Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #241
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I would be calling out Backlund, Frolik, & Stone specifically as veterans .

Since Feb 1st at Even Strength:

- Backlund: GF: 12 GA: 20
- Frolik: GF: 11 GA: 21
- Stone: GF: 6 GA: 16

And Mike Smith with his .879 save percentage in that same time frame hasn't helped things.
I'd be calling out Ferland too. If he wants to be a top winger on this team, he needs to produce more.

He's been ice cold since the bye week and hasn't looked anywhere as dangerous as he did in the beginning of the year. 2 goals in the last 24 games isn't going to cut it.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #242
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I went back and listened to that part of the post game yesterday, and it wasn’t clear what Loubo was referring to.

He was talking about how you can tell a lot about people when times are tough. And that based on some things he’s seen lately it would make some potentially difficult decisions easier.

It didn’t seem obvious what or who he was referring to then....vets, all players, coaches? It was intentionally vague.
Ryan Coke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #243
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Loubo was talking about The cream rising to the top when it's tough. Eg: Gaudreau , Giordano , Chucky to name a few that really stand out in my mind.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #244
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frolik has had an off year. Brouwer has underpreformed his entire contract, but I think we already knew that and can't hang our recent failures on him. When it comes down to it, the team lacks another player who can drive play. Jankowski + Bennett both failed to grow into that 1a/1b centre role that we needed to develop. Bennett looks like a winger and Janko needs consistency or his ceiling is 3C. Until we find another strong play driving centre, we're hooped.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #245
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Guys playing really hurt (Monahan for sure , Ferland to an extent?) get a pass in my books. And guys who only show up in the last 15-20 games when it's too late can get the $&@# out! (Brouwer being the most obvious )

Maybe it's time for a partial retool. Management started the parade about 2 years too soon by giving up picks to go for it with marginal acquisitions. Not sure if this is all on Treliving as I'm sure he was getting pressure to speed things up.

People complained about the GM in Winnipeg for not making trades and things taking too long but look who's laughing now. Winnipeg has the team we wish we had and they did it the right way mostly by the draft
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #246
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Monahan was 6th overall, Bennett 4th overall, Tkachuk was 6th overall. All three could have ended up being top 3 picks.
I’m not calling those bad picks.
Occasionally an Iginla will come from a first round pick outside the top 5, and Tkachuk may develop into a “star” core player, but Bennett and Monahan are not going to be core star players at that level.
And when you trade away your picks in the first 3 rounds, sometimes focusing on size over talent, you end up in the middle of the pack with holes in the prospect pool like the current situation with the Flames - we have good defense propsects, but very little to suggest we’ll get a high scoring forward out of our current prospects or the coming draft.
Steve Bozek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #247
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Another factor is that Vegas was not in the league last year and they are this year and have delivered the Flames 3 of their most disappointing losses.
Not to mention they took a division playoff spot away from the Sharks/Ducks/Kings/Flames.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:01 PM   #248
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Frolik has had an off year. Brouwer has underpreformed his entire contract, but I think we already knew that and can't hang our recent failures on him. When it comes down to it, the team lacks another player who can drive play. Jankowski + Bennett both failed to grow into that 1a/1b centre role that we needed to develop. Bennett looks like a winger and Janko needs consistency or his ceiling is 3C. Until we find another strong play driving centre, we're hooped.
The team put a lot of expectations of the third line producing this season. I think the team really expected a lot more from Bennett-Jankowski-Jagr line. Unfortunately the play for Jagr didn't work out and there was no one else in the organization that could play on that line for long periods of time and be successful. Which can also be said of Ferland on the first line. Makes me wonder if a line of Bennett-Jankowski-Ferland would be successful. Only that leaves the top line RW as a liability with Brouwer or Hathaway.