Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #81
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I don't know if the Flying Clubs out at Springbank still offer "Discovery Flights" but that would be a good and relatively inexpensive idea as well.
I think almost every flying school out at Springbank offers the discovery flights. Usually a choice between a half hour or full hour. I would maybe wait a few years to take your daughter Buzzard, unless she is really tall she might not get a great view from the left hand seat. Perhaps call and ask if they have a pillow or other booster that would allow her to see over the instrument panel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Oh yeah, we've been doing that for years. In fact that might have been where the interest started, as I've been a bit of a plane spotter nerd for some time also. Many Peter's burgers, milkshakes and Ice Caps have been consumed over off McKnight. It's a pretty crappy viewing area though. Hopefully the new terminal/runway will provide better spotting areas.
Do you only spot at the McKnight area? There are many more spots that are great depending on what runways are in use.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #82
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I think almost every flying school out at Springbank offers the discovery flights. Usually a choice between a half hour or full hour. I would maybe wait a few years to take your daughter Buzzard, unless she is really tall she might not get a great view from the left hand seat. Perhaps call and ask if they have a pillow or other booster that would allow her to see over the instrument panel?

Do you only spot at the McKnight area? There are many more spots that are great depending on what runways are in use.
Funny you mention that. She's very tall for her age. Taller than her mother now.

Well, that's where we usually go. Also the little spot off McCall Way just east of Westjet. They're the only (legal) places I know of.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #83
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Buzzard, there's a guy giving free flights to kids at the Airdrie Airport later in May. I'll try and find some contact info for you. Might be a good way to get her up in the air.

May 28 I'm pretty sure.

That's of course assuming (and I haven't read) you don't take her up all the time.

But might be nice for someone else to see too.

Last edited by Jayems; 04-17-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jayems For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #84
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

That sounds great! Thanks!

Did some googling...this must be what you're referring too?

http://www.airdrieflyingclub.ca/copakids.htm

Last years dates. Cant seem to find this year's.

Last edited by Buzzard; 04-17-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #85
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Oddly enough I've never really went plane spotting other than in airports themselves (or the highways by them I suppose, or flying above my house).

I went to Google Maps to see where the best spots to watch for YHZ are, and found this A320 (I think) taking off from runway 23 (I'm assuming it's 23 and not 05, I don't know which side they'd necessarily consider the runway per say)

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #86
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Even if for only a few hours, being stuck like that must really suck!

My daughter is only 12, but she has a real unusual (for gender and age) interest in airplanes, flying, geography, etc. Her favorite TV show is Mayday, I kid not. I'd love for her to maintain that as she gets older. Still pretty young I know, but any tips you can think of to help nurture that along the way? I don't know what the minimum age is to get private license, but I thought that would make an excellent sweet sixteen present.
The overnights are great when we get them, though even 45 minutes in Mexico is nice in the middle of winter, though a bit of a tease .

You've already got some great tips for your daughter from other posts, and the introductory/discovery flight is a great idea. If she does a couple of those the next few years, then she can see if she wants to pursue it more as she gets old enough. Be warned that it is an expensive hobby/career path...a private license these days must be around $10k. There is also a recreation pilot license that is cheaper, but flying overall is not a cheap endeavor.

I enjoy Mayday too, though my wife doesn't like to watch it. A little sensationalized, but still mostly accurate. There is a saying in this business "learn from the mistakes of others, as you won't live long enough to make them all yourself".

If you or your daughter have any more questions feel free to PM me, I still remember well being on the other side of the airport fence when I was young.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #87
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Oddly enough I've never really went plane spotting other than in airports themselves (or the highways by them I suppose, or flying above my house).

I went to Google Maps to see where the best spots to watch for YHZ are, and found this A320 (I think) taking off from runway 23 (I'm assuming it's 23 and not 05, I don't know which side they'd necessarily consider the runway per say
Yep that's an A320, it's C-FFWN. Air Canada has since repainted this plane into the standard colors.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #88
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Growing up pilot was my number one career choice. Alas that didn't pan out, however I'd still love to work in the aviation industry in some way shape or form if the opportunity ever arose.

I seem to recall 16 being the magic age where you can get a pilot's licence.

As for Mayday it's one of my favourite shows as well, friends say they won't watch it before they fly. I tell them why not? You know that whatever the problem was it was fixed and won't happen.
Ive watched May day on more then one flight lol... Never put it on if anyone else is in my row though.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #89
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Yep that's an A320, it's C-FFWN. Air Canada has since repainted this plane into the standard colors.
One of the best special liveries ever. I miss it.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #90
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Apparently, the roundabout connecting Barlow Trail to McCall Way is complete.

This makes it possible to get to the WestJet/Cargo area without Driving on McKnight or crossing McKnight from the south.

From April 3rd until now, anyone going to that area had no other option but to use the McKnight Blvd/19th Street/McCall Way intersection.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #91
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Apparently, the roundabout connecting Barlow Trail to McCall Way is complete.
Meant to mention this. The tie-ins were finished up last week.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #92
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Airport Authority is currently presenting to City Council this morning. I assume this has to do with their expansions and the "tunderpass".
Old 04-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #93
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't know if this was answered, but with the addition of the new runway and terminal, does this mean we'll see more 747's and possibly A380's?
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #94
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The Airport Authority is currently presenting to City Council this morning. I assume this has to do with their expansions and the "tunderpass".
Yes. The clock is ticking if they want to get the tunnel built before the runway is put in. If they need to start digging in June, they need a plan in place pretty soon.

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alber.../18026246.html

I don't understand why the Airport Authority seems to be dragging their feet on this. Is it just a ploy to get more money out of the city, or is there a reason they don't want traffic under their runway (besides the potential security concern of someone setting off a bomb in the tunnel)?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #95
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Apparently, Alderman Stevenson has a draft agreement in hand for the tunnel, that he will be looking at today. Hopefully that is good news.

According to the council meeting, the new terminal will have significant geothermal heating, as well as significant rainwater collection.

Like I said, they are aiming for a LEED gold certification.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #96
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yes. The clock is ticking if they want to get the tunnel built before the runway is put in. If they need to start digging in June, they need a plan in place pretty soon.

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alber.../18026246.html

I don't understand why the Airport Authority seems to be dragging their feet on this. Is it just a ploy to get more money out of the city, or is there a reason they don't want traffic under their runway (besides the potential security concern of someone setting off a bomb in the tunnel)?
I think they are just taking a cautious approach to the negotiations and seeking more certainty on issues that are peripheral to the tunnel itself but still highly relevant to their operations vis-a-vis their interface with the City. The deal will get done and shovels will be in the ground in a timely manner.

In my opinion, almost every delay and perceived time crunch involved in getting this tunnel done rests mostly at the feet of the City. The situation has been known for literally decades, and the hard deadline for construction on the new runway has been set for a few years now. The City (mostly past City Councils, and this one too a bit) have been the ones dragging their feet and making this thing an 11th hour deal.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #97
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tying this into transit issues, the prospect of an automated people-mover to the west was just touched on again when the Airport Authority CEO was asked about future transit service to the airport.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #98
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Tying this into transit issues, the prospect of an automated people-mover to the west was just touched on again when the Airport Authority CEO was asked about future transit service to the airport.
And it is interesting to note that the Airport still seems to assuming a Nose Creek alignment LRT line, while it sounds like the city has all but abandoned the Nose Creek alignment, or is seriously looking at alternatives - open houses coming up will show city recommending centre street alignment or Edmonton Trail alignment - either of which would mean that a people mover would require to connect all the way to Harvest Hills Blvd.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #99
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
Don't know if this was answered, but with the addition of the new runway and terminal, does this mean we'll see more 747's and possibly A380's?
Short answer: No.

Long answer: The new parallel runway will finally allow operations without intersecting runways. The extra length is a godsend to ALL aircraft types on high density altitude days. YYC sits at 3557' above sea level, however due to temperature and pressure the air can either be thicker or lighter (to keep it simple). So on a 25 degree summer day the density altitude could be up at 8000', and the aircraft and its engines will perform like it is already at that altitude. So that equals things like more runway needed to takeoff since the aircraft engines aren't performing at full sea level power.

So this extra runway will allow all aircraft types to possibly depart at maximum weight or closer to it. That can either mean they are taking more fuel (to fly farther) or cargo/passengers (more money). So it does open up the possibility of increased 747 ops (most likely cargo if any), but I highly doubt we'll ever see the A380 here (unless one diverts due to some reason).

The media wrongly keeps focusing on the new runways length as a reason for more "jumbo jet" traffic. Totally missing the density altitude and parallel runway operation reasons. Which are why it is going ahead.

Edit: One note about possible A380 diversions. YYC has a pretty decent chance of that occurring one day, as both Lufthansa and Air France will be shortly introducing the A380 on their flights to San Francisco (not too mention Emirates and all their A380 ops). Quite a lot of those routes will bring the aircraft near the Calgary area.

Last edited by Bigtime; 04-18-2011 at 10:44 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #100
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
And it is interesting to note that the Airport still seems to assuming a Nose Creek alignment LRT line, while it sounds like the city has all but abandoned the Nose Creek alignment, or is seriously looking at alternatives - open houses coming up will show city recommending centre street alignment or Edmonton Trail alignment - either of which would mean that a people mover would require to connect all the way to Harvest Hills Blvd.
They have to. That's the City's official alignment as things currently stand. See my recent post in the Calgary Public Transit thread about this for more information.

While I say that the Airport Authority is still entertaining a connection to the west (including possibly a people mover), the overall message seemed to be that they will take their cues from what the City's plans and priorities are in regard to transit. The airport still has to keep all possibilities in mind, including a Nose Creek-aligned North Central LRT. They are also keeping in mind a connection to the NE LRT, either to the east or to the north when it eventually swings west to pass by the airport on its norther boundary.

Even without the Nose Creek alignment, there will still probably be some sort of hub at 96th Ave. and Nose Creek with future commuter rail and high speed rail.

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc