isolated to the back tire. However, after flipping the wheels, the problem now exists in both!
7. I will try to post pics when I am home from work today.

Thanks again for the info. At this point its a last hurrah before the bike gets fired into the sun!!
Does she by chance have a brother or friend who might be pranking her?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #3165
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey all, I figured it would be more pertinent to post here rather than a buy/sell thread. I have a brand new in box Tacx Flux S Smart Trainer for sale. I bought it thinking I was going to replace my current trainer, but decided to keep the old one after all. We went on our bike trip, I broke my collarbone going over the handlebars, and missed the return window. Below is the Kijiji link:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-bike/e...ner/1585218685

Price is higher for kijijidiots, but I am willing to do what I paid for it for a CP member (just under $800).

I live in Edmonton, but am down in Calgary often enough to visit family.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:35 PM   #3166
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
Hey all, I figured it would be more pertinent to post here rather than a buy/sell thread. I have a brand new in box Tacx Flux S Smart Trainer for sale. I bought it thinking I was going to replace my current trainer, but decided to keep the old one after all. We went on our bike trip, I broke my collarbone going over the handlebars, and missed the return window. Below is the Kijiji link:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-bike/e...ner/1585218685

Price is higher for kijijidiots, but I am willing to do what I paid for it for a CP member (just under $800).

I live in Edmonton, but am down in Calgary often enough to visit family.
How does this compare to the Wahoo Kickr Core? Forgive me ignorance as I'm just starting to investigate these as a possible winter fitness option as well. Does it work with a 9 speed rear cassette (I know, I'm sorry I'm only on Sora).
Old 09-13-2021, 02:22 PM   #3167
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
How does this compare to the Wahoo Kickr Core? Forgive me ignorance as I'm just starting to investigate these as a possible winter fitness option as well. Does it work with a 9 speed rear cassette (I know, I'm sorry I'm only on Sora).
I believe it is compatible with 8 - 11 speed cassettes.

DCRainmaker has the best comparison of smart trainers out there: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/11/...de-winter.html

The two trainers fall into the same price category ($1000 for the Flux S and $1300 for the Core) and review quite similarly. One thing I can speak to is Garmin support for their Tacx products is some of the best on the market. I had issues with an on wheel trainer and they were super helpful throughout the process of getting me back on my bike.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:53 PM   #3168
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been meaning to mention this for a while, but I recently bought two pairs of endur socks for biking.

These socks are amazing. Easily my go to biking socks.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:16 PM   #3169
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow, I'm amazed at you guys doing 100K rides. I've done a couple 50s in the last few weeks and that was enough for me. Good for you guys! Hopefully next year I'll do my first century ride

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 10:29 PM   #3170
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Been meaning to mention this for a while, but I recently bought two pairs of endur socks for biking.

These socks are amazing. Easily my go to biking socks.
Agreed. I got 3 pairs for Father’s Day, and they are my favourites. Canadian company too.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:35 PM   #3171
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Love the endur socks. My first pair was a tribute to Stevie Smith and have long live chainsaw on them. Liked them so much, I bought another pair along with a few others. This past Christmas, everybody got Endur socks in their stockings.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:53 AM   #3172
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i did not realize that endur is a canadian company - nice.

i'd love to go nuts on their website.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:32 AM   #3173
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
Wow, I'm amazed at you guys doing 100K rides. I've done a couple 50s in the last few weeks and that was enough for me. Good for you guys! Hopefully next year I'll do my first century ride
It's not as hard as you think. I've had a mediocre year, I'm carrying too much weight and I did 110km on gravel a few weeks ago. Keep cranking out the miles, you'll get there.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #3174
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
If you can get someone to ride with it makes the time pass more quickly. An interesting route helps as well. Having something to snack on while you ride is important for me. I usually have some candy/gummies in a ziploc in my jersey so I can keep my calorie intake up without having to constantly stop to eat. Better to have some food as you're going rather than stopping when you're already starting to feel the energy loss.

Now is a great time to try for a century too. Cooler temperatures mean you don't sweat as much so you're not having to stop to refill bottles as often. If you've been riding all summer your fitness will be better than spring (if you take time off in the winter).

It's really not as daunting as people think it is.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:52 AM   #3175
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good points K, I’d just really stress what you said about nutrition.

Fuel regularly with simple sugars, several times an hour, right from the beginning. Don’t have a peanut butter sandwich half way through, fats and proteins in the middle of exercise aren’t the best. Sports chews, gels, and carb mix in the water work well, but there’s good cheaper options as well. Regular fruit gummies, stroopwaffles, honey and maple syrup are effective, and have some 3-4 times an hour if you’re working hard.

If you fuel well you’ll feel stronger longer.

The other thing is just working your way up to the longer distances. Your body will get used to the longer time on the bike and you won’t be as sore after you’ve done a few.

Oh, and go do the Bow Valley parkway end to end, it’s a beautiful 100kms on fantastic pavement.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 09-14-2021 at 08:54 AM.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 08:54 AM   #3176
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post

Fuel regularly with simple sugars, several times an hour, right from the beginning. Don’t have a peanut butter sandwich half way through, fats and proteins in the middle of exercise aren’t the best. Sports chews, gels, and carb mix in the water work well, but there’s good cheaper options as well. Regular fruit gummies, stroopwaffles, honey and maple syrup are effective, and have some 3-4 times an hour if you’re working hard.

The other thing is just working your way up to the longer distances. Your body will get used to the longer time on the bike and you won’t be as sore after you’ve done a few.

Oh, and go do the Bow Valley parkway end to end, it’s a beautiful 100kms on fantastic pavement.
Bow Valley Parkway is great. You can also start in Canmore and ride to JC and back, which is about 100km.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:48 AM   #3177
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sent my Garmin edge 520 in for warranty replacement. Upon receipt of new unit I’m torn between reselling at CoVid pricing and buying new 830…. Or waiting for maybe new Garmin product this fall and hoping a 840 appears. Or just use the 520 until there’s an actual new release. I couldn’t find “edge rumours of new product” online.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #3178
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post

If you fuel well you’ll feel stronger longer.

When I did the RTCC, I had my top tube bag full of gummy bears and I would just snack on them as I went.

I want to do a 100K but I couldn't convince any friends to start road biking this year, plus they couldn't even buy bikes at all and my only concern is if get into a break down or puncture while I'm in a remote area as I've tried replacing my tube before at home and just couldn't do it and had to go to a shop.

Maybe it's time to go tubeless for solo riding safety?
Old 09-14-2021, 10:21 AM   #3179
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
When I did the RTCC, I had my top tube bag full of gummy bears and I would just snack on them as I went.

I want to do a 100K but I couldn't convince any friends to start road biking this year, plus they couldn't even buy bikes at all and my only concern is if get into a break down or puncture while I'm in a remote area as I've tried replacing my tube before at home and just couldn't do it and had to go to a shop.

Maybe it's time to go tubeless for solo riding safety?
You could also try a 100km in the city. It's a good way to stay closer to home but still get in the kms.

My favourite is a Reservoir loop and then over to Chestermere Lake for a loop of it. Under 500m of climbing, almost entirely on the path. The canal path lets you go a little quicker as well since there are fewer people and no hidden corners.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 10:29 AM   #3180
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, find a route closer to home. Canal path is easy peasy. Haven't done 100 on that yet this year but it's on my to do list.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote