Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #301
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
The same people defending Bennett for his garbage play were defending Colborne as well.

And then when he didn't sign with the Flames they kept defending him saying Flames couldn't afford him...then he went on waivers and nobody picked him up and then silence. He's now in the AHL.

Criticism sometimes is absolutely warranted. Would be nice if some could actually do that instead of looking like they are the PR team for the Flames.
What's annoying for a lot of people is that every second post by you is about Bennett. We get it you think he's a bust. You are turning into the new Moon. You get it in your head that you hate a player and you just never stop beating the dead horse. What more can you say about him that you haven't already said? Surely you understand this teams issues extend past one player right? It's just making this place hard to visit when it's the same small handful of posters repeating the same stuff every day about their whipping boys.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 10:58 AM   #302
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What's annoying for a lot of people is that every second post by you is about Bennett. We get it you think he's a bust. You are turning into the new Moon. You get it in your head that you hate a player and you just never stop beating the dead horse. What more can you say about him that you haven't already said? Surely you understand this teams issues extend past one player right? It's just making this place hard to visit when it's the same small handful of posters repeating the same stuff every day about their whipping boys.
It's annoying when people come in and try to shut down discussion constantly and why I will continue to beat the dead horse.

When I said Colborne was awful you had several dozen posts calling me stupid and defending Colborne in the same way people are trying to make my opinion seem foolish now. Bennett is struggling at center anyone with one iota of hockey knowledge can see it. When posters say "wow you have no patience" it is irritating because I have patience for Bennett but not as a Center. As a winger I think he fan be effective because he does have a skillset but one that lacks the IQ needed to be a center.

And posts like yours that state "you think he's a bust" is why I guess I have to repeat myself because I've never said that and don't believe that. As a Center he will not be successful in this league. As a winger he can be.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #303
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's annoying when people come in and try to shut down discussion constantly and why I will continue to beat the dead horse.

When I said Colborne was awful you had several dozen posts calling me stupid and defending Colborne in the same way people are trying to make my opinion seem foolish now. Bennett is struggling at center anyone with one iota of hockey knowledge can see it. When posters say "wow you have no patience" it is irritating because I have patience for Bennett but not as a Center. As a winger I think he fan be effective because he does have a skillset but one that lacks the IQ needed to be a center.

And posts like yours that state "you think he's a bust" is why I guess I have to repeat myself because I've never said that and don't believe that. As a Center he will not be successful in this league. As a winger he can be.
I don't think you are stupid. I just think you are an extremely excitable person with very narrow focus.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #304
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The same people defending Bennett for his garbage play were defending Colborne as well.

And then when he didn't sign with the Flames they kept defending him saying Flames couldn't afford him...then he went on waivers and nobody picked him up and then silence. He's now in the AHL.

Criticism sometimes is absolutely warranted. Would be nice if some could actually do that instead of looking like they are the PR team for the Flames.
I'm defending Bennett, and I never liked Colborne - so was this directed at me? Because it would seem so, as you've taken issue with me being patient with player development before.

Criticism is warranted, patience should also be allowed. Expecting everyone to "wow" right away is a fool's errand. We've been lucky in that we found two #6 overall picks that walked right into the NHL (speaks to the depth of those draft years, and luck). Outside of that? Gaudreau spend significant time developing away from the NHL, as did Jankowski. We also shouldn't forget that Monahan has protected in his first year, and then moved up to playing with Gaudreau in his 2nd year. Tkachuk is having plenty of success as part of a line that Bennett also had plenty of success with. The team, in Bennett's 2nd year, asked him to be the center piece of the 3rd line and carry the load alone - meanwhile Tkachuk still gets to benefit by playing with very good linemates. This can't be ignored. It's fair to wish for more from Bennett, and I do, but I'm also not going to ignore the circumstances surrounding his position on the team. Should he be a winger? Well, moving him to the wing on the 3rd line so..Stajan can play centre on that line? That makes no sense. Right now I think the team should be focusing on building that 3rd line, not just letting Bennett rot on it alone. If it means Jankowski coming up to the NHL and playing on that 3rd line with Bennett? Cool, that sounds awesome.

Backlund was pushed into the NHL at a young age, and it took him a long, long time develop into what he is today (a cornerstone defensive centre). There was a lot of impatience show towards him around here - including from me. Watching Backlund develop into what he has become though was a lesson learned. Player development at the NHL level can take time, and if the player has the raw skill and work ethic, then it's going to be worth it. I believe Bennett is worth it.

Last edited by ComixZone; 10-22-2017 at 11:43 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #305
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

As far, as I remember, that Backlund development wasn't exactly a gradual steady process. It was more like he was well on his way to bust and then some incident, like a shouting match with Playfair, turned him around. So, if Bennett is indeed following Backlund's trajectory, it doesn't mean that Bennett is alright. It may very well mean, that Bennett needs some serious kick in the nuts or some other external disturbance to turn him around.

Edited:

I have found it. It wasn't exactly patience, that turned Backlund into what he is now. If anything, it was the opposite of patience. And if the way the Flames have brought around Backlund is the way to go wtih Bennett, maybe it's time to stop being patient with Bennett and give him something like this:

"He was this close to my face,'' Mikael Backlund is recalling, holding the palm of one hand up to touch the tip of his nose. "And he was yelling at me. I mean, yelling at me.

"I don't know how long it lasted. Felt like 10 or 15 minutes.

"'Spoiled! Never make it to the NHL!' All that. He really ripped into me.

"I was devastated."

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flam...ey/c-286642406

Last edited by Pointman; 10-22-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #306
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I remember when I made the comment last year at the start of the season:

"Bennett at centre won't translate well to the NHL league. He needs to play wing"

I was ripped to shreds by some of the "intelligent" hockey fans on here.

It doesn't take a genius to see Bennett's game hasn't translated well to the pro leagues.
Considering one below average season and an above average playoff performance has passed since your comment, and Bennet has just turned 21, not 26 without putting it together at centre, the quality of your original comment hasn’t changed.

It doesn’t take a genius to see it hasn’t translated well. But it takes just a little bit of smarts to see a definitive statement on the future of his development like “won’t translate” is misguided and premature. Hasn’t after 2 seasons =/= “won’t,” so it’s not a comment i’d be proud to stand behind anytime soon.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #307
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don’t think Bennett’s a bust he’s just not going to be a star. 15-20goals 20sh points is not a bust.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #308
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Once you admit you’re beating a dead horse maybe it’s time to finds something else to talk about, isn’t it?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #309
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe instead of a center or winger he should be sitting in the press box eating popcorn. He currently adds nothing. Brouwer played better this year, think about that for a minute.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #310
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
I don’t think Bennett’s a bust he’s just not going to be a star. 15-20goals 20sh points is not a bust.
For the highest pick in franchise history, that's a big fat bust.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:03 PM   #311
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Opportunity to give Bennett a real shot on wing here with Janko likely coming up. If GG doesn’t take it then I’m really going to start questioning his ego. He’s always made the right call with things like this in the past, but for some reason he’s just stuck on the Bennett at C thing.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #312
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Opportunity to give Bennett a real shot on wing here with Janko likely coming up. If GG doesn’t take it then I’m really going to start questioning his ego. He’s always made the right call with things like this in the past, but for some reason he’s just stuck on the Bennett at C thing.
Seems pretty obvious this isn't Gulutzans call at the moment. Treliving has talked about keeping him at center for awhile now.

The organization has decided Bennett is a center and willing to go through the growing pains. Hopefully Sam starts putting up some points or they collectively decide its time to pull the chute and try him on the wing.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:16 PM   #313
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jake Virtanen having a better season so far. SMH
Old 10-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #314
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just watching highlights may not be the best way to gauge a player's ability but the question of is Bennett a winger or centre is urgent.

To me, based on AC's videos, Bennett is an extremely dynamic, highly skilled player who has fancy skill and hard skill. Added to that he is a ferocious hitter who does everything hard. Skates hard, hits hard, forechecks hard. What he brings to the table is unique and impressive.

