Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #1521
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

How can you not be happy about that starting rotation.

Even if Happ and Estrada regress (you have to think they will), Sanchez will be your Ace, Stroman is a great #2 and the back 3 are all totally serviceable.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:33 PM   #1522
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Like theAlpineOricale I've become much more optimistic about next season after this season's pitching. To have them all back pretty much makes us a threat on it's own.

I've also decided to mostly can the "rogers is cheap" stuff, if only because it's been beaten to death on here, but I've also just accepted that we're not going to be Yankees and Red Sox style spenders. So I can either accept that and cheer for the team as is or stop following. I'd rather follow.

The only thing that does legitimately scare me a little (and this is a valid, albeit minor concern, not a general shot at Rogers) is how much they've lost with this new hockey deal. The bluejays are their saving grace, but in a world of shareholders I do wonder if our GM and president may get the call that even their standard budget has been tightened.
Yup. That hockey deal scares the #### out of me, especially considering Rogers reports it's sports revenue all together for financial reporting purposes. Steal from Peter to pay Paul type of scenario.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:55 PM   #1523
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Like theAlpineOricale I've become much more optimistic about next season after this season's pitching. To have them all back pretty much makes us a threat on it's own.

I've also decided to mostly can the "rogers is cheap" stuff, if only because it's been beaten to death on here, but I've also just accepted that we're not going to be Yankees and Red Sox style spenders. So I can either accept that and cheer for the team as is or stop following. I'd rather follow.

The only thing that does legitimately scare me a little (and this is a valid, albeit minor concern, not a general shot at Rogers) is how much they've lost with this new hockey deal. The bluejays are their saving grace, but in a world of shareholders I do wonder if our GM and president may get the call that even their standard budget has been tightened.

Yeah that rotation looks pretty sweet.

I don't expect Happ to win 20 games again (maybe he will, who knows) and who knows what we'll get from Liriano, but Stroman seemed to turn a corner late in the summer, and if Sanchez' arm doesn't explode that rotation should be a really good start to building a winning team.

Plus they've got a good start on a bullpen also with Osuna, Biagini and Grilli.

It's a pretty nice spot to be in for the Jays to have their entire starting rotation and three best bullpen arms signed for what'll probably only end up being $50~ million total, especially if they don't cheap out and run a payroll of $160 million or more.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:04 PM   #1524
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

SP - (RHP) Sanchez
SP - (RHP) Estrada
SP - (LHP) Happ
SP - (RHP) Stroman
SP - (LHP) Liriano

BP - (RHP) Biagini
BP - (RHP) Grilli
BP - (RHP) Benoit
BP - (LHP) Cecil
BP - (LHP) Chapman
CL - (RHP) Osuna

I could handle a pitching staff like that to start next season.

With Sanchez, Stroman, Biagini and Osuna on the cheap, I'd guess that at around $70 million total payroll?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:17 PM   #1525
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Besides signing EE I think the Jays should make a play for Ian Desmond as an outfielder.

He's a decent hitter and a defensive upgrade on Bautista/Saunders.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:26 PM   #1526
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Besides signing EE I think the Jays should make a play for Ian Desmond as an outfielder.

He's a decent hitter and a defensive upgrade on Bautista/Saunders.
Yeah, decent power, speed and an OK glove.

Another right handed bat though.

Many fans seem to think Reddick is sure bet for a contract offer from the blue Jays.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:28 PM   #1527
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sad it's all over. Great run boys. Was a blast to watch and follow the discussion in this thread.

#1 offseason wish for me is a good outfielder who can lead off. Oh and Eddy.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:41 PM   #1528
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yeah, decent power, speed and an OK glove.

Another right handed bat though.

Many fans seem to think Reddick is sure bet for a contract offer from the blue Jays.
Ya Reddick is an interesting player.

His production fell off a cliff when he joined the Dodgers, this season he was barely replacement level after putting up some pretty good seasons for the A's the last few years.

His defence seems to be getting worse as he gets older.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:15 PM   #1529
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

This series was just so painful to watch. Losing so meekly is hard to take.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:51 AM   #1530
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The TV ratings tanking for hockey might actually force them to try keep the Jays competitive.

Really the Jays ratings are what is driving their TV ratings and ad revenue right now - Jays ratings drop off and their sports media division will look even worse.

The cuts they are making to do this are coming from other areas already (Shomi, print media)
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:08 AM   #1531
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do we think they'll pick up the $3 million option on Grilli?

That's a pretty decent bargain, I just wouldn't want him back as the 8th inning hold option.
For $3 million you might as well, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he completely falls apart next season.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:08 AM   #1532
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disappointing end, but how nice is it to finally be back in the mix of things after decades of mediocrity? I was at my athletic peak the last time the Blue Jays were in the playoffs. We'd play ball and then go watch the team at the local bar.

Hoping for more of the same next year.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 08:47 AM   #1533
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The TV ratings tanking for hockey might actually force them to try keep the Jays competitive.

Really the Jays ratings are what is driving their TV ratings and ad revenue right now - Jays ratings drop off and their sports media division will look even worse.

The cuts they are making to do this are coming from other areas already (Shomi, print media)
I agree. Not to mention the fans didn't start coming out until the team spent money, made moves, and became a contender. Why would now slash everything and take the profit and run? I don't think that would work and would actually lead to more losses at Rogers.

I expect the Jays to have a pretty simlar payroll next year to what they had this year, around the 150 range. I doubt they add but I don't expect cuts either. I still think though that most of their work will need to be done via trade. Its not a very good FA crop for what they are looking for. I don't mind Reddick but I think the deal he is going to get scares me. Dexter Fowler would be of interst to me more so then Reddick.
I think they'll look the trade route for OF help but maybe dable in FA for an arm or 2 for the bullpen. Grilli is an automatic pick up if he wants to play but I do think they need to find a true 8th inning guy.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #1534
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post

I expect the Jays to have a pretty simlar payroll next year to what they had this year, around the 150 range. I doubt they add but I don't expect cuts either. I still think though that most of their work will need to be done via trade.
Oh, I agree, I would think the Jays budget will be equal to last year if not higher.

However I bet the Jays are looking to revap their starting lineup specifically the hitters.

Bautista is starting to decline, I would think he won't be back

Encarnacion is going to be one of the top free agents, I would also guess he won't be back (My guess he signs with the Red Sox)

R. A Dickey is gone

Michael Saunders, not sure what the Jays will do with this player.

Brett Cecil is most likely gone
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:34 AM   #1535
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that rotation looks pretty sweet.

I don't expect Happ to win 20 games again (maybe he will, who knows) and who knows what we'll get from Liriano, but Stroman seemed to turn a corner late in the summer, and if Sanchez' arm doesn't explode that rotation should be a really good start to building a winning team.

Plus they've got a good start on a bullpen also with Osuna, Biagini and Grilli.

It's a pretty nice spot to be in for the Jays to have their entire starting rotation and three best bullpen arms signed for what'll probably only end up being $50~ million total, especially if they don't cheap out and run a payroll of $160 million or more.
I'm not as sold on Stroman as others. Zaun said last year that Stroman will be in the bullpen in a couple years because he has no downward trajectory on his pitches, and I think he may be spot on. Look at his stats the third time through the lineup, they are pretty bad. Sure seems to lend some credibility to what the former catcher was saying.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #1536
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Indians had a .168 batting average in the ALCS.

Lowest ever for a winning team in a playoff series.

I figured the Jays had a better chance this year of winning it all because of their pitching, I just didn't think their bats would go so silent that they couldn't outscore the other team.

.168 average

Jays pitchers were amazing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #1537
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Not a Jays fan, but EE is the more underrated hitter in baseball.

I think you have to keep him if you get rid of Bautista.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #1538
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw this graph from a week ago.

Crazy that the Jays ended up losing 4/5 games when you look at how close all those numbers are, and the |Jays outperformed in many instances.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #1539
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Missing that LOB row.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 12:25 PM   #1540
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp: