Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Power Play Woes - Personnel, Usage, Strategy, or Luck?

What would you say is the primary driver of our poor power play? Our PP has fluctuated since Gaudreau has come on board the last four years:

in terms of raw PP opportunities we have been:
2014-15 : 11th
2015-16 : 6th
2016-17 : 8th
2017-18 : 3rd

However, in terms of power play percentage we have been:

2014:15 : 15th
2015-16 : 22nd
2016-17 : 11th
2017-18 : 25th

In terms of total power play goals scored, we've been:

2014-15 : 12th
2015-16 : 19th
2016-17 : 9th
2017-18: 20th (*some teams have a game in hand and Florida has three)

I would say the worst personnel out of these years was 2014-15 where our second PP unit depended on Mason Raymond and David Jones. That team was highly dependent on a lethal first unit.

I would say the best personnel out of these years would have been this year, if Versteeg were healthy, but was otherwise last year. While our first unit was remarkably average, the fact that our second unit featured Tkachuk, Hamilton, Giordano, and Backlund gave us our best year on the power of this core. Backlund led the 2016-17 Flames in PP points. Even when PPs didn't complete properly, this unit basically carried the play into 5 on 5 and scored on tired PKers after the fact.

Now, it's safe to say that without Stamkos, Laine, Ovechkin we do lack that one power play game breaker. But we have had a lot of options. But I do feel this team has underperformed on the PP. They've scores some goals, usually on fine finish from Tkachuk, Hamilton, Ferland, or Monahan, but something has visually felt off even during the hot streaks. The second unit has been neutered - the first unit usually spends 70% of the PP time and leaves the 2nd unit to fend for scraps, and with Versteeg hurt they haven't had Dougie Hamilton available on the second unit either to extend zone time into 5 on 5.

So what exactly is the major issue and what is the fix?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the main issue is the set up - which doesn't seem to play to the strengths of the guys on the team. I have less issues with player usage, because I feel if the overall set up was more sensible then they would have an opportunity to succeed.

I think part of the issue is how Johnny is deployed. Without a really good shot teams are keying on him more because he can't keep the honest with that shot. I would to put him in different spots on the ice where he has room to create. Working off the boards consistently just isn't an ideal spot for him.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #3
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

How does it compare to the Iginla days. I remember that PP being stagnant as well at times.

I think it is structure, coaching and Usage. Mix in luck as well
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 03-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
How does it compare to the Iginla days. I remember that PP being stagnant as well at times.

I think it is structure, coaching and Usage. Mix in luck as well
In Iggy's era it got all to predictable. Feed Iggy for a one timer. Then Cammy came and onions were available.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think the main issue is the set up - which doesn't seem to play to the strengths of the guys on the team. I have less issues with player usage, because I feel if the overall set up was more sensible then they would have an opportunity to succeed.

I think part of the issue is how Johnny is deployed. Without a really good shot teams are keying on him more because he can't keep the honest with that shot. I would to put him in different spots on the ice where he has room to create. Working off the boards consistently just isn't an ideal spot for him.
Then why not put a really shot on the PP (Stone). The coaches stubbornly use systems that don't fit their players.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #7
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

All our key players from last year are still here, most are young so they should be better now. Versteegs injury should not make this much of a difference.

I think we can safely ignore lack of personnel as the main issue. It's player usage / coaching (same thing really) or luck.

Last edited by Itse; 03-18-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote