Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #81
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I'd much prefer 3 for a regulation win, 2 for an OT or shootout win, and 1 for a OT or shootout loss.

Or do away with OT and shootouts, and do it 3 for a win, 1 for a tie (soccer style).
Forget points. Just Ws and Ls. Make 3 on 3 continuous.
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #82
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The Hawks were built pre-cap.

The Pens got at least one cup in on diving contracts.

Parity will slowly take over.
Hawks were not built pre-cap. I remember watching the fabled first line of Calder-Arnason-Bell whizzing around the ice in 05-06.

Parity may take over, but I haven't seen it yet. If Vegas wins the Cup, I'll be on your side.

I think probably windows to win may get shorter, but you will still see teams that are dominant.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #83
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Hawks were not built pre-cap. I remember watching the fabled first line of Calder-Arnason-Bell whizzing around the ice in 05-06.

Parity may take over, but I haven't seen it yet. If Vegas wins the Cup, I'll be on your side.

I think probably windows to win may get shorter, but you will still see teams that are dominant.
In a sense the Hawks were.

They benefited greatly from the cap era as they had a number of great players on ELC contracts, making them more competitive than other teams who didn't have that. Other teams had to shed contracts to fit under their cap situations. That allowed them, early on, to have better depth than other teams.

They were able to sign Hossa because Detroit couldn't fit him under their cap.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:57 PM   #84
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ideal season length: 76 games. 7x4 in division + 24x2 = 76

Playoff format: something similar to Bill Simmons idea for NBA (7v10, 8v9 single play-in game in each conference), though it may be a little complicated with NHL Divisions. I'd do single play-in game 4v5 in each division, winner plays 1st seed in regular 7 game series. Keeps everything in the same division until final 4 teams left. Eliminates the few days of break between regular season and official playoff start. Higher seed hosts.

Owners lose 3 reg season home games each. Players 'work/play' 7% less...HRR and salaries will decline commensurately, but 4 'must-watch' games and a 30 min draft special are better for the health/sustainability of the league.

Draft Odds: Assuming 12 teams not making any playoff/play-in at all (once we hit 32 teams). Live televised event...12 identical objects in a tumbler...lots of room for creativity...shouldn't be too hard to avoid conspiracy theories. First ball out picks #12, second ball picks #11, on and on until #2 and #1 are determined.

Oilers rule: can pick 1st once every 5 years. can pick top 2 twice every 5 years. can pick top 3 thrice every 5. Complicates the draw a bit, but shouldn't be too hard to explain...a good way to build drama for the final few picks.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:47 AM   #85
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Decreasing game quantity decreases revenue. Next
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:00 AM   #86
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Couldn’t agree more on getting rid of the Shootout. Turned the NHL into a joke when they implemented it. I cringe every time OT ends and we’re forced to watch a skills competition.

Like thousands of others, I agree with this.

If it can’t be settled in OT, just call it what it is; a tie and one point for each team.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:05 AM   #87
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
Removing blue line = McJesus standing on the crease for 60 minutes, never goes off ice, watching his 4 teammates trying to get the puck and then 1 hail mary pass. Fantastic sport.

You could be on to something.

That system under that format would be just about the worst use of McDavid you could imagine.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:25 AM   #88
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I think the league is wrong there. Fewer games would increase the quality of games, as you'd have healthier lineups, games would mean more and players would be better rested. Game quality and importance of game draws eyeballs more than quantity.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #89
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
You should call Roger Goodell - imagine the money the NFL could make with an 82 game season!

Expenses also decrease. The league would be smart to push for a shorter season in the next CBA (with commensurate decrease in player salaries) whether they want it or not. Easy bargaining chip that they probably don't actually want...the players can decide if they're willing to give up $$ to work less (I can guess the answer, it's two letters instead of three).
Old 03-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #90
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
the players can decide if they're willing to give up $$ to work less (I can guess the answer, it's two letters instead of three).
Given the choice, ton of people choose to work less in that situation, as long as they still have a decent salary. Not sure why hockey players would be that obviously different.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:36 PM   #91
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
You should call Roger Goodell - imagine the money the NFL could make with an 82 game season!

Expenses also decrease. The league would be smart to push for a shorter season in the next CBA (with commensurate decrease in player salaries) whether they want it or not. Easy bargaining chip that they probably don't actually want...the players can decide if they're willing to give up $$ to work less (I can guess the answer, it's two letters instead of three).
The NFL, and every other pro sports league, would play year round and 150 games/team if they could.

Football being the way it is, two games a week once in a season is brutal.

Want an example of too many games played? Baseball.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #92
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Given the choice, ton of people choose to work less in that situation, as long as they still have a decent salary. Not sure why hockey players would be that obviously different.
I completely agree, and have made the same choice myself.

Given players' inability to understand how/why escrow works, I'm not so sure they would make the right calculation here. I would think shortening the season by 6 games (~ 2 weeks) might be enough to extend a lot of players' careers by an extra season (even those who 'lose a step' at age 33 might be able to prolong that to 34).

Crazy idea, but they might even be able to award the Stanley Cup in May!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:00 PM   #93
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just read the headings and assumed it was a satirical article.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:26 PM   #94
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I actually think going back to one official would go a long way in fixing the NHL officiating problem.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #95
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about pushing back the draft eligibility year?

Outside of a handful of players the average drafted players is 2 or so years away from the AHL let alone the nhl.

Shortening today's 3 to 5 years of rebuilding misery would go a long way in my opinion. Having more drafted players playing the farm team and available for earlier call up to the nhl would make things more fun.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote