Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #9361
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Everyone knows the Flames would like some high draft picks back this year given the unfortunate ending to our season ... so we will be overpaying for them. Pure fantasy to think TJ Brodie alone is going to recoup our deficit.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #9362
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
I would jet Johnny right now. I have seen more heart in a cpr dummy.
Recoup a few 1st round pics.

Here are your recouped first round pics.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #9363
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Everyone knows the Flames would like some high draft picks back this year given the unfortunate ending to our season ... so we will be overpaying for them. Pure fantasy to think TJ Brodie alone is going to recoup our deficit.
I’m not convinced this organization is going to bother trying to recoup picks. We’re in win now mode with the current Johnny and Gio window. If picks are traded for, I expect them to be shipped right out to load up for the now. A middling pick that’ll net a player 5 years down the road doesn’t really help this team’s current window.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 09:31 PM   #9364
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I really doubt that the Flames are going to trade off core players for picks instead of addressing roster needs.
They aren't in a mode now of doing that. We can debate if they should be, but I think it is clear they aren't.
Highly likely a major prospect in the system is moved in the off season in my opinion. Probably Rittich as well who might have some value in a multi player trade.

Kylington or Fox I think are the prospects likely to be on the way out. Too late to move Bennett I think, best to see if you can play him as the 4th line C next year and try to move him up the lineup depending on injuries. With Stajan gone I think it's a natural fit for him, his cap hit and contract status.

I think it'll be harder to find a dance partner for Brodie than most on this board. Really hard to gauge his league wide value and the 8 team no-trade that kicked in this year is a wildcard.

If the Islanders end up picking top 10 I feel like the Flames may then be desperate to get back into the 1st round to save some face.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 02:27 AM   #9365
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I really doubt that the Flames are going to trade off core players for picks instead of addressing roster needs.
They aren't in a mode now of doing that. We can debate if they should be, but I think it is clear they aren't.
I really hope they don’t. It doesn’t make any sense. They have holes in their roster, big holes, and trading big name players to recoup picks because you don’t have a first in one draft just makes no sense. All it does it create bigger holes and prolongs the amount of time between now and being a contender.

Look, I get it. Hamonic wasn’t what people had hoped. The draft is going to be pretty boring without a Flames pick, but not having a 1st this year isn’t the end of the world. In fact, I don’t think it will hurt the future of this team that much. Even if the pick wins the lottery, it won’t be as big a loss as it’s being made out to be. There’s no way to know for sure if the pick would win had they kept it.

The team did a good job at stocking up on draft picks a few years ago. They’ve drafted a lot of talent and have some pretty good prospects in the system. The Flames can afford to trade the picks they have. Now, they absolutely shouldn’t be looking to trade any more picks. If they start doing that, then they would start digging themselves a hole. The Flames should (and likely will) look at moving a defenseman and possibly one of our good prospects for some help up front. The Flames will make a hockey move this summer, and a significant one at that. I don’t know who will be involved, but that’s how I see it playing out. Doing that not only helps up front but opens up a spot on the blueline that the young guys can compete for. It would go a long way in getting Adam Fox signed too if he sees there’s a chance he could make the team. As of now there isn’t really a spot for those guys.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #9366
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is Hoffman likely our best option for some added scoring up front? Since in all likelihood we'd be trading D for F, what about Gustav Nyquist from Detroit? Is there any chance Arizona moves some of their young Fwds like Dvorak or Domi to improve their D? Really, I'm looking for a positive distraction from the runaway train of a season we're having.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #9367
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Hoffman might be difficult to pry out of Ottawa this summer. Harder than he would have been at the deadline even.

I think the Flames pair well with Montreal. They need help on the blue line. I won't rule out a deal with Ottawa but my attention this summer will be on the Canadiens.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #9368
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man those 04 jerseys. Why couldn't they have gone back to that.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #9369
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Too late to move Bennett I think, best to see if you can play him as the 4th line C next year and try to move him up the lineup depending on injuries. .

Absurd.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reign of Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 12:41 PM   #9370
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ Yeah, I think the Habs make sense too.. Obvious candidates are Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Pacioretty. Gallagher I think is probably untouchable, I like Patches but I don't know if his age fits with the group, Galchenyuk would be a nice add... He's a LW, any idea if he can play his off wing?
Old 03-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #9371
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
^ Yeah, I think the Habs make sense too.. Obvious candidates are Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Pacioretty. Gallagher I think is probably untouchable, I like Patches but I don't know if his age fits with the group, Galchenyuk would be a nice add... He's a LW, any idea if he can play his off wing?
Yes, he's played all 3 spots in Montreal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #9372
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post

Here are your recouped first round pics.
God damn, thought Nemisz was Lazar!
The Following User Says Thank You to Phaneufenstein For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #9373
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
I’d stay away from Gallagher anyways. Very overrated
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #9374
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
The draft is going to be pretty boring without a Flames pick, but not having a 1st this year isn’t the end of the world. In fact, I don’t think it will hurt the future of this team that much. Even if the pick wins the lottery, it won’t be as big a loss as it’s being made out to be. There’s no way to know for sure if the pick would win had they kept it.

The team did a good job at stocking up on draft picks a few years ago. They’ve drafted a lot of talent and have some pretty good prospects in the system. The Flames can afford to trade the picks they have. Now, they absolutely shouldn’t be looking to trade any more picks. If they start doing that, then they would start digging themselves a hole. The Flames should (and likely will) look at moving a defenseman and possibly one of our good prospects for some help up front. The Flames will make a hockey move this summer, and a significant one at that. I don’t know who will be involved, but that’s how I see it playing out. Doing that not only helps up front but opens up a spot on the blueline that the young guys can compete for. It would go a long way in getting Adam Fox signed too if he sees there’s a chance he could make the team. As of now there isn’t really a spot for those guys.
i think the Flames have been telling themselves this for 30 years. And you can see live and in person what sort of results this approach to draft picks produces by going to any of the remaining home games.

Not drafting in Round One or Two is risk for any franchise in a league that is focused on a draft system, but it is a major major blemish for any team that doesn't make the Dance.

The more i think about this, the more i think that as owner i would tell the entire management staff they are on probation next year for overestimating the ability of this roster and coaching staff which they assembled.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #9375
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Is there any chance Arizona moves some of their young Fwds like Dvorak or Domi to improve their D?
Domi maybe, who do The Flames have as a right handed D they'd move?
Old 03-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #9376
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Domi maybe, who do The Flames have as a right handed D they'd move?
Would definitely give Fox for Domi. Fox would look good with Hjalmarsson.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #9377
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Would definitely give Fox for Domi. Fox would look good with Hjalmarsson.
Fox is friends with Keller too!
Old 03-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #9378
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
Fox is friends with Keller too!
Didn't even know that, I could definitely see a deal going down between these two teams again.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:34 PM   #9379
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Didn't even know that, I could definitely see a deal going down between these two teams again.
I wonder if Arizona would do a deal for a Dman that is unlikely to play for the next couple of years. Might be a tough one for fans to swallow, given this team has been wallowing at the bottom of the league for a while.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:49 PM   #9380
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
^ Galchenyuk would be a nice add... He's a LW, any idea if he can play his off wing?
No, but Tkachuk can.
Closed Thread