Wherever he lines up, this organization needs to help him actualize his vast potential. He has the potential to be the best player on this team with everything he brings to the table.

I'm extremely confident the organization wants to do this but I guess it is still an open question to them whether he maximizes on the wing or at centre. My thing is, if it's at centre it needs to be with good players. To me Versteeg and Ferland are not going to get him there. I like those guys but Bennett needs more. He's not a third line talent and that's what he's been so far given to play with. I understand the difficulties in a salary cap to get better players but I'm speaking more about Bennett's development - making him the best player he can be.

Maybe it is on the wing, where he won't have to read the entire ice and can just be a dominant winger - his skills are undeniable and aggression could be let loose with a heavy forecheck.

He needs to be in a postion to succeed.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 10-22-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #315
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let him try the wing. But he can always play C in a pinch. Waive Freddie, call up Janko and Hathaway.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #316
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Seems pretty obvious this isn't Gulutzans call at the moment. Treliving has talked about keeping him at center for awhile now.

The organization has decided Bennett is a center and willing to go through the growing pains. Hopefully Sam starts putting up some points or they collectively decide its time to pull the chute and try him on the wing.
Glen hasn't shied away from putting Bennett on the wing in the past. Remember when both Versteeg and Johnny went down last November? I believe he was on LW with Monahan and Brouwer, and that they did OK for a few games as a unit. And we know that Bennett did decent with Backlund-Frolik as a rookie.

It's definitely an organizational mandate, trying to develop him at center rather than giving him reps on the wing. But with a top six winger in Jagr out in the short term, this opens up a bit of a 'tinkering' window where you can try out Bennett on the top line to see if there's any improvement, and stick Janko in for him temporarily and see how he does in that role.

If both do spectacularly well, the organization has some thinking to do, but I believe they'll ultimately try out Bennett - Janko - Versteeg.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #317
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You seem to get annoyed about people talking about Bennett, seems like others get annoyed as well. Maybe you should be the one to stay away from forums discussing Bennett or Jankwoski. People love to talk about what people can or can't post here, sorry it's a sports forum. Jesus Christ

Last edited by Beninho; 10-22-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #318
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've had the opinion that Sam Bennett will only find success as a winger in the NHL.......that's if he does find success.

It's laughable at best that the Flames organization and a large part of CP think he's a Center.

The kid doesn't have the Hockey IQ needed to be one. I don't know what it's going to take for everyone to realize that he's a square peg trying to fit into a round hole.

Move him to the wing and unchain him from the responsibilities of a Center in Gulutzan's system and let him fly.

OR if you're really hell-bent on making Bennett a Center then you need to fire Gulutzan because his system requires a lot from the Center in their own zone and through the neutral zone.

I think Bennett is a player who's confidence is completely reliant on his offensive numbers and the Flames aren't putting him in a position to succeed there and rack up as many points as possible.

After a year and a half, why can't we play Bennett with Monahan and Gaudreau for a few games and go from there? What's the downside?

I'm just appalled at the lack of creativity on part of the coaching staff. They've stuck him in the 3C hole and just left him there since. Even the greatest players get moved around during times when they struggle.

Last edited by robaur; 10-22-2017 at 08:24 PM.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robaur For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 07:02 AM   #319
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give him time on the wing. Nothing says you can't move him back later. I just dont think he has the hockey iq to play center yet.
If he plays well on the wing then what's the harm of doing it? It's not like we're hurting for centers.

Hell, the Flyers are trying Giroux on the wing to get him going, and it's working. Why can't Calgary do it for Bennett?

Last edited by btimbit; 10-23-2017 at 07:05 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #320
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Janko called up move Bennett to 3rd line wing or press box. Anyone who says he should play with Mony and Johnny on 1st line are out to lunch. Needs to earn any line promotion playing on the 3rd line or watching a few games in the stands first. Don't mess with the top line. Bennett's bad play is more than him playing center.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote