Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #1381
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
McTeague thinks Kenney will not hesitate to use oil and gas exports to punish both B.C. and Quebec for their opposition to new pipelines.

“Rather than having batched one day diesel, next day gas, next day light crude, next day heavy crude, that could be amended to send only crude and as a result force gasoline to be sent down by different means,” McTeague said. “That would have the effect of, obviously, creating some discomfort for Vancouver and the Lower Mainland.”
I'd be interested to hear from posters in BC how they think the Province would react to Alberta following through on these threats. Would people be more angry with Horgan or Kenney if gas suddenly shot to $2.00? To me it's a high risk high reward strategy of either putting massive local pressure on Horgan or alienating a good portion of the majority of British Columbians who are logical enough to support the pipeline. If Kenney were to do this I'd really hope he does a good job of doing his homework and taking the temperature of public opinion rather than lashing out in anger.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #1382
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you want to "step into the 21st century" then STOP USING OIL. Just don't use it. There, you've become one of the good people not those evil planet killing Albertans.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #1383
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Chances are it will rally a us versus them mentality in BC and that we're punishing normal people for the stupidity of the government.

But it won't rally people over to the pipeline side of things.

At this point, all that Alberta can really do is wait for the next election in BC in 2020 I think and hope that a more friendly government comes into play, because the current nimrods aren't going to stop.

Look, I'm angry as hell about the obstructionist government there.

I tend to think that the smarter move would be to find a way to tariff goods coming into Alberta from BC to make them less competitive here, and let BC fight that in court while we obstruct the crap out of them. Plus it would allow us to make up some of the cash that Alberta is losing.

Also since goods that come across borders are carbon tax exempt, find a way to reverse that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #1384
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a by election coming up in BC next month. The NDP likely hold the seat but if the Liberals can pick it up that would leave the legislature at an even split with the speaker having to break a tie on every vote. At that point all is takes is for 1 NDP or Green MLA to miss a vote, get sick, get hurt, etc and the government could fall.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:49 PM   #1385
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
There is a by election coming up in BC next month. The NDP likely hold the seat but if the Liberals can pick it up that would leave the legislature at an even split with the speaker having to break a tie on every vote. At that point all is takes is for 1 NDP or Green MLA to miss a vote, get sick, get hurt, etc and the government could fall.
I think I'm picking up what you're putting down...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #1386
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't really thinking that but now that you mention it I wonder what Jeff Gillooly is up to these days?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:15 AM   #1387
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Chances are it will rally a us versus them mentality in BC and that we're punishing normal people for the stupidity of the government.

But it won't rally people over to the pipeline side of things.

At this point, all that Alberta can really do is wait for the next election in BC in 2020 I think and hope that a more friendly government comes into play, because the current nimrods aren't going to stop.

Look, I'm angry as hell about the obstructionist government there.

I tend to think that the smarter move would be to find a way to tariff goods coming into Alberta from BC to make them less competitive here, and let BC fight that in court while we obstruct the crap out of them. Plus it would allow us to make up some of the cash that Alberta is losing.

Also since goods that come across borders are carbon tax exempt, find a way to reverse that.
With respect to tariffs, what are the most common items coming from BC to Alberta? I honestly don't know but I assume that one of the biggest is lumber. While it would be great to hurt a big industry in BC imposing tariffs on lumber would hurt local Albertans a lot as the increased prices would just be passed along to the consumer.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #1388
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
With respect to tariffs, what are the most common items coming from BC to Alberta? I honestly don't know but I assume that one of the biggest is lumber. While it would be great to hurt a big industry in BC imposing tariffs on lumber would hurt local Albertans a lot as the increased prices would just be passed along to the consumer.

Lumber, seafood, fruits and vegetables.

https://www.richmond-news.com/news/b...cil-1.23172375

BC exports to Alberta exceeded BC Exports to China

Natural gas is possibly the biggest one.

The article above talks about polling trains on the way to BC.

I tend to think that after Notley got nothing for the BC Wine ban and pulled it, that it would be the logical place to start again.

But none of this is going to happen.

Instead this whole Transmountain thing is going to be fought in the courts for years and years to come.

Environmental Groups are already preparing lawsuits pointing at insufficient consultation once the consultation period ends. Basically there was never any intent by those groups to allow the consultations happen in good faith.

The minute the report is released unless its a clear killing of transmountain the courts will be stacked with lawsuits from opposing indigenous groups and environmental groups seeking to have the approval quashed.

There will also be a push to have the whole thing studied under the new processes that will be unleashed under Bill C-69 once its passed into law. If that happens, Trans-mountain will be shelved for years.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:05 PM   #1389
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any chance of a Canadian "Mueller" investigation into the American corporate and special interest groups who are funding the environmentalist campaign?

Attacking Canadian sovereignty wouldn't be cool with Albertans, BC or anyone else. I'm not sure why this angle isn't jammed down everyone's throats on a daily basis.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #1390
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Any chance of a Canadian "Mueller" investigation into the American corporate and special interest groups who are funding the environmentalist campaign?

Attacking Canadian sovereignty wouldn't be cool with Albertans, BC or anyone else. I'm not sure why this angle isn't jammed down everyone's throats on a daily basis.
Because no one cares. Alberta doesn’t matter in this “federation”.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:34 PM   #1391
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Because no one cares. Alberta doesn’t matter in this “federation”.
That doesn't have as much to do with Alberta, as making sure that BC is aware that they are being 'played' by a foreign power.

Another nation actively shutting down our energy sector should be a bigger, constant, story.

All we here are domestic angles.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:16 PM   #1392
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

They would have to investigate lead now which lead the anti-Harper campaign in the last election and poured a bunch of money into campaigning for Liberal candidates.

So no, there's never going to be an investigation. Remember the Conservatives wanted audits of environmental groups around where their money was coming from and the first thing the Liberal government did was kill it.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 01-06-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:53 PM   #1393
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would have to be a grass roots, we'll funded social media campaign into the foreign funding.

When Kenney talks about the oil industry having to get more involved in the fight, it is this sort of thing that he's talking about.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:15 AM   #1394
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Vivian Krause has done exactly that. She presented her findings to Notley as well. Not sure what if anything Notley has done with the findings.

Quote:
Krause, an independent investigator, hired a Calgary law firm to look into the legality of the Tar Sands Campaign, and whether it was indeed charitable activity. She has since shared the law firm’s findings with Rachel Notley’s office.

When I ask the NDP if the government is considering Krause’s push for legal action against these U.S. foundations, cabinet spokesperson Mike McKinnon of the Ministry of Energy says: “Ms. Krause has been a tireless champion of our energy industry and we appreciate her thorough investigative work. We will continue to consider all options going forward, legal and otherwise, in our fight for market access and top dollar for our oil.”

Krause says Notley has the credibility to lead this effort. “I appreciate her approach. She’s measured. She’s firm. She’s not going to over-reach. I want a measured piece of litigation, a nice Canadian, ‘Please stop land-locking our crude.’ ”
https://edmontonjournal.com/business...-the-oil-sands
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #1395
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The refinery that the Alberta government wants built will be meaningless without transportation

https://business.financialpost.com/c...-glut-solution

Old 01-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #1396
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The refinery that the Alberta government wants built will be meaningless without transportation

https://business.financialpost.com/c...-glut-solution

As if that was not immediately known.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #1397
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

A look at the Alberta job numbers.

https://calgaryherald.com/business/l...r-forcehttp://

Quote:
Upwards of 8,000 new jobs were created in the Calgary area in the past year, but a declining labour force has some economists worried that some have given up trying to find work in a struggling Alberta economy.

An average of 893,000 people were employed in the Calgary Economic Region in 2018, up from 884,000 a year before, according to the city’s 2018 labour market review.

But compared to 2017, the number of people not in the labour force grew by 24,000.

The region’s unemployment rate was 7.6 per cent last year, higher than the rate of 6.6 per cent throughout Alberta and 5.9 per cent across Canada.

The unemployment rate measures the number of people who are actually in the workforce and don’t have jobs. To be in the workforce, someone without a job must declare that they are actively seeking employment.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 PM   #1398
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There are some that think Krause is off the mark

http://theamericanenergynews.com/mar...rgy/krause-aom
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:30 AM   #1399
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
There are some that think Krause is off the mark

http://theamericanenergynews.com/mar...rgy/krause-aom
He doesn’t deny that this funding is occurring. He saying Krauses conclusions of the motivation and affect of the money are incorrect.

So it’s not quite correct to say he thinks Krause is off the mark it’s more correct to say he believes that the funding uncovered is not the cause of today’s situation and that victim hood will not help move Alberta forward.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 01:59 AM   #1400
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
He doesn’t deny that this funding is occurring. He saying Krauses conclusions of the motivation and affect of the money are incorrect.

So it’s not quite correct to say he thinks Krause is off the mark it’s more correct to say he believes that the funding uncovered is not the cause of today’s situation and that victim hood will not help move Alberta forward.
Yes, that is what I mean by off the mark. Her funding data has less bearing on the pipeline situation than the Edmonton journal article suggests

Something more recent

https://energi.news/markham-on-energ...racy-nonsense/
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote