Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #2381
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

To ease that vacancy situation, I'd like to see the following things happen over the next 10 years:
- conversion of appropriate buildings to residential units
- upgrade of all commercial buildings to LEED gold standards and fibre optics / upcoming tech (this is going to be mandatory for both tech-heavy companies and business optics)
- conversion of some existing commercial space to more affordable co-working spaces that can be multi-leased by smaller companies (basically "pay as you go" office space)
- more amenities in buildings to provide incentives to stay downtown past business hours (e.g. gyms, courts, studios, event space, etc.)
- anchor tenants on ground level that meet basic demands (need a grocery store, hardware store, etc.) in the core
- better and faster transportation options into the core (e.g. Green and SE lines completed)
- express train transit to the Airport (for business an downtown travelers)
- less hostile sidewalk experiences (e.g. much of 5th ave)
- more green spaces / green experiences
- encouragement of street level retail through podum re-design on appropriate buildings
- more vertical parking options (with automated parking systems)
- more reversible lanes for easier in/out
- put the LRT on 8th ave in the freakin' tunnel (way overdue)

Just a few ideas. Would probably take billions of dollars from all levels of government and private sector, including decades or red tape and politicians cannibalizing each other over it . . . But one can dream.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 03:14 PM   #2382
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
To ease that vacancy situation, I'd like to see the following things happen over the next 10 years:
- conversion of appropriate buildings to residential units
This is the most feasible idea, and will be growing in popularity going forward. There's already projects like this complete / underway in Calgary.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #2383
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I know its happening (e.g. corner of 11th and 11th), but it seems to be happening at a snail's pace. I hope I'm wrong.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #2384
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
Recession? What Recession....

Just more proof as to where balancing of the budget NEEDS to start,
Except that when the good times are rolling, the public sector doesn't see the giant 25% of salary bonuses and other perks of the private sector. There is a trade off that is made. Security (typically even through recessions) vs. large bonuses and higher salaries. I don't see folks in the private sector complaining when the good times are rolling and public sector employees are being left behind. It is pretty petty to then turn around and complain that those who took the security path should feel pain because you did...
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tripin_billie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #2385
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know its happening (e.g. corner of 11th and 11th), but it seems to be happening at a snail's pace. I hope I'm wrong.

This is from that same Meghan Potkins tweet, so the City does have it as a high priority.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #2386
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say the lion share of privately employed people aren't getting bonuses or 25% premiums on salary.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #2387
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripin_billie View Post
Except that when the good times are rolling, the public sector doesn't see the giant 25% of salary bonuses and other perks of the private sector. There is a trade off that is made. Security (typically even through recessions) vs. large bonuses and higher salaries. I don't see folks in the private sector complaining when the good times are rolling and public sector employees are being left behind. It is pretty petty to then turn around and complain that those who took the security path should feel pain because you did...
Are we pretending that Alberta public sector employees aren't pretty well paid now?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #2388
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
but I think it is fair to complain about the steep increase in public sector hires over the past 4 years.
how many of those were actually needed? probably not anywhere near the 45,000 extra positions created.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:31 PM   #2389
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
but I think it is fair to complain about the steep increase in public sector hires over the past 4 years.
how many of those were actually needed? probably not anywhere near the 45,000 extra positions created.
That's a fair argument. What I'm just trying to point out is that it feels like punching down when those who take the higher-reward-more-risk path fall on harder times and then want to inflict that pain on others.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:34 PM   #2390
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

- anchor tenants on ground level that meet basic demands (need a grocery store, hardware store, etc.) in the core
I've always wondered why this isn't more of a thing in the core downtown area. There's so much dead space in tower lobbies, why isn't more of that space used as commercial/restaurant/store space? Is it safety thing?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:34 PM   #2391
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a fair argument. What I'm just trying to point out is that it feels like punching down when those who take the higher-reward-more-risk path fall on harder times and then want to inflict that pain on others.
wait a minute. I think you're the one who was stirring crap in the Canadian politics thread, just for kicks.

I'm not falling for it here.

have a good night all. time to go.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #2392
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Are we pretending that Alberta public sector employees aren't pretty well paid now?
That probably depends on role and position. It is hard to compare something like teaching because outside of a few independent schools, there isn't a large private sector comparison. And I'm certain that there are roles that are well overpaid in the public sector but at the same time, there are plenty of people in roles such as attorneys and IT that could easily make much more in the private sector. But as I said, they are making that decision in return for security and probably a sense of pride in the mission.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #2393
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I've always wondered why this isn't more of a thing in the core downtown area. There's so much dead space in tower lobbies, why isn't more of that space used as commercial/restaurant/store space? Is it safety thing?
I think a lot of it is the +15 suck a lot of life out of street level. I was thinking it might be advantageous for restaurants to go 2 levels, so they can have exposure on ground and +15.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #2394
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm more offended by yet another Twitter genius taking two different economic scales and manipulating them so they appear analogous.

What a terrible pair of graphs...again. crazy_eoj go take a data analysis and statistics class my dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #2395
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think a lot of it is the +15 suck a lot of life out of street level. I was thinking it might be advantageous for restaurants to go 2 levels, so they can have exposure on ground and +15.
+15 is more daytime use though, is it not? I would think with more street access stuff, you'd drive more outside of work hours business within the core. I think you're pretty spot on with that assessment though.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #2396
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
+15 is more daytime use though, is it not? I would think with more street access stuff, you'd drive more outside of work hours business within the core. I think you're pretty spot on with that assessment though.
I guess the assumption form business owners is that there is no life after 5, so no need to cater to it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #2397
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:

You do realize public sector pension funds contain oil & gas investments?

I mean, BC Investment Management corp. has a position of over $18 million in Kinder Morgan shares that their own government is fighting them over.

I don't understand your point.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #2398
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
Recession? What Recession....

Just more proof as to where balancing of the budget NEEDS to start,

Graphs are a bit misleading since they are on two different scales. Graph 1 goes from 100% to 160% while graph 2 goes from 100% to 135%. If you plotted them both on the same chart you would see the public spending under performing private until they cross half way through the recession, so not as bad as you are showing.

Should the public spending continue to rise during the recession? Fair question
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #2399
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
You do realize public sector pension funds contain oil & gas investments?

I mean, BC Investment Management corp. has a position of over $18 million in Kinder Morgan shares that their own government is fighting them over.

I don't understand your point.
I'm not sure what they invest in is related to my point at all. The graph was trying to make the point that during the recession, compensation for public sector employees continued to grow (whether that was salary growth or number of staff is unclear). It was implied from that tweet that those employees should be penalized with cuts. My argument is that I don't ever see charts like that during growth periods showing the lack of bonuses or increased salaries for the public sector with an accompanying sense that it's unfair they aren't getting a share of the prosperity. I'm not even arguing they should. I'm just arguing that the chart presented is hitting down on a group of people that are just trying to do their jobs.
The Following User Says Thank You to tripin_billie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #2400
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well then they should do something about the cold! Perhaps burn more coal?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote