Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames Expectations - to be, or not to be.... a Contender

Does this team have what it takes to be a contender and even hoist a Stanley Cup?

There has been a lot of concern among numerous posters despite a decent start as far as Wins-Losses is concerned. There has also been numerous posters satisfied with how the team is playing and the direction of team.

I think there is more to it than at this point managing to get some wins early and assuming that things will result in a competitive season. I think an underlying reason a lot of posters are concerned despite the .500 start is the fact that this team has built around and locked up its 'Core' and to an extent has mortgaged the future in order to see results in the next 3 seasons or so and you could say the flames are 'all in'. We have dealt a high amount of top picks starting with the 2017 draft and ending with the 2019 draft. We have accumulated a good prospect pool which has allowed flexibilty but it's a slippery slope.

Is above average good enough right now? Most fans are looking for the team to take that next step into elite contender status, even if subconscious, and if they're not there yet and there are signs that they may not get there the uneasiness will be conveyed in this forum.

As its built (Roster and prospects) does this team have what it takes to be a contender? Do you think its fair to expect management to have built a contender considering the team is 'All In' on the current roster?

Last edited by Samonadreau; 10-22-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are only two ways this team will be a contender without another rebuild. Janko becomes a 1C or Bennett does. Maaaaaybe Ruzicka as a long shot.

They don't have the offensive firepower otherwise.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not until we get another legit centre. I think adding a player like Duchane without subtracting any other core piece (other than maybe Bennett) we could have a chance.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

We clearly need more offense, it's just not close right now. Janko working out as a scoring centre or Bennett being moved to wing and becoming a 30 goal guy would get us closer.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nope relegated to a merely good not great team.

Whiffing on their top five pick in the heart of the rebuild has sealed it.

Now there's no more futures in the way of draft picks. The team is mostly set for this window and it really doesn't look good enough.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
There are only two ways this team will be a contender without another rebuild. Janko becomes a 1C or Bennett does. Maaaaaybe Ruzicka as a long shot.

They don't have the offensive firepower otherwise.
I am not sure we need two 1C's to be a contender.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Without a franchise center we are in line to be the next wave of the good, but not great teams like St.Louis and Minnesota

Last edited by Love; 10-22-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #8
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Expectations are to be a contender. Management made that clear when willing to deal the 1st and 2nd rounders out.

The real question is whether they can live up to those expectations.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #9
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nope, this team should make the playoffs every year with the core they have. But I don't see it a contender without having some more legit firepower upfront.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #10
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
We clearly need more offense, it's just not close right now. Janko working out as a scoring centre or Bennett being moved to wing and becoming a 30 goal guy would get us closer.
Our supporting cast is just really no good. Matt stajan lol why is this man still in the nhl. We have no secondary scoring threat its quite pathetic
RoughRiderRowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #11
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

We're one legitimate scoring threat on the first line wing away from being in the conversation. If management continues to play the revolving door game at 1RW, we're all going to look back and wonder, "what if Gaudreau and Monahan actually had a real linemate all those years?". If I could slot a player in the league onto that line, it would be someone like Wayne Simmonds. His contract situation does not work in terms of a trade, but a player in that mold would fit perfectly. But at the end of the day, we need another very good player there because Johnny and Sean will never carry dead weight to a cup.

Our bottom six as stands doesn't cut it, but Jankowski will be there this season and I'm praying to Jeebus that Bennett is finally moved to the wing for the time being. With guys like Dube and Lomberg ready to jump into the bottom six soon, it will function better than it does now with tools like Stajan and Glass and Hamilton.

Our defense is set, both presently and 3-5 years down the road. Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki, Fox is a nice group. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them moved for help up front at some point.

Goaltending seems great, Smith looks like he's going to be a rock for us and honestly Parsons is probably already close to Gillies and Rittich, it's only a matter of a couple years before he forces management's hands with his play and leapfrogs them both.

I think there's potential for them to be serious contenders but they're one or two moves away as I don't see any internal options at RW unless Bennett somehow found his way onto that line and a miracle happened. I expect us to make some noise in the playoffs this year but we are not in that 4-5 team conversation as legitimate Cup threats and likely won't be in three years if we don't make some tough decisions.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #12
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderRowdy View Post
Matt stajan lol why is this man still in the nhl.
Because he has a contract with an NHL team. The same reason Denis Wideman remained in the NHL last year.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #13
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

You would need to have accomplished more than the Flames to be considered a contender. I remain hopeful the squad will show some further development so I’m far from writing them off as a contender.

I believe the Flames plan was to win games by controlling play from the back end. Atleast their moves are evidence of this. I am a little skeptical this is a championship strategy and curious to see if BT will be able to make moves by tinkering with his actual roster.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:50 PM   #14
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not even close yet
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #15
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the team is close and shows flashes having that potential. I was/am pretty high on the roster but it seems like something isnt right with the team. Im a supporter of GG and think if is his sytem is executed properly it can be successful, i do sometimes wonder though if this team is capable of executing it consistently. We do need more scoring and im not sure if that can from eithinor by a move. Not only more scoring but an offensive sparkplug - another player who has the ability to carry a line.

Janko could be thay player and needs a shot. Hes 23 and ready to play.

Bennett could be that guy - its too early to write him off but as of right now its just not quite there yet.

I wonder what management thought going into the season. Tre had voiced his concerns about scoring. Obviously he has so far nailed it on the Smith trade and Hamonic has been solid. But the team has looked no better outside of Smith to start this season then to start last seadon when they had started from scratch with GG. I wonder if management were thinking of contender when they brought Hamonic in. Its strange that he has shored up the top 4 but is that enough to carry the team ? i thought it wad but unsure now.

I also think the team needs more youth. Lazar brings speed and an edge but isnt left in the lineup long enough to make an impact. I think adding Janko and even a Mangiapane type in a bit would add that youth that could give the team a spark. I dont know if its enough but its just not there yet otherwise.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:44 PM   #16
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe the whole is less than the sum of its parts. This defensive group has never been as good of a unit as it should be. This shouldn’t be a team that has to score a lot of goals to win games but it’s just that. I think the forward talent is good but a top 10 offense is required due to the way the defense leaks scoring chances. I don’t know if Hamonic is the shutdown defender this organization sorely lacks.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #17
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The fact a 45 year old with no training camp can find his way onto our #1 line - is a troubling sign if you think this team is close to being contender. We will be finding our way for a few years yet
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #18
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The team is close to being a contender this year if everything goes right including Smith staying hot, Bennett getting on the score sheet, and somebody stepping up as the top line RW. The Flames are built very similar to Nashville with a deep defence supporting an average forward group. If the Preds can get close to a Stanley Cup, why can't the Flames?

Next year is where I think their contender window starts to open with Stajan coming off the books and a Brouwer buy out being realistic. This should allow Treliving the room to acquire the missing piece of a top line RW even with having to re-sign Backlund and possibly Smith.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:09 PM   #19
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a little bit of everything except goaltending surprisingly this year. If there was one thing I say that's going to make the biggest difference, it's the lack of good depth.

Other posters have pointed out, the best teams all have depth. Ours isn't and hasn't been even adequate in actually producing. It's largely fallen on the likes of Bennett and Brouwer either having decent showings but not producing or just looking bad.

Jagr and Brouwer last season were the signings to give the 3rd line a reliable veteran presence but neither has really panned out so far.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #20
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

We looked like a contender for most of last season. No reason why we can't do that again.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